Cannot activate/use phone

DD Posts: 30FreedomPop Newbie
I have an LG Optimus F3. It used to have a number but lost it so I got a new number assigned. On my account web site, everything looks good. But I can't get cell service. I have tried #2 as well as ##72786# or ##SCRTN#, the call could not complete. I tried updating PRL but no luck there. Calling/texting using phone app is fine. Any ideas??

Thanks.

Answers

• Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,344FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    @D, Does the phone app work when away from the WiFi also ? Does a browser able to search the internet ?
    If yes to both, then your phone is working both with WiFI and with Mobile data.

The PRL & Profile updates should work when both Mobile data is working and WiFi active. On LG phone should see either 3G or 4G with double arrows under it when data moving from or to the phone. That is your Mobile data in action. If all is working, may not need those dial codes you listed. But I still would like to leave you with them working, In case you need them later.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • DD Posts: 30FreedomPop Newbie
    Hi Rich. The phone app does not work when wifi is disabled. There is no 3G or 4G indicator. It suggests there is no cellular signal. That is not the case as there is a signal for another phone that works fine. I think the phone is not able to register with the carrier. But I checked the SIM and it said the SIM was registered.
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,344FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello @D,
    Here is my detailed setup for SIM and unlocked GSM phone or tablet. Perhaps a step got missed. This may help get Mobile Data up and working for you. If this doesn't work then I have one more troubleshooting steps to go for, after that is for FreedomPop to check the account background logging to be sure all parts are working right. Don't miss the step to test mobile data, important.

You did not mention what phone the SIM is inserted into. Can I assume it is GSM capable? GSM phones generally connect to either AT&T or T-Mobile networks. It cannot be a CDMA or Sprint based phone. Most FreedomPop branded phones are locked to Sprint and will not work..

The error message you are getting sounds like you are using the phone's native dialer. You need to use the FreedomPop Messaging App or Free Voice and Text App depending on your phone type (Android or iPhone). Here are more complete instructions to set up that come with the SIM card.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    GSM SIM setup consists of these steps:
    You must have an unlocked GSM device using Android 4+ or iOS 8.2+ Operating System. Must accept Std, Micro, or Nano SIM size. Older Android versions can be used (2.3+) but will require a special download for the FreedomPop App. ( notes for iPhones at bottom ) [I have expanded notes for steps 3-5 if desired]

1. Put in the GSM SIM,
    2. Make sure you are on GSM network mode / type
    3. Set up the APN:
    If you don't know where the APN settings are, please check here for that information: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-10693
    All iPhones can set their APN at: http://www.freedompop.com/iosapn
    • Global SIM: (whatever name you want, like FreedomPop and APN - freedompop.foggmobile.com, no other settings required).
    • Domestic 4G LTE SIM: (any name USonly, FreedomPop, etc. and APN - fp.com.attz, no other settings required)
    The "Menu" key is 3 horiz lines and next to home key below screen. To start edit, click the big [+], or Menu key then "edit". When done in APN edit Touch the menu Key for list, choose save.
    4. (Android). Check the FreedomPop APN is selected
    4. (iPhone) Select Enable 4G, and select Data Only
    5. Turn on data roaming and mobile data
    6. (Android). Search for carriers and select your FreedomPop carrier (ignore Sprint and Verizon). You should see two others. They are AT&T and T-mobile. On Android devices, you can use the SignalCheck Lite to know which is which.

Next, please download and install the FreedomPop App:
    Android App https://goo.gl/RFiDz6
    iPhone App https://goo.gl/LvsHGX

Turn OFF WiFi and turn ON mobile data. Internet should be working at this point. Can prove it by Googling in browser. Get any search results, you have internet via mobile data !
    Reboot your phone if still unable to connect to data. Retest above.
    Working ?... Now turn OFF mobile data and ON for WiFi to save valuable mobile data for another day.

