Why am I told that byod is not supported?

James Forney simJames Forney sim Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
Tried to activate online, it said device not supported. I then emailed and was told no product code for the phone and told call tech support. The tech suppor on phone said that it is not supported as a byod. It is sprint branded.

Answers

• Lman BizLman Biz Posts: 138FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    Not all Sprint phones are supported. I think FP has come a long way in supporting more devices, but I think each device requires different handshakes with the network. It is like if you have two different printers on your computer. Each printer requires different drivers to work with the computer. For each phone on the network, it requires someone to write code to accept it. There are also different operating systems that run on all these phones too, so it isn't just as simple as taking a sprint phone and activating it. It's unfortunate, that cell phones aren't more unified into an FCC standard so they will conform to things. You must also understand that technology moves so quickly, that it is difficult to standardize some things, which puts a big burden on trying to support all the devices out there. Companies come up with new ideas, and they want to change things too. For example, Apple has its own charging port, when everyone else in the world uses a standard USB. At least in the short term, until things really become standarized, companies will have a difficult time supporting all the devices out there. Companies with deep pockets such as Verizon do have the resources to do so, but a newcomer like FP and other MNVO's might not be able to support all the existing devices. Each year, new phones are released, and they are busy trying to support those. If you think about the entire process involved, it might be easier to understand why they can't support some things.
  • James Forney simJames Forney sim Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    That makes sense except when the phone is in the supported byod list and I was told that phone is only supported when purchased through freedompop. In which case it's not byod.
  • Kurt FaulknerKurt Faulkner Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    wait they have to write code to add phones to the supported list?
    I thought it was more of a list of numbers that Sprint keeps track of.. and all MVNOs need was the list for the models of phones that they allow them to activate, which is also the reason why they can't activate every device, because Sprint for a long while wouldn't allow Iphone activations on any MVNOs alone with other phones.
    @Kurt, well, yes and no. Every phone out there has its own little things about them. So, in order to activate it on a system, all the stars need to line up. Since there are numerous operating systems still in existence, supporting those becomes a headache. Just because they work on Sprint, doesn't mean that FP will support them, because it is possible that additional handshaking needs to take place. We must also understand, that allowing a device onto a system, also requires that the company officially support that device on their system. For example, tech support needs to be trained on each device they support. Generally, they all work very similar, but with a different OS, the options and features differ. So that is one reason why they just can't allow all Sprint phones onto the FP network. It takes time to integrate it in. I have seen COUNTLESS times that when a new phone is introduced, it takes a company 6 months to get close to being good at supporting it. Half of the support staff takes a long time to learn everything. So, customer support gets tied up. So there are several different reasons why a company doesn't support every device.
    @jjmnob: My opinion is, DON'T believe everything the first person tells you. Just ask yourself...is their answer logical? From your message, it is not. If it is on the list of supported phones, my opinion is, it should be able to be activated. When I call Verizon sometimes, I talk to 6 people, before I get the "correct" answer to solve an issue. For example, can you activate a Sprint Iphone 4 on Verizon? YES you can, but 95% of the people you talk to at Verizon tell you flat out no. I have done it twice now, with no "funny" stuff. Yes, you have to flash some things, but they will accept the MEID, since that phone is an officially "approved" phone. But yet, everyone will tell you that you can't. So the point is, if it isn't logical, dig further and deeper to find out "the truth". I'm not sure of you exact situation, but on the surface, it sounds very illogical.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    @jjmnob‌ - What is the MEID number on your phone?
    @Taylor meid 99000205406974
    @jjmnob - I searched in Sprint's database and am receiving an error code on their end. I have escalated to our development team for further investigation.
  • David J TanDavid J Tan Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Tyler none of my 3 Sprint bought Galaxy Victory can be activated on Freedompop despite them having clean ESN's and being able to be activate on other Sprint MVNO like Ringplus and Ting

Can you check why this is the case? Here are the ESN's:

• Miguel S.Miguel S. Posts: 364FP Flyer admin
    @David J Tan‌ We can see these devices are ready for activation, but our system is not recognizing the ESN's. I'll be escalating this to our dev team to try and get them added manually.
    @Taylor‌ it has gone through now however the phone itself is failing the activation process. I have done the factory reset and still goes through 5 retries and fails.
    @jjmnob‌ - It looks like our development team was able to get your phone set up and assigned to your account. You are still experiencing the same issues? Thank you in advance for your reply.
    @Taylor‌ it has gone through don't know why posts take so long to show. It has been activated for a week or more now. I did try to post a thank you but it didn't show yet.
    @Taylor‌ it has now been accepted, thank you.
This discussion has been closed.