**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Why is it that only Sprint phones are acceptable? Will this change?

netxnetx Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
Hello:

I'm wondering why only Sprint phones will work with this service?
Will this be expanded to other networks?

Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• Warren RoseWarren Rose Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Because it uses Sprint's data network exclusively.
  • jolie_716jolie_716 Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Hi there,

I have a similar question, just more "global":
    I just moved to the US and would like to keep my number from Germany so I need a dual SIM device. Back home, I could just buy any unlocked phone from ebay and insert any SIM card from any provider. Looking into FreedomPop's offer, I understand that carriers in the US block their devices so they won't work in the competitors' networks.
    What I haven't been able to understand from this forum is if I buy an unlocked dual SIM phone from ebay (like Cubot or Maxwest), would it be possible to activate that for FreedomPop?

Thank you!
    No. It has to be a Sprint device that is tied to an account that has completed it's contractual obligation and has not been reported as lost or stolen (aka clean ESN). You also have to specifically purchase a device that is listed as approved by Freedompop (they have them listed in a posted thread on here).
  • jolie_716jolie_716 Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks, Warren! Too bad I won't be able to use Freedompop's services then :( Hope I'll be luckier with other carriers, so I can use a simple dual SIM phone and don't have to carry two phones just to keep my old number active.
    To my knowledge for a small fee you could transfer your number. To me the savings is well worth the cost or hassle of a Freedompop compatible device. I went the risky route (bought a Galaxy S3 off of craigslist for $100) but it was worth it since I would be paying $100 a year to a T-Mobile account for 1000 minutes of airtime and nothing else. Although the device is important it's not nearly as important to me as the monthly service fee since that is where the real cost lies. Nothing like spending over $1K on a two year contract just to get a supposedly "free" device.
This discussion has been closed.