7. Launch the App and use your FreedomPop email and password to login. The first time, you may be asked to pick a phone number. Once that is done, make a test call. Now you are done. The App should integrate with the native dialer (on Android only) after you make a few calls and restart the phone, so that you will be able to use the phone's Contact App and native dialer to make calls. You always have to use the FreedomPop App for texting. For iPhone, you always need to use the FreedomPop App for calls and texts.

I hope this gets things set up for you. If not, let me know what is going on in as much detail as possible and I will see what can be done. Please let me know the make, model, and Operating System of the phone you're using. Thanks.

Notes:
    Question:
    • The SIM is in and the APN is set. Roaming is enabled. No service.
    Ans:. . . For Android 4.4--------------
    • Settings-> more networks->Mobile networks -> mobile data - enabled
    • Settings-> more networks->Mobile networks -> Network Mode - GSM
    • Settings-> more networks->Mobile networks -> Access point names - (whatever name you set) - selected
    • Settings-> more networks->Mobile networks -> System select - try both until you see the carriers listed.

You must be in an area with good GSM signal from AT&T or T-Mobile

Please advise what Android version if these do not help. I only use 4.4.
    +++++++++ Notes for iPhones +++++++++++++++
    The below settings for Apple iPhones
    Enable data roaming -
    Go to phone Settings -> Cellular -> Cellular Data Options -> Turn Data Roaming On

Change APN -
    After turning On, you will see a option Cellular Data Network. Select it and change the Cellular Data APN settings into fp.com.attz

Some of the not so new iPhones 4 & 4s do not allow changing APN from settings. There was no options in settings to modify APN It wont display APN either. To add an APN go here and they can do it for you. Choose Freedompop(fp.com.attz).
    http://www.unlockit.co.nz
    Go to the site through Safari, click on the 'Create APN' button, and install the side-loaded file. There are two FreedomPop options to pick. Choose the one that has '(fp.com.attz)' on the end. The unlockit site will do the correct APN for you, then you may continue with instructions.
    Better, yet, FreedomPop does APNs for all iPhones: http://www.freedompop.com/iosapn
    = = = = = = = = = = Manual method = = = = = = = = =
    On iPhones 5 and up, follow these steps:
    • Open Settings
    • > Cellular (Make Sure Data Roaming is also on)
    • > Cellular Data Options
    • > Cellular Data Network
    then enter this information:
    type fp.com.attz for the APN setting

For a visual guide, please visit this link: https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2670/~/activating-your-phone-gsm-sim-card
    (iPhone instructions are towards the bottom).

Hope this helps !
    Rich
    Ok, I think I have narrowed the problem down. I think the phone's IMEI isn't registered with the carrier. Here are my steps in case my conclusion is wrong:

I have 2 identical phones (LG Optimus F3). One works, the other doesn't. I pulled out the Sprint SIM chips and swapped them. The problem did not change. This means it's not a SIM problem but a phone specific problem. How do I get my IMEI registered? It is: 0x990 002 533 847 36

Thanks!
  • kerstuffkerstuff Posts: 664FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    You can't swap Sprint Sims. They are locked to the phone.
    Hmm, I put 2 different sims in the same phone and both work. The number does stay the same so don't know if that means anything. I put both sims and the other phone (same model) and neither works.
    Hmm, I don't know. I had 2 identical phones with sims. One phone worked, the other didn't. Swapped sims, same phone worked, same phone didn't. The phone that worked, kept the same number. ideas?
    Sprint SIMs do NOT have any account or private data stored on them. Just a 'generic' login designed for one or few models to work off of. Generally only works with one or few designated models. There are 20-40 different Sprint SIMs. The main purpose is to enable the phone to access the LTE bands. All account info is stored inside the phone's settings or similar.
    So identical phone models can swap Sprint SIMs but nothing is gained by it. At best LTE is still accessible and at worst LTE is no longer accessible. It may not have been obvious which it was. Operating the phone without a SIM, all works except no LTE access. This is simplified, but settings could make it worse than described or as good as described.
    ok so we seem to have gotten a little off track here. Can we start over and see about getting me up and running? I know I have gotten some instructions from @Rich Sias (16th) and I appreciate it. I do think it may be off because of the bad background I provided. Let me summarize:

