**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Messaging App suddenly using up Data

Ashley KincsesAshley Kincses Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
Since installing Messaging version 20.00.842.0605 (Unsure if the update is when this began), the app has used up 226MB of Background Mobile Data in a month.

I do not use the texting often, and do not make phone calls when off WiFi... and I would expect that to show as foreground data anyway (Of which I've used a little over 1Mb) so I don't think this is a normal behavior of the App.

Not sure why it's suddenly gone wonky, I've never had issues with the Messaging app before.

Tried to make a bug report, but since I no longer hold a premium account I am unable to submit the ticket to let them know of this problem.

Comments

• Alan WeissbergerAlan Weissberger Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    The FP Messaging App was updated last Sunday and since then I can't make or receive voice calls away from a strong WiFi signal/network. I didn't have that problem before the FP Mesg'g App was updated showing a new screen and method of answering voice calls. No problems with text or Internet which are using LTE when I'm out of range from a WiFi network
  • dimusdimus Posts: 126FreedomPop Newbie
    Same problem here. Please fix ASAP.

• Allen Kurt Allen Kurt Posts: 74FreedomPop Newbie
    You need to make sure your phone doesn't do any background updating while on the network off of the
    WiFi connection.
  • stephenhusestephenhuse Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    Same problem since update. I submitted a ticket and the rep requested that I sync account data. However that did nothing, and I am currently waiting to hear back. The phone displays "Sorry Messaging isn't responding. Do you want to close it? [Wait - Report - Ok]"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 admin
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • stephenhusestephenhuse Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    The service rep suggested uninstalling the latest update. I was able to uninstall the messaging app and reinstall an earlier version from April 2017. This has fixed my issue.

APKmirror had the older version archived. I also recommend an app backup and restorer to archive previous version of FP messaging in case this is an issue again.
  • dimusdimus Posts: 126FreedomPop Newbie
    Messaging App ver. 20.00.842.0605 is buggy. Not only it consumes a lot of data, outgoing voice calls fail almost always on cellular network (they work while on Wi-Fi). You have to downgrade to ver. 19.02.789.0405 (from April 2017) that does not have all these problems.
  • Jonny_DJonny_D Posts: 56FreedomPop Newbie
    I also noticed this when I updated.

156mg of data used up, where as before there was a few mg used as I very rarely connect to the web on my phone and when I do it's over WiFi.

Everything on the phone is the same, i.e. the only thing that changed is updating the FreedomPop app.

You need to make sure your phone doesn't do any background updating while on the network off of the
    WiFi connection.

Could you let me know how would I do this please Allen?

TIA

• Jeffrey BurgerJeffrey Burger Posts: 278FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    To turn updates on or off, follow these steps:

Open Google Play.

Tap the hamburger icon (three horizontal lines) on the top-left.

Tap Settings.

Tap Auto-update apps.

If you want auto-update apps only when you're connected to a WiFi network, tap Auto-update apps over Wi-Fi only in the same pop-up.

More here: http://gadgets.ndtv.com/apps/features/how-to-turn-off-automatic-app-updates-in-android-ios-windows-phone-81-windows-81-634685
    I updated to version 20.02.888.0728 and this resolved the problem of disappearing data
  • James MadiganJames Madigan Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    maybe I could delete and reinstall messaging app. sometimes that fixes problems
  • James MadiganJames Madigan Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    My simm gsm phone has beein gobbling up my data, and it's mostly hte messaging app which is not supposed to be using up my plan data. I think there must be something set up wrong in my account where it's counting text use against my plan data. but the fp helper on twitter refuses to acknowledge that that is possible. What else could it be? I've added up all the listed data usages listed on the phone data page, and they add up to the amount that freedompop says is used of my plan. messaging used over 500 G this month so far. Now I have had to turn off data altogether until the month ends.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.