**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Is it possible to use FP sim with GPS tracker?

William DzurillaWilliam Dzurilla Posts: 24FreedomPop Newbie
Would an FP sim work with a GPS tracker like this one:
https://www.amazon.com/LKGPS-LK109-3G-Children-Disabled-Tracking/dp/B075F6VDRW/ref=sr_1_3?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1509388639&sr=8-3&keywords=Lk109+gps
These small devices enable us to tracks kids, seniors, and pets via GPS. They require a GSM sim card.

My guess is that the FP sim won't work because the FP app cannot be loaded to the tracker.

Comments

• Russell RamseyRussell Ramsey Posts: 10FreedomPop Newbie
    No. Most GPS trackers use 3G and FP sims use only LTE. Even if you use a sim that has 3G fallback; carriers are cannibalizing thier 2G and 3G bands to add to LTE in U.S. You might find a 4G tracker; however, the frequency bands of the device need to match what your local towers are using.
  • limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017 #3

No. Most GPS trackers use 3G and FP sims use only LTE. Even if you use a sim that has 3G fallback; carriers are cannibalizing thier 2G and 3G bands to add to LTE in U.S. You might find a 4G tracker; however, the frequency bands of the device need to match what your local towers are using.

@Russell Ramsey - 4G support is not yet an absolute requirement, though your comment about reusing existing 2G & 3G bandwidth does mean it may become so in the future.

I'm currently using FP's LTE SIM on AT&T's 3G without problems. Their 2G is pretty much dead, though.

@William Dzurilla - As for the GPS tracker, my guess is it depends whether the device needs to use voice/text calls to use/configure - these won't work without the FP app, but if the device communicates via a data connection to a predefined server, then it could theoretically work - see if you can find the English manual for it online. There might be downloads at this site, but the google drive links didn't work for me when I just tried.
  • William DzurillaWilliam Dzurilla Posts: 24FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks for the replies. The tracker does not use voice or text, only data. If FP data works without the app, I may be in luck. Anyone know for sure?

If the FP sim is 4G only, the LK109 won't work. It only works with 2G and 3G. If the FP sim has 3G fallback, the LK109 may work with FP. AT&T has largely discontinued its 2G net and 3G may be discontinued in the future, but it is working now. Does the FP sim have 3G fallback?

I'm currently using a GPS tracker that only works with 2G networks. It does not work with FP or any other provider using the AT&T network, but it does work fine on T-Mobile, which still has its 2G net working.
    edited October 2017 #5

Thanks for the replies. The tracker does not use voice or text, only data. If FP data works without the app, I may be in luck. Anyone know for sure?

Can't say for sure that the tracker will work, but if you try this, I'd select the data-only FP LTE SIM, as there's no need for voice & no need for the app with it.

Does the FP sim have 3G fallback?

Yes, it does. It even used to fallback to 2G when I first got it, but AT&T turned 2G off in my area.

Thanks limey, this may work. Guess it is worth $1 to give it a try. The LK109 only works on these 3G frequencies: 850/900/1900/2100mhz (3G WCDMA). Are those OK for FP?
    Thanks, limey. Guess it is worth $1 to give it a try. The LK109 only works on these 3G frequencies: 850/900/1900/2100mhz (3G WCDMA). Are those OK for FP data?

Thanks, limey. Guess it is worth $1 to give it a try. The LK109 only works on these 3G frequencies: 850/900/1900/2100mhz (3G WCDMA). Are those OK for FP data?

They should be - AT&T have UMTS coverage on the 850 & 1900 bands, so until such a time that they eventually start decommissioning their 3G, the tracker ought to see those bands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellular_frequencies_in_the_US

I'd be interested to know how the tracker works out!
    I just ordered the data-only sim. Is it really something different from the voice/text/data sim? The order says it comes with free trial of unlimited talk, text, and 2gb of data.

I'll definitely report back on whether it works. I'm into model rocketry and stick these little trackers inside the rockets to find them if we can't see where they land. The 2G trackers run fine on T-Mobile but not on any AT&T-based network. I've also placed the tiny Posh Micro S240 phone with an FP sim into rockets and it works perfectly as a tracker, just go to android.com/find. I've also successfully used FP sims with regular-sized phones (Nexus 4 and Droid Mini) in larger rockets. But a tracker would be better because it is smaller and lighter.
    After further review, I don't think FP sim will work with the LK109-3G. I downloaded the manual from the link provided by limey, and it says it is necessary to set parameters via SMS:
    "Set admin number,APN , IP and open GPRS
    Eg: Step1.admin123456+space+your phone number
    Step2.apn123456+ space+local apn content
    Step3 .adminip123456+space+101.1.16.228+space+7700
    Step4. gprs123456"

Since FP does not use true SMS, it seems it will be impossible to set these parameters. Unless someone knows of a workaround?

After further review, I don't think FP sim will work with the LK109-3G. I downloaded the manual from the link provided by limey, and it says it is necessary to set parameters via SMS:
    "Set admin number,APN , IP and open GPRS
    Eg: Step1.admin123456+space+your phone number
    Step2.apn123456+ space+local apn content
    Step3 .adminip123456+space+101.1.16.228+space+7700
    Step4. gprs123456"

Since FP does not use true SMS, it seems it will be impossible to set these parameters. Unless someone knows of a workaround?

I was afraid of that - I suppose you could try setup with a SIM from a non-VOIP operator & then swap the SIM for the FP one - that may or may not work, but it looks like it also uses SMS to handle regular usage commands like to get a Google Maps link, in which case you're still dead in the water. It all depends on what, if anything, is done by direct communication with that server IP address.

That would probably work, because after setup this tracker can track via SMS (which would not work with FP) or with an Android or iPhone app (which uses data, not SMS).

My 2G trackers did not require this kind of setup, just pop in a SIM and then log on to the app. Always wondered how the tracker got the correct APN.
    Yes, that might work. My 2G trackers that I'm using with T-Mobile did not require any SMS commands or any type of setup at all. Just pop in a SIM and log in to the app on an Android or iPhone. Always wondered how they worked without knowing the APN of the SIM. The LK109 works with an app or with SMS commands, at least once it is set up. FP probably does work with the app once the tracker is set up via SMS, and the tracker set up probably can be done with a non-VOIP SIM, with the FP SIM substituted after set up is completed. Not sure I want to risk it, however.
  • Chris ColemanChris Coleman Posts: 55FreedomPop Newbie
    @William Dzurilla
    You should only buy this LK-GPS tracker from an Amazon seller who offers returns within 30 days or something like that, enough time so you can test it and make sure it's working thru the app only. Sounds like you'll have to first configure the LK109 by inserting a standard SIM which supports native SMS, and send it the SMS commands to configure the APN, IP, and open GPRS or 3G data setting. If the LK109 doesn't work on the FP data only SIM, just return the LK109, and get a full refund.