-I have an LG Optimus F3
    - it won't connect to the cellular network.
    - using the app and wifi, I can call fine so I assume the user account is ok (correct if wrong pls).
    - on the phone, I get zero bars and a little red X
    - phone number is 571-200-8580
    - IMEI is 256 691 464 303 688 246
    - sim chip says sprint, 8901120 0000450 415079

About the phone:
    -On power up, it tries to do Hands Free Activation but fails after multiple retries.

Under menus:
    -Android ver 4.1.2-
    -under network: searching for service, mobile type: unknown, network state: disconnected.
    -under phone identity: MIN, PRL versions, ESN, MEID Hex, IMEI, IMSI are all unknown
    -under system updates: Update PRL and Update profile: when run gives "authentication error", update
    -activate device: "sorry- we experienced at system prob during your task, dial *2 from your sprint phone
    -under roaming: home network only

-mobile networks, data enabled checked

Could someone walk me through any troubleshooting steps?

Thanks all
  • Wen D.Wen D. Posts: 90FreedomPop Newbie, FP Flyer ✭✭
    edited January 2018 #11
    @D It is likely that FreedomPop has a wrong IMEI(MEID) number in your account. In this case, you have to buy the VIP service to call the customer service and ask them to check your MEID number. You can also PM one of the admins here or PM @FreedomPop at slickdeals.net and ask him/her to check and correct this number for you. Hope this will help.
    Post edited by Wen D. on
    @D login online here: https://my.freedompop.com with email address as ID and password. Click the 3 lines in a square to open menus or they are across top. Click "Devices" It should show the MEID that FreedomPop is using. Verify if they are the same.
    If different then you need assistance.
  • Wen D.Wen D. Posts: 90FreedomPop Newbie, FP Flyer ✭✭
    @D Hope you have solved this problem by now. It just came to me that my comment above was wrong. I meant to say your ICCID number (the number of your Sprint sim card) in your account was wrong. Since you can use the app to call through wifi, your phone's IMEI(MEID) is correct. But you cannot connect to the cellular network, it's likely that FreedomPop has a wrong ICCID number in your account, therefore your phone cannot be activated.
    @Rich Sias (16th) when I loging and click devices, I don't see the MEID. It says "My Devices" and lists the phone model which is correct. I can then change the name for the phone. The only other options are: Select a new number, transfer number, Add Int'l Number.
    @D while logged in to the online account, click the link below. It lists device IDs for all devices under that email address. Easy match if only one device.
    https://www.freedompop.com/device_list.htm
    @Rich Sias (16th) I know this might sound crazy but that URL doesn't work for me. I get a 404 error.

404 - Sorry, the page does not exist
    Here are some helpful links:

Visit your FreedomPop Account

Contact our Support Team
    Awww, just when it was getting more popular, they go and kill it. I was working when I posted it. Now, it's a dead link. It was only decent way to get the ICCID at all, convenient for the others, too.
    yea... any other ideas? :)
    @D - I use these hints to help other find the phone's MEID / IMEI number (device ID) Maybe you will get lucky and one of these will get you the needed device ID.

Some phones may not have an IMEI, they may instead have a MEID number. Both have the same purpose and function the same way.

