**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Incoming calls don't ring unless Messaging app running

FantomasFantomas Posts: 13FreedomPop Newbie
At some point, incoming calls stopped ringing my phone unless I happen to have the FreedomPop Messaging app running. Calls used to ring the phone even if the app was not running or if the screen was asleep. I have reset the profile and PRL, and dialed ##72786#, and synced my account data from within Messaging app.

Comments

• Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 719FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭
    Unless you are paying for "Premium Voice" on your Sprint-based phone, you will need the messaging app to make and recieve calls. FreedomPop is a Voice-over-IP phone service.
  • FantomasFantomas Posts: 13FreedomPop Newbie
    I cancelled my premier bundle (with Premium Voice) at the end of the previous monthly cycle.

I understand that FreedomPop uses VOIP; but it does not necessarily follow from the use of VOIP that the FreedomPop app would have to be running all the time for inbound calls. Isn't that what push notifications are for, to prompt the phone to act? The fact that you have to use the app to dial, rather than the native phone dialer, is easy enough to understand though not intuitive to everyone; that's why there is so much confusion apparent from users who get their dialers mixed up. The app itself causes some of this confusion by jumping in to the native phone dialer (on my phone, called "Contacts") which then sometimes bypasses FreedomPop dialing.

It would be nice if FreedomPop could document the precise usage of their phones and apps. Absolutely not-obvious-at-all that the FreedomPop messaging app must be running all the time to receive phone calls.
  • limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    @Fantomas - when you say running with regard to the FP Messaging app, do you mean running in foreground (ie: the app is actually open on-screen)? The app needs to be running, but should be OK running in background (ie: it should still appear under the Running tab of the App manager, even if not opened onscreen).

Typically, problems occur because the push notifications time out - this happens silently, so you don't know that there's an issue until somebody complains that you never answer your phone (because it didn't ring). In the past, one solution was to install something like one of PNF notification fixer apps from the playstore & set the heartbeat interval low enough to keep notifications working.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andqlimax.pushfixer.noroot&hl=en
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andqlimax.pushfixer&hl=en

The Messager app at some point, has had a Enable push notifications checkbox added under Settings->Network - it may be worth enabling this (if not already enabled).

Make sure that the phone is set to keep WiFi on during sleep (this only affects you when on a WiFi connection, rather than cellular). If you use a battery management app (or the Doze feature of later android OS versions), ensure that you have the Messager app whitelisted from been killed & that any features to automatically disable data connectivity to save power are turned off.

The last thing to try, is to revert back to an earlier version of the Messaging app & see if that helps. FWIW, I've found that when I tried one of the version 20.x releases, that I started seeing the issue with incoming calls failing to ring, so reverted back to the last 19.x release, which seemed to clear up the issue in my case. YMMV, but might be worth a try.
  • Adolfo GalvanAdolfo Galvan Posts: 719FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭
    @Fantomas The FP Messaging app is the program that handles all phone calls and texts. The app takes over the dialer to make phone calls, but the outbound call uses the FreedomPop Messaging app. The app is always talking to the FreedomPop phone server in order to send an incoming call to you. If you are not paying for Premium Voice, the call will route to the app, no longer to the dialer app on the phone.
  • Keith JKeith J Posts: 34FreedomPop Newbie
    limey said:

Typically, problems occur because the push notifications time out - this happens silently, so you don't know that there's an issue until somebody complains that you never answer your phone (because it didn't ring). In the past, one solution was to install something like one of PNF notification fixer apps from the playstore & set the heartbeat interval low enough to keep notifications working.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andqlimax.pushfixer.noroot&hl=en
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.andqlimax.pushfixer&hl=en

The Messager app at some point, has had a Enable push notifications checkbox added under Settings->Network - it may be worth enabling this (if not already enabled).

The last thing to try, is to revert back to an earlier version of the Messaging app & see if that helps. FWIW, I've found that when I tried one of the version 20.x releases, that I started seeing the issue with incoming calls failing to ring, so reverted back to the last 19.x release, which seemed to clear up the issue in my case. YMMV, but might be worth a try.

I mainly use Hangouts and was missing many incoming calls. I tried the older version of the Messaging app and it didn't help. I also tried to enable push notifications but it would not stay enabled on reboot for some reason.
    Your suggestion of the 'Push Notifications Fixer' seems to have solved the problem in my case. Thank you @limey.
  • vorapong nopachindavorapong nopachinda Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    I find FP service unrealized.. sometimes it work other is not.You need the phone service that work...not sometimes work...so it good to be backup phone ...not the primary phone you depend on.