Will Freedompop ever ring on the Iphone?

James SewellJames Sewell Posts: 67FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
What's the reality of that happening besides the current notification pop-up? Apple is very strict. I want it work like it does on my android when it takes over as the default phone app and actually rings.

will there be a cydia version of FreedomPop for the iPhone if ringing is not possible? Jailbreaking is not illegal and it will send a clear message to apple.

Granted, FreedomPop is a legit provider on the sprint network and I feel it should work over the default Iphone phone and messages app...but that is not the reality at this time so the freedompop app should work like the native phones and messaging apps.

Comments

• Lman BizLman Biz Posts: 138FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    Here is something I found on the internet:

"Another point is that the Freedompop Voice and Text app needs to be running (launched). Some of us regularly are "flicking" apps closed, rebooting the phone just to purge to many open items. If you do that, don’t forget to relaunch the FP app or you text messages won’t work, phone will not ring or VM will not give you an alert."

You might check that out. I'm guessing since you say you get a notification pop up, the app is probably running. Also, check all your sound settings on your iphone and make sure the sound isn't set to "silent", and turn on ALL the sounds just for a test then try it again.
  • James SewellJames Sewell Posts: 67FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your response @iman but a notification message that you pull down is not a ringer IMO. I need it to splash across the screen and for it ask me to answer or decline like on android. I have an android and iphone on freedompop...and the android app acts like the native android phone app. However, the iphone has better phone call quality imo...and the better app in terms of unification. But the iphone app does not ring like the iphone "phone" app.

the iphone app is like an email alert that repeats plus app doesn't work when you close it...no bueno! Also, even when you have the app open it doesn't show notifications on the lock screen...at least for my iphone 4.

Anyways I emailed customer support last week and they said an update for iphone should be coming out this week. Hopefully, it's not a notification fix...but a fix that makes it act just like the phone app. If that's not possible because apple is too strict... freedompop tell me now so I can just go with android.
  • Ricky BeamRicky Beam Posts: 9FreedomPop Newbie
    Notifications are the best you're going to get. Apple will not allow an app to supplant the native phone and messaging apps, nor can a user app replicate that functionality -- it'd be too easy to fool people and potentially do various nefarious things behind such apps. Yes, the FP app has to be running in the background; yes, it has to be allowed to pop notifications on the lock screen; and yes, it must be allowed background data access. As a primary, day-to-day phone, those would be deal breakers. (however, I don't use it like that, so I can live with it.)

But even on Android, their app has to be running. If you kill it (stop the "service"), it will stop working just like on the iPhone. However, the app will start on boot on an android device.
  • Jeff HoffmanJeff Hoffman Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Just started using FP with a BYOD iPhone5. It would be very nice to be able to answer an incoming call while the device is locked! As of now, I have to slide bar, enter pin code, open FP from notification, and hit answer. Not to mention, half of the time after I answer an incoming call, the ringtone continues to play in the background.
This discussion has been closed.