**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Trying to activate Apple iPad AIR

CYAHOOCYAHOO FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 2
Hi,
I bought the Freedompop version of both the data only and data + phone gsm sim card. I placed them into my iPad Air (not AIR II) and it tells me that I still can't connect. Is there anything I need to do? The iPAD is factory unlocked. My account shows it linked to a Novatel MiFi 500 which is a CDMA device but the card sent is GSM so I'm trying to reuse these cards in a GSM compatible device. May need to do a device swap to clear out the MIFI and add the iPAD

Thank you

Answers

• tom_kingtom_king FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 2
    I was exasperated with FreedomPop's awful tech support, but I finally figured it out.

You need to set up your APN settings for a "US LTE SIM". Not a global SIM like you might assume. Go here: https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3322 That step by step is pretty well written.

In my Cellular Data settings, my iPad showed "manage my AT&T account" even though I never had AT&T. Now that it is working for cellular data, it still shows AT&T, don't ask me why.

One other gotcha. At step 4 in the link above, you need to click on an install button, but it displays and disappears in an instant. I had to go through the process six times before I could locate and hit that button.

Why don't these pinheads make it easier to find help? When you call FreedomPop, their tech support phone gives no info besides the web site address. The web site either told me nothing, or told me to call them. :( :(
  • tom_kingtom_king FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 2
    You need to set up your APN, described here. https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3322 That worked for me.

The option you want is US LTE SIM, not Global SIM. And when you try installing the APN configuration, be ready. My install button only stayed on the screen for an instant, and I had to do the whole thing six times before I was fast enough.

FreedomPop premium phone support is a ****.
  • Electrox3dElectrox3d FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 1
    Just my experience: I already knew how to set up the APN because its written on the package from freedompop, maybe its an updated package? Anyway, that part was clear. The issue I had was even after setting up the APN, I could see that I had signal, but there was no LTE network, no network at all. The issue ended up being that even though freedompop says if you bought the sim card from them, its pre-activated, that is wrong. I had to still go activate it over wifi at freedompop.com/activate. After I did that, I still had to reboot the device. Then it all worked.
  • CarlosGCarlosG Posts: 247 admin

Just my experience: I already knew how to set up the APN because its written on the package from freedompop, maybe its an updated package? Anyway, that part was clear. The issue I had was even after setting up the APN, I could see that I had signal, but there was no LTE network, no network at all. The issue ended up being that even though freedompop says if you bought the sim card from them, its pre-activated, that is wrong. I had to still go activate it over wifi at freedompop.com/activate. After I did that, I still had to reboot the device. Then it all worked.

Hi Electrox3d,

Not all of our SIM cards are preactivated, and this mainly depends on the promotions purchased. However, this is beneficial for customers, as it allows you to receive the full promotional month of Free services whereas preactivation removes a few days, used for shipping, from the free month. Should you have any issues at all, our team will gladly assist you.