**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Use Google Voice Voicemail with Free Plan?

Daniel DolanDaniel Dolan Posts: 19FreedomPop Newbie, FP Flyer
Google Voice has a feature by which one can use Google Voice's voicemail for one's mobile number. For each service provider, there is a series of codes to enter to enable this feature, however the AT&T codes nor the Sprint codes seem to work for FreedomPop numbers, which ostensibly operate on one of those two carriers (my phone indicates I am on AT&T's network).

This would be a nifty little work-around for folks who are unable to answer EVERY phone call, yet want to remain on a cost-free plan... Just sayin'. Is there such a work-around?

Best Answers

• Jeffrey BurgerJeffrey Burger Posts: 271FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    #3 Accepted Answer

Yeah, I'll have to test out forwarding my google voice number to my FP number to see if it'll pick up GV voicemail, or just terminate the call if I don't pick up.

That is my set up and calls to GV number do go to their voice mail. 1What I do is give google voice number to businesses and my actual FP number to my personal contacts.

I mostly don't want voice mails, but I figure if car mechanic, dentist, bank, etc is calling, they'd want and expect to be able to leave a message and so they can with GV. For other calls, if I don't answer, I'd rather someone text me, call back, or assume I will see the missed call and call them.

I have Freedompop voice mail disabled, but I suppose another option would be to leave it enabled and then just call back and say "I didn't listen to your message, but saw you called...".

Answers

• Daniel DolanDaniel Dolan Posts: 19FreedomPop Newbie, FP Flyer
    That's a big drag, man. I can't see how they would want that to be disallowed... Aside from the smattering of folks who decide to shell out the $3 a month for the courtesy of voicemail.

I guess they've gotta have a "gotcha" in the free plan... All things considered, though, if all one need sacrifice for free wireless phone service is voicemail, that's not SO bad.

And there's always Google Hangouts Dialer ;)
  • kerstuffkerstuff Posts: 664FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Exactly! I use GV with Hangouts dialer myself.
  • Benjamin BlancoBenjamin Blanco Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
    edited November 2017 #6
    Same as kerstuff. It's voip either way, just gvoice counts against your data instead of your minutes. You could give people your gvoice number and have it ring your fpop number (that way it'd use your minutes instead of data, too), if you don't mind people knowing your voice number. Not sure if it'd go to your gvoice voicemail first in that case, but if it just keeps ringing it should.
    Post edited by Benjamin Blanco on
    Yeah, I'll have to test out forwarding my google voice number to my FP number to see if it'll pick up GV voicemail, or just terminate the call if I don't pick up. That way outgoing calls would count against data, and incoming calls would soak up the minutes.

What's the monetary incentive (besides the charge for voicemail) for FP to disallow call forwarding?

That is my set up and calls to GV number do go to their voice mail. 1What I do is give google voice number to businesses and my actual FP number to my personal contacts.

That's cool... Sorta like having a dual-SIM phone for personal and business numbers... Nice idea, Jeff!