Offered new LTE SIM, but I travel internationally. Should I just keep Global SIM?

Eli ShererEli Sherer Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
edited August 2017 in International Calling #1
Just received an email offering me the new LTE SIM card for my account (I have two SIM cards active right now). But I'm not sure if this will work. I have a Global SIM with the Global Basic 200 plan, (I travel to Europe quite a bit). There is NO mention in the offer whether this will work in Europe or elsewhere!

Is upgrading mandatory?

I'd like the faster speeds, but MUST be able to use the phone in Europe.

Can someone clarify??
Post edited by Eli Sherer on
Tagged:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12

Just received an email offering me the new LTE SIM card for my account (I have two SIM cards active right now). But I'm not sure if this will work. I have a Global SIM with the Global Basic 200 plan, (I travel to Europe quite a bit). There is NO mention in the offer whether this will work in Europe or elsewhere!

Is upgrading mandatory?

I'd like the faster speeds, but MUST be able to use the phone in Europe.

Can someone clarify??

Hello,

I would suggest getting a Global SIM if you do plan on traveling to Europe! :) I provided a link that shows what countries are supported.

https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3003/kw/global
  • Eli ShererEli Sherer Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    OK... so I should ignore the offers of LTE?! Because it won't help with the international travel. Right?
  • limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    @Eli Sherer - until @Karina or someone from FP categorically states that the upgrade LTE SIM works internationally (her reply above would seem to indicate that they don't), or that taking the offer doesn't invalidate/replace the existing Global SIMs on your account, I'd be inclined to wait & hang on to the Globals, if you intend to travel outside the states.
  • qdrawqdraw Posts: 9FreedomPop Newbie, FP Flyer
    Yes, I'm in the same boat currently using a global sim. Will my sim, which I use almost exclusively both home and abroad, soon stop working?
  • Eli ShererEli Sherer Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    I also don't know if there is a "minimum use" requirement... I have a SIM I use for international travel, and after some months of not having it on the phone, the number was removed. It seems the card is still active, but I had to get a new number (and it is not in my area at all).
  • limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭

I also don't know if there is a "minimum use" requirement... I have a SIM I use for international travel, and after some months of not having it on the phone, the number was removed. It seems the card is still active, but I had to get a new number (and it is not in my area at all).

I would assume that the same usage conditions revealed in the linked post below from one of the FP forum admins, will apply (so, yes):
    https://forums.freedompop.com/us/discussion/comment/101138#Comment_101138
  • Cliff StinsonCliff Stinson Posts: 18FreedomPop Newbie
    I've been using the Global SIM and also getting the "URGENT - you need to upgrade to LTE" emails. But it seems there is no LTE Global SIM.

Also, starting on Sept 1, 2017, my iPhone stopped connecting to AT&T in the United States. It shows as an available carrier, but the Global SIM will now only connect to T-Mobile "E" network in the U.S., and is often very slow to connect at all. I assume just a cost-cutting measure by FP to cancel the AT&T contract.
  • ddavisterddavister Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    I also use a Global SIM card and have seen the LTE upgrade messages. @Karina recommended getting a new Global SIM card, but at the link she provides above it clearly states that the "Global SIM Card is not being sold at this time.". Is the Global service being discontinued? What options do we have for continued international service and the LTE upgrade?
  • DejayDejay Posts: 28FreedomPop Newbie, FP Flyer
    Did you all here in the comments ever signed up to the WhatsApp Global sim plan? I been using it for over 1 year now and to me that was the best deal that Freedompop has ever given customers here. I hope you all can still opt in. If not, that will be terrible. At first, I know it was a beta plan. But I tried pushing the word out to many people about it. But no one really jumped on that deal. That would be very useful in most cases.
  • woody1woody1 Posts: 12FreedomPop Newbie
    I also use my Global SIM for international travel. These are questions we need answers to:
    1. Is the Global SIM being discontinued? If so, when will it stop working?
    2. If we want international coverage, should we keep the Global card?
    3. Please provide some guidance!
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,298FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    @woody1 and others:
    1. It is described as out of stock with no more coming. It will continue to operate for the present time.
    2. Yes ! Only way to use in the 'other' 24 countries.
    3. Ok
    4. Feel free to order a 99c special on 4G LTE (not upgrade) on separate email / account. It is USofA only. But might be useful when not traveling. Can always leave it on FREE status to keep charges low.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • Michael CalgaroMichael Calgaro Posts: 14FreedomPop Newbie
    still no official word on this??
    Will the new LTE sim work internationally?
    Will the old global sim continue to work only internationally?
  • espace line2espace line2 Posts: 46FreedomPop Newbie
    @Michael Calgaro @Rich Sias (16th) @woody1 @Dejay @ddavister @Cliff Stinson @limey @Eli Sherer @Karina
    FP has posted the new LTE SIM will not work internationally, it's LTE for ATT US towers only.

FP also posted, only SOME (the oldest) of the global SIMs will stop working. This is vague and requires FP to provide more detail... older than WHICH DATE ??

FP posted that, if you received an email saying, urgent, your global sim will stop working on (first week of) January 2018, then your Global SIM is one of the oldest ones and should stop working.

Maybe adding WhatsApp will make it continue to work?

Maybe nothing you can do will make it continue to work?

This Global SIM issue (only older SIMs ?! before which date?!) is something FP needs to explain in more detail.

FP needs to help Global SIM owners continue Free 200 Global SIM service, in whichever way possible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,553
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.