**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Does voice calling on Freedom Phone work well for others?

Robert MedwidRobert Medwid FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 1
I am finding that half the time I can not dial or else the voice
quality is poor. I'm posting this to get feedback from other
freedom phone users as to whether their phone service
works consistently for dialing and for voice quality. SMS
works fine, internet is usually ok. Maybe there's a way
to use Google voice over the phone's Internet service
that would make the calling more consistent?

Comments

• 64user64user FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 128
    I find that if I'm on a WiFi network, the audio is almost always very high quality, but there is a long delay between when I talk and when the other party hears me, which confuses a lot of people. I find myself talking before they finish talking to compensate.

If I'm on a 3G network, I have to have good signal strength, and the results are the same. If the signal strength is low, quality suffers greatly, and sometimes calls don't go through.

I haven't made any phone calls on a 4G network to know what that's like.

I would guess that Google voice-over-phone could only be the same or worse than the existing service.

There are settings you can tweak so that your phone might work better with low signal strength, or on slow networks. I'm not sure how to set them though.
  • scottscott FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert Posts: 158
    @Robert Medwid‌ I had the cannot dial issue when i was using a 3g phone. Once i upgraded to 4glte I do not have that issue anymore.

However, there is always a delay between me and the person i am talking to. I keep that in mind and always wait a second or two during conversation breaks. If you do not you and the person you are talking to will always be talking over each other.

You can go into the settings and try to change the codec used for voice and that may help you if you are willing to trail and error different settings. However, it seams as though they have gotten better with the default settings each time the app is updated.
  • Sprinter GS3Sprinter GS3 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 6
    Or you could adopt the convention of saying "over" at the end sentence, like:

them: Hi, where are you?
    you: At home do want to come over? "over"
    them: over over?
    you: No, just over! "over"
    them: that's what I said over over!
    you: NOT over over just over! "over"
    them: goodby
    you: you forgot to say "over!"
  • @Robert Medwid@scott‌ Have you guys tried performing a PRL update? This will boost your phone's connection, which could make your calls better. Here's how to do this:
    1. Select the menu button
    2. Tap settings, then scroll down to system updates
    3. Select update profile and let it run fully (may take up to 90 seconds)
    4. After the network profile is updated, repeat the same steps, but this time select update PRL instead of update profile
  • 64user64user FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 128

Or you could adopt the convention of saying "over" at the end sentence

I already do that once in a while. Sometimes I even say "73" instead of "good bye". It can be embarrassing!

• James LummelJames Lummel FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 63
    I had problems at first with my HTC EVO Design 4G as the WiMAX here is so spotty that I had to use 3G. I had done the PRL and profile updates several times here in Kingman.

Then I was in Las Vegas earlier this year and it was still pretty crappy, so I tried updating the PRL and profile while in Vegas.

After the updates finished it started working and pretty well too, even though I was still on 3G.

Later that evening I had a 40 minute call with no problems at all! The person at the other end thought I had finally dumped FreedomPop and gotten a "real" phone service and was surprised that this was the same phone!

After doing that, the phone works great on 3G service in every place I've tried it (Phoenix, Las Vegas, Kingman, Pasadena, Barstow, Los Angeles, along both I-17 and I-40, etc).

It's like in some areas the PRL and profile updates are NOT working properly, but that Vegas update really unlocked this phone's potential.

James
    On today's episode of "History in a Nutshell":

"Global warming", or "climate change" as it's now called, was created when two politicians were sitting around one day having a brandy and brainstorming on how they could put together their next government funded project that would be a sure-fire way to win the next election at the taxpayer's expense when one of them said to other "Hey, wouldn't it be GREAT if we could figure out how to tax the very air they breath??" ('they', of course, being you and me). Well the other politician happen to be Al Gore and the rest is a matter of history....
  • James LummelJames Lummel FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 63
    BTW - I also found that I needed to turn off the automatic updates to the Messaging app and then manually perform the update when I get the notification there's a new one.

You want to do this AFTER deleting the Messaging app, then installing it manually via WiFi, THEN turn off automatic updates for the app and then restart the phone. This fixes the problems auto update seems to cause and seems to continue to work forwards IF you do manual updates from then on.

Your mileage may vary, but this has worked wonders for me.

James
    On today's episode of "History in a Nutshell":

"Global warming", or "climate change" as it's now called, was created when two politicians were sitting around one day having a brandy and brainstorming on how they could put together their next government funded project that would be a sure-fire way to win the next election at the taxpayer's expense when one of them said to other "Hey, wouldn't it be GREAT if we could figure out how to tax the very air they breath??" ('they', of course, being you and me). Well the other politician happen to be Al Gore and the rest is a matter of history....
  • Peter DorskiPeter Dorski FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 0
    How do you update the PRL on the Samsung Galaxy S4? When I go to settings>more>about device, the only selectable options are Status, Legal Information, and Device Name.

When I select status I do see the PRL version 45019, but there are no selectable options in that section (they are all grayed out).

I am having the same problems as a few other users: my incoming is fine (I can hear them great), but the other end of the call states that my voice cuts outs a lot. I tried a few of the fixes mentioned (like fiddling with the options), however, none have worked all that well. This happens on 3g, 4gLTE, and wifi
  • hankjrodhankjrod FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert Posts: 368 ✭✭✭
    @Peter Dorski Go to the one above that. Settings > More > System Update Let us know if that fixes it
  • John HeschJohn Hesch FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 1
    @K_Ber - I'm having this same issue (but with an iPhone 5)... Is there a similar feature on the iPhone that will let me do a PRL update?
  • EdwinFreedomPopEdwinFreedomPop FreedomPop Newbie, US Support Posts: 60 admin
    @John Hesch‌ On the iPhone, the equivalent is the profile update. You do that by opening the native Phone app, dialing # # 783283 #, pressing OK at the prompts.