Excessive data usage by Messaging App (International 3G/4G SIM card on AT&T and T-Mobile)

dimusdimus Posts: 130FreedomPop Newbie
I use FP 3g/4g SIM card with unlocked phone (Samsung Galaxy Avant) that supports all 3g and 4g bands of AT&T and T-Mobile (if it is important). Data usage is relatively small (less than 250 MB per month), phone calls less than 100 mins per month. Suddenly I mentioned huge data usage for first 10 days of this billing cycle and main and only offender is Messaging App: 236 MB. How is it possible? Goofle Play auto updates are set to Wi-Fi only, so, it is not Messaging app update.

Comments

• limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    @dimus - which release of the Messaging app are you using? I've seen a couple of similar reports on the forum recently & these seemed to coincide with updating the app. Since you say that you have app update set to WiFi only, that should rule out the possibility of the data usage been app update downloads. If you have a backup of the previous version of the app's APK, you could try reverting to that and see if the usage goes back to normal.

I've also seen some reports (on the forum) & in the google play reviews) of the latest version of the app having in-app advertisements - perhaps these are causing some additional data usage? At the moment, this is just conjecture on my part, since I tend to wait a while before allowing the app to update, so I'm still on an earlier 19.xx version. (I also hate the whole idea of in-app ads, so am further inclined to avoid the current version for the time being...)
  • dimusdimus Posts: 130FreedomPop Newbie
    @limey - you may be right with idea of advertisement within the app, but 200MB in 2 days for ads only looks very strange.
  • DozerCSXDozerCSX Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    I am experiencing the same problem - I just activated my FreedomPop account this afternoon (using a Blu Life One X2 unlocked phone, with the FP SIM in the #2 slot), installed the Messaging app, configured everything, and have sent 20 messages today - my phone is showing 121MB in Messaging data usage! When I check my usage on the FP Usage web page, it is showing six separate entries at different times titled "Provisional Used" of 20MB each instance, and the FP page reports the same 121MB of data. There appears to be something very wrong with this usage - help!