Using FreedomPop in China over WiFi

xuswordxusword Posts: 13FreedomPop Newbie
Hi

A relative of mine in China wants to keep a US number for some very light usage. I am thinking of sending him my freedompop SIM (GSM) card, but I don't know what would happen. Does any know?

1. Will he be able to use the SIM card on his own cell phone? Or does the SIM have to activated on a cell phone in the US first?
2. Will he be able to make and receive calls from China over Wifi?
3. Will the account be considered active even though it would never connect to the AT&T network for extended period of time?

Answers

• limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    1. The FP SIM won't provide a cellular connection in China, as it's not on the list of supported countries. HK is on the 'Coming soon' list, but has been in that status for a long time. It would probably be wise to initially setup/activate the SIM in the USA first. You may need to obtain the FP Messaging apk from the USA Play Store, as it might not be available from Chinese IP addresses.

2. Making/receiving calls via the FP number over WiFi should be possible, provided VOIP traffic isn't being blocked/firewalled.

3. This is a good question - going by the recent forum post by one the FP Forum Admins, an outgoing call every 60 days is required to keep accounts active - however, one of the FP Support staff contradicted this in a ticket I recently opened, saying that cellular data use determined whether an account was considered active. If the latter turns out to be true, then you'd probably have a problem, since the account's data use in China would be exclusively over WiFi (unless FP add China to the supported country list).

https://forums.freedompop.com/us/discussion/comment/101138#Comment_101138
  • Jonny_DJonny_D Posts: 56FreedomPop Newbie
    Posting this here as my question seems relevant to this topic.

I'm going away traveling in November and returning February 2018

What do I need to do to keep my SIM active?

TIA

JD
    limey said:

1. The FP SIM won't provide a cellular connection in China, as it's not on the list of supported countries. HK is on the 'Coming soon' list, but has been in that status for a long time. It would probably be wise to initially setup/activate the SIM in the USA first. You may need to obtain the FP Messaging apk from the USA Play Store, as it might not be available from Chinese IP addresses.

2. Making/receiving calls via the FP number over WiFi should be possible, provided VOIP traffic isn't being blocked/firewalled.

3. This is a good question - going by the recent forum post by one the FP Forum Admins, an outgoing call every 60 days is required to keep accounts active - however, one of the FP Support staff contradicted this in a ticket I recently opened, saying that cellular data use determined whether an account was considered active. If the latter turns out to be true, then you'd probably have a problem, since the account's data use in China would be exclusively over WiFi (unless FP add China to the supported country list).

Limey did you ever find out if making/receiving a call/text via WiFi whilst in another country counts towards keeping an account active?

PS I'll be in Thailand
    Jonny_D said:

limey said:

Limey did you ever find out if making/receiving a call/text via WiFi whilst in another country counts towards keeping an account active?

PS I'll be in Thailand
    Not beyond what I'd already posted, I'm afraid. The only new info that's come out since then, is that data usage <5Mb might cause you to get the $0.01 'maintenance charge', but that support person I mentioned was adamant that cellular data usage was being used to determine account use. You might want to try submitting a ticket asking this & seeing if you get the same/different answer.
    Thanks Limey, I've submitted a ticket and will update the thread when it gets answered
    Heard back from FreedomPop and connecting and making a call via WiFi while in another country will keep the account open.

I was given this advice if the account does go dormant due to non use

Please be advised that if you do not use your device for 30 days or more, your account will go into a "Dormant" status.

To reactivate it, simply log in at my.freedompop.com and click on the reactivate button. After reactivation, turn the phone off and then on again.

Your device may go into a temporary dormant state after an extended period with no reported data usage. Should your device be placed in a dormant state, you can simply reactivate it with one click by logging in to your FreedomPop account and clicking the prompt to "Wake Up."

After your device is reactivated, we recommend turning it off, waiting 10 seconds, and then turning the phone on again. You can prevent your device from going dormant by simply connecting and using your device at least once per month.
    Jonny_D said:

Heard back from FreedomPop and connecting and making a call via WiFi while in another country will keep the account open.

I was given this advice if the account does go dormant due to non use

Please be advised that if you do not use your device for 30 days or more, your account will go into a "Dormant" status.

To reactivate it, simply log in at my.freedompop.com and click on the reactivate button. After reactivation, turn the phone off and then on again.

Your device may go into a temporary dormant state after an extended period with no reported data usage. Should your device be placed in a dormant state, you can simply reactivate it with one click by logging in to your FreedomPop account and clicking the prompt to "Wake Up."

After your device is reactivated, we recommend turning it off, waiting 10 seconds, and then turning the phone on again. You can prevent your device from going dormant by simply connecting and using your device at least once per month.

@Jeffrey Burger was eagle-eyed enough to spot this recent addition to the FP Terms & Conditions:
    https://forums.freedompop.com/us/discussion/comment/109528#Comment_109528

Since the updated T&C article doesn't mention data usage affecting number recycling, then hopefully, making that call over WiFi should be sufficient to avoid losing the number.
  • Jeffrey BurgerJeffrey Burger Posts: 319FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Dormant account seems like not that big a deal as you just have to log on and click?

But to keep your number you must call/text (per T&C it does not have to be an outgoing call, making or receiving call or text is all that is needed) using the FP app every 60 days. Seems like this should not be much of an issue for those of us who don't use hangouts or similar alternatives to the FP app and don't have a bunch of extra accounts/numbers.
    I'm in Thailand and have been making calls, sending texts with the FreedomPop app when connected to WiFi and also over Data in Cambodia with no problems.

Logged into my account and call/text costs are listed as standard.

One thing I noticed is that when I want to make a call with my Thai/Cambodian SIM I need to stop the FreedomPop app in application manager before being able to do so.

Another FYI, if you want to "Sync account" then you will need to put your freedom pop SIM in your phone as if you don't, the app will get stuck in a "Push notifications" loop and you will no longer be able to make/receive calls or texts until the app syncs up with the freedom pop server.

PS I've also posted this info in another thread and am doing so again here as is relevant information