Why does the DHCP Reserved Address Hang the Modem/Router?

Dan BaconDan Bacon Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
Whenever I attempt to reserve an IP Address that was assigned by the DHCP on the HUB Burst my modem/router becomes unresponsive. The only way to get the device to respond is to reboot the device. If I recall correctly I believe I have to reset the device not just reboot.

Best Answer

Answers

• JAY SANCHEZJAY SANCHEZ Posts: 410FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    Don't do that; it goes against the DHCP rules. I know, it doesn't explain why the Hub is hanging, but you're still doing it wrong.

The correct way to do is to limit the range of addresses used by DHCP (say, from 192.168.1.11 to 192.168.1.100), and then if you want to use a static address pick one that is not in that range (say, 192.168.1.101.)
  • Dan BaconDan Bacon Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Jay thanks for the answer but I am confused. With all the other routers I have configured I could do this. In most you simply clicked a button next to the entry in the dynamic addresses table and it would reserve that address for that mac id. So I don't understand the need to be outside the DHCP range but I will try to do what you suggest.

If my device(s) does not have a method to set its own ip address then I guess there is not a way to reserve the address. Is that correct?
    edited July 2014 #5
    You can reserve IP addresses for given MAC IDs with your Hub. I do not have the instructions in front of me but I can get them for you.
    edited July 2014 #6
    To answer your second concern: In theory you're right. If there's no way to set up the device's IP address then you're stuck. On the other hand, though, I have worked with literally hundreds of devices in the past, and I have yet to find a single one where you cannot manually set the IP address for it.