Below are a few easy methods for finding your personal IMEI or MEID number:
    Dial *#06#

Works on nearly every phone
    Tap the calling icon (native dialer), it's in the image of a phone
    Dial * then # then the number 0 then the number 6 and finally #
    The MEID or ICCID number will show up on the screen
    If you logged into Support online with the account that you wanted to cancel, Look down and around for "Addition Details" box. Copy this label and number: MAC/Device ID/ICCID 08969482300032xxxx
    Android: Settings>AboutPhone>Status scroll to find MEID
    iOS: Settings>General>About scroll to find MEID
    Open phone, remove battery, find IMEI or DEC HEX (MEID) on label
    on back of iPhones: MEID or IMEI
    Can also be found online in your account. Click below and login Under device name is purchase date and below that say MAC ID, it is really the MEID. That is the number.
    http://www.freedompop.com/acct_device.htm <--- there it is again. It may not be broke for everyone. Someone posted 4 hours ago text copied from that maybe it works for some. Not you or me at present.
    The "Box" the Phone/Device came in, also has the Id, on the sticker.
    If you still have the Packing Slip from inside the delivery parcel. The MAC ID (MEID) number is printed along with the Part Number and Item description.
    If all the above unavailable to access. The phone's phone number will work in a pinch.
    @D apparently they took it down to upgrade it. It is WAY WAY better, now. Take a look at what that display does now.
    http://www.freedompop.com/acct_device.htm
    @Rich Sias (16th) yes, the page is back up! It shows:

LG Optimus F3
    Purchase Date: Aug 13, 2015
    MAC ID: 256691464301660051
    MSL Code: 454319

Based on this, it appears the IMEI number from the phone (mentioned a few posts back) matches what FP says it should be. Progress! Next?
    Hi everyone, I'm still at a loss for why my phone won't work on the cellular network. We have confirmed that FP has the correct IMEI number in the system. Any have an idea of what to do next to figure this out?

Thanks.
    @D, Turn OFF WiFi and ON for Mobile Data.
    Tell me which of these is untrue ?
    • Open browser and search for anything, find links ?
    • Can you click on one and go there ?
    • Open FreedomPop Messaging - all benign and error free ?
    • Click the touch tone pad in upper right, make a call, hear other end ring back ?
    • If they answer, can you understand each other ?

If all the above are true, try making a call from the native dialer.
    If not all true which is the first false one ? Add any error messages seen or other possible useful info.
  • dwh367dwh367 Posts: 8FreedomPop Newbie
    D said:

Hi everyone, I'm still at a loss for why my phone won't work on the cellular network. We have confirmed that FP has the correct IMEI number in the system. Any have an idea of what to do next to figure this out?

Thanks.

In the FreedomPop APN that you created make sure that both "APN protocol" and "APN Roaming Protocol" are both set for IPv4/IPv6. My phone defaulted to IPv6 for those settings, when I created the APN, and it kept my service from activating until I made those changes. I had submitted a support ticket but was able to figure it out on my own. It's a good thing too because I submitted my support ticket on February 3rd and have yet to get a response from them. So much for the 1 to 2 business days that it stated in my confirmation email.
  • camcorderdoctorcamcorderdoctor Posts: 9FreedomPop Newbie, FP Flyer
    On Android:

Turn your phone on, go to Settings and search for “Access Point Names”. Tap the "+" symbol to add a custom APN. On some phones you may see ADD instead of a "+" symbol.

Enter "fp.com.attz" as the APN type. Enter "FreedomPop" for the name. Leave the other fields blank.

Go back to the previous screen and select your new FreedomPop APN. If you are asked for a MCC code, please enter 310 or 311. Restart your phone once you are finished.

Thanks for sticking with me on this @Rich Sias (16th) . answers below.

@D, Turn OFF WiFi and ON for Mobile Data.

Tell me which of these is untrue ?
    • Open browser and search for anything, find links ?
    - no "you are offline"
    • Can you click on one and go there ?
    -no links
    • Open FreedomPop Messaging - all benign and error free ?
    -pop up "network not available!"
    • Click the touch tone pad in upper right, make a call, hear other end ring back ?
    -pop up "network not available!"
    • If they answer, can you understand each other ?

NOTE: I do have a FP message that says "you phone number change request has been completed..." I requested this and when I have WiFi ON and make a call, the new number is what shows up in CallerID. Maybe this is a clue?

If all the above are true, try making a call from the native dialer.
    If not all true which is the first false one ? Add any error messages seen or other possible useful info.