**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. The free trial lasts for 30 days, after which you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY
If you have not recently performed a Carrier Reset to your mobile device, we recommend doing so to ensure that your FreedomPop service is operating to its best capability. This does not cause the loss of any information saved on your mobile device. You can find instructions by selecting the following link: https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3017/

For additional topics related to your concern, please visit our online Self-Help Knowledge Base at https://support.freedompop.com

Made a 57-min call, and was also charged for 80 MB of data

SqueekySqueeky FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 2
I understand that FreedomPop uses VoiP, and that calls use data. It is my understanding, however, that calls are charged as "calls", and not as "data". Yesterday, I made a 57-minute call. After the call finished, I logged into my FreedomPop account to see how the call was accounted for. Under calls, it showed as one call of 57 minutes. Under "data", however, there were 4 entries, approximately 14 minutes apart, of 20 MB each. I have virtually all of my background data set to WiFi only. At the time of the call, the phone was being using only for the call, and the "start" and the "stop" of the data entries perfectly coincide with the call (and no data was used after the call).

My data isn't going to last very long at this rate.

Can anyone explain this? Thank you.

Answers

• fromtaipei-15 Hofromtaipei-15 Ho FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 6
    I have the same issue. It's using the data pool on calls. Have the latest Messaging ver 20.04.947.1003.
    1) When in Messaging app, the idal pad willl launch Hangouts Dialer ... not sure this is causing it
    2) Or which Phone app that Messaging app should use to avoid the data pool?
  • trackballtrackball FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought voip uses data, you might have 1 of those other myths mixed up, like 'incoming calls' are free or fp ph to fp ph is also free and a call to fp's toll free is free.
    I'll get back to ya on this, got it somewhere.
    @Squeeky, you're right, sometime they round off and later there might be a increase or credit, sometimes.

nj feb. 13th
    Its exactly how I mentioned in the post. All calls are blacklisted from taking data out of a call. Than if you read a little further in my answer, I give the data taken from a call, just to show how small the data is(data placed in a call is almost nothing). The data used on the app being active will typically use more data than placing calls, unless you are on the phone 24/7. Most user will find, if they have no home wifi, that the Free plan is not for them. They'll have to pay for a bigger plan.

Most users fail to realize, that Androids/Iphones are tiny computers that require data to operate. No matter what, a App used on any phone will take data when it is configured to run in the background when not used. FreedomPop has to run in the background, so it takes data outside of the normal calls placed or received. Here I normally average around 8-15mbs an hour using the FreedomPop app. I have heard users claim theirs only uses around 3-4mbs an hour. The better the signal the less data you would use. LTE will use less data than 3G.

A 3G only phone, or if you are in a 3G only area, will take you data quickly. Those are also users that need to be on a paid plan. 500mbs will not last long in a 3G only area. Luckily FreedomPop uses Compression software when we place and receive calls. So 3G or 4G will hardly use data. When using 3G only, it all the other apps in the background that can kill.

You get users constantly, That complain they got charged data, and when they look at the app in Data Usage, it shows data consumption. Of Course, they blame this on calls. Than they create a ticket stating the app used data in a call. But when you look close, it normally just the data used on having that app active. If FreedomPop uses data in a call by accident, you will see a credit..Normally when you see something like this. because of how small the data used when making a call, the discrepancy is around 1-5mbs. Followed by a credit of the same amount.

So on average the app use 7-15 mbs an hour on Idle, not open or being used. Open and being used may bring that total up to around 15-20 mbs and hour.

So if you make a 15 min call on a VOIP app, the data used would normally be 2.5mbs on 4G/HSPA+ or 19mbs on 3G/2g Edge. That data would not be taken out of your allotted monthly amount. It will still take 15 mins out of the 200 Minutes of the calls you have, just will not charge you data. Same for out bound calls.

FreedomPop’s Compression software (when used) equals out to .65mbs per min 3g and .05 per min 4g (average), its best to just use this average--> (4G/3G at ".35mbs per min). Just a tiny amount is used. It takes more data just to have the app installed and running. So a 15 min call would equal around .75 mbs on 4G and 9.75 mbs on 3G. Normaly you data stream may change during a call, so I like to average it out to .35mbs per min, or a 15 min call would be 5.25mbs.

Hope that makes sense...LOL
    NJ
  • Jeffrey BurgerJeffrey Burger FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 90
    edited October 16 #5
    delete post

Post edited by Jeffrey Burger on
    So on average the app use 7-15 mbs an hour on Idle, not open or being used.

So off WiFi this is saying the FP app will use anywhere from 7-15 MB per hour? This would mean 500 MB would get used up in a month just by being off WiFi for 1-2 hours per day, while doing nothing?

I have not watched it that closely and am not away from WiFi a lot, but didn't think that my phone was using much data when I am off WiFi, unless I was actually doing something with it.
    This is a post from nj/ful/wider5, a old post when you got 500megs.
    I understood that. (and still do get 500 MB with the sprint network plan, but that's not what I am questioning.)

What I am wondering about is the data usage on idle that he is reporting. Since I was out for an hour today, I decided to check and phone used less than 1 MB according to the data usage reported on my freedompop account, the total was 709 KB. That's 1/10 of the low end of his range, unless he meant something other than megabytes by "mbs".

My phone also shows a total of 6.24 MB usage by the FP messaging app and I am 8 days into the current billing cycle. This also probably corresponds to something under 1 MB per hour during the time I have been off WiFi.
    There could be other apps running in the background, always pinging your ph. email, fbook, twater, whatever.
    Some mems. check their ph's setting - usage pg, to compare fp's data drain.
    These apps also drain your battery.
    I pass along nj's stuff and other mems. posting, I wish mems would just do a search.