**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

BYOD -- app works to call and receive, but no cellphone service

phredophredo Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
A few weeks ago I set up a plan with my unlocked Sprint-type Samsung S3. FP told me to also install the Messenger app, and I did that. The app logged into my account OK and works to make and receive calls. But I cannot call out unless I have wifi. The plan (apparently) did not include data, so although I'm unhappy with that, I didn't expect to have it, but I would like the ability to call and receive when I don't have wifi.

The situation is made more complicated by the fact that I don't have cell phone reception in my home, which is rural. So several times I've gone to locations that I know have Sprint service in order to try to get the phone working. So my phone will show bars (which may be an improvement from before I set up the account, but I don't remember for sure), but when I try to dial out, I get a "no data available message". I also have a notification that my phone did not finish "activating", and that I should try again to activate the phone by pressing the provided link. I've don't that three times now. The phone reboots, but nothing changed. I dialed the provided phone number, but it was Sprint, not FP, so I don't know what to make of that. The phone seems to be making use of data to do it's activating attempt, for what that's worth.

I'm wondering if there are phone settings I can make that would do the same thing as "activating" so that I could accomplish the activation process that way. Or I'd be grateful for any other ideas people might have.

Thanks,

Fred