**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Gamma S9 Unlocked Candybar Phone Set-up??

velogeekvelogeek Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
I've purchased a candybar style Chinese made Gamma S9 phone. I'm trying to set-up a simple fool-proof phone for a friend who is not mobile phone savvy. The Gamma S9 does not appear to be compatible with the FreedomPop LTE sim card I purchased. Does anyone know if it's possible to make it work??

If not, does anyone know of a candybar or flip-style phone that is FreedomPop LTE sim compatible?

TIA for any suggestions or help!

Comments

• limeylimey Posts: 674FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017 #2
    @velogeek - FP's service is VOIP, so normally requires a smartphone (either Android, or Apple IOS) in order to run FP's Messager app which handles the VOIP service, using cellular data rather than cellular voice. The Gamma S9 appears to use it's own OS, which would rule it out from use with FP.

Another requirement that needs to be considered, is that the phone needs to support the frequency bands that the FP LTE SIM can connect to. FP uses AT&T's network with the LTE SIM - this means the phone needs to support the AT&T 3G & LTE data bands in use where you plan to use it. This also rules out the S9, since it appears to only support 2G data, which AT&T no longer provide.

Flip/Candy bar form factor smartphones are very rare & if you can find one, may be expensive/incompatible with the frequency bands the FP LTE SIM can be used with.

If your friend would prefer a real keyboard, then the Motorola 4G LTE Photon Q may meet their needs, as it has a slide out physical keyboard. FP sell these in their store for as low as $30, but it is essentially, a CDMA/LTE phone - you can get FP's service with it, but you wouldn't use your current 4G LTE SIM with it - it comes with it's own Sprint SIM.

Post edited by limey on