BYOD vs SIM?

Peter O ConnorPeter O Connor Posts: 9FreedomPop Newbie
Hey all. I'm a bit confused as to what's the best way to go about getting started. I have an LG LS720 (Optimus F3) that was originally a Virgin Mobile phone. It is my understanding that I can leave it locked to the Sprint network and do the standard BYOD activation, or unlock the phone and activate it with a SIM only. Is that correct? Is there any advantage to doing it either way?

Best Answer

• limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017 #2 Accepted Answer
    @Peter O Connor - For your F3, BYOD is the way to go.

Although the F3 LS720 version has a SIM slot, it's only used to authenticate the LTE service (on band 1900, IIRC). The phone isn't capable of receiving any 2G or 3G GSM bands & even if the SIM slot was unlocked, you'd probably only be able to get an international unlock, which would only permit use on networks supporting the 1900 band for LTE outside the USA. I'm not sure that the installed F3 firmware would even allow that.

Answers

• Peter O ConnorPeter O Connor Posts: 9FreedomPop Newbie
    @limey are you sure about the no 3g? This was my ex's phone so I never played with it much until recently but I know it falls back on some kind of data connection under 4g. As far as the actual unlock goes, I got the unlock code directly from VM USA but who knows what that's actually worth. The phone is currently running the v8 version of the rom and it doesn't seem to want to cooperate with unlocking but I figured if I really wanted to go that route I could install an older rom. I believe v5 and back are known for playing nicer with unlocking.

But regardless, I went ahead and did the BYOD activation just to get it up and running for now, although I was only able to fire off one initial test sms. No sms or voice service since. I do have a data connection bc email and general internet connectivity seem fine. I have done the carrier reset multiple times but no fix as of yet :\
    @Peter O Connor - I don't believe that the LS720 version has the hardware/firmware to support 2G/3G GSM bands:
    http://www.phonemore.com/lg-optimus-f3-ls720/specs/929
    https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_optimus_f3-5509.php

Do you have FP's Messager app installed? FP's voice/text services are handled by their VOIP app - you won't have a traditional cellular voice service (unless you also have their premium voice service).
    Hmm interesting. I wonder what it is that it falls back on under 4g then. Clearly I don't know enough about mobile device technology.

I do have the FP app installed but like I said I was only able to get that one initial test sms sent. After the phone rebooted it hasn't worked since

Hmm interesting. I wonder what it is that it falls back on under 4g then. Clearly I don't know enough about mobile device technology.

I do have the FP app installed but like I said I was only able to get that one initial test sms sent. After the phone rebooted it hasn't worked since

Can you describe what you mean by 'falls back to 4G'? When the F3 shows 4G in the notification bar, it's pulling LTE courtesy of the Sprint SIM.

If you've got data, then I'd guess that phone is successfully activated. Did you use the FP app to send that Text? Have you tried Syncing data from the app's menu?
    I just meant device-wise not FP service specific- when the phone doesn't have a 4g signal it still maintains a data connection but substantially slower. I meant whatever data service the phone falls back on by default when no 4g is available.

The good news is the phone has full functionality today. Everything is working. Not sure what happened during the night but hopefully just a gremlin that worked it's way out :smiley:

I just meant device-wise not FP service specific- when the phone doesn't have a 4g signal it still maintains a data connection but substantially slower. I meant whatever data service the phone falls back on by default when no 4g is available.

Ah, ok - it's most likely falling back to 2G or 3G CDMA data.

The good news is the phone has full functionality today. Everything is working. Not sure what happened during the night but hopefully just a gremlin that worked it's way out :smiley:

Sometimes, it seems to take a while for FP's backend to catch up with things.

Ahh ok I hadn't realized there were different 2g/3g bands