**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. The free trial lasts for 30 days, after which you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY
If you have not recently performed a Carrier Reset to your mobile device, we recommend doing so to ensure that your FreedomPop service is operating to its best capability. This does not cause the loss of any information saved on your mobile device. You can find instructions by selecting the following link: https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3017/

For additional topics related to your concern, please visit our online Self-Help Knowledge Base at https://support.freedompop.com

Why is my phone demanding Android Messages?

Jeffrey BurgerJeffrey Burger FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 134
I keep getting notification that SMS is not supported, tells me to install Android Messages. I have FP messages as default and it seems to working.

Comments

• kerstuffkerstuff FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    That is coming directly from Google. Hangouts no longer let's you sms. It's been removed because they are preparing it for business use. Google will be implementing a dialer per their forum. I would install Google Voice but keep the Hangouts dialer app for now.
  • Jeffrey BurgerJeffrey Burger FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 134
    edited August 13 #3
    Well, currently I don't want hangouts, google voice, or Android messages. I wouldn't care about the extra apps, if freedompop would've allowed this phone to go to marshmallow, as it is supposed to. Since they didn't the 8gb of internal storage is somewhat limiting.

I found a setting to turn off app suggestions, I'll see if that gets rid of the notification.
    (edit) That didn't work. Oh well, it's only wasting 40 MB.
    Post edited by Jeffrey Burger on
  • kerstuffkerstuff FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    I noticed your pic said Hangouts and that's why I responded. Have a good weekend.
    edited August 13 #5
    Oh, no problem. That can't be deleted from Android. Probably later versions won't allow the their new Messages app to be removed :smile: .
    Post edited by Jeffrey Burger on
    kerstuff said:

I noticed your pic said Hangouts and that's why I responded. Have a good weekend.

I decided to give it another try yesterday, to see if I could uninstall the Android Messages app and then get rid of those notifications.

Only this morning did I realize the notification telling me "SMS is no longer supported..." was coming from Google Hangouts..."hey, that little green symbol means hangouts". I'd been thinking the notification was telling me the phone would not be able to receive SMS at all, that somehow it was not accepting the FP messaging app as the one to get SMS.

I just had to uncheck the "show notifications" box for hangouts.