**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Messaging app background data usage

So, this morning I unlocked the phone and was greeted with a message that I've used up the data for this billing cycle. Upon closer look - within a few morning hours the FP Messaging app used 3.5G of mobile data in the background. All while the phone was locked and was not in use. So the questions are:
1. What can I do about it and can I get the data back? (I don't even want to use topup at the moment since the app may just go through that in a few minutes)
2. What is it that you are transferring in the background to/from my phone?

Comments

• KennyPopoolaKennyPopoola FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 2
    I also experienced the same thing. i wonder if it is peculiar to android. I raised a support ticket (attached the screenshots like yours).
    Fingers crossed it comes back positive.
  • wwwmaniacwwwmaniac FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 7
    I did open a support ticket as well. Please share what the outcome of yours would be once you get a response, looks like they aren't particularly quick with responses.
  • nsn_usnsn_us FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 3
    I experienced the exactly same issue starting a couple of days ago. Please fix the issue. Thanks
  • nsn_usnsn_us FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 3
    Any progress on fixing this issue? The background data usage is so high in recent days that I had to completely turn off the background data usage for the messaging app. As a result, I can't receive any phone call when WIFI is not available. Please help!
  • taurusgdtaurusgd FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 9
    edited March 11 #6
    Same thing here. Started around 9am this morning while at the dentist. 900 mb disappeared by 10.30 am all from the messaging app.
    Please give is back our data! I just joined the annual plan a few days ago, maybe related......
    PS I have put in a ticket
    Post edited by taurusgd on
  • taurusgdtaurusgd FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 9
    I have put in a ticket.
  • wwwmaniacwwwmaniac FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 7
    By the way, if you check wifi usage for the app it's also high. What happens is so often (at least for me) it will burst a ton of data (about 8GB each from wifi and mobile, if available) and calm down. I've talked to support a few times, but all they say is that their app "shouldn't do it" and that "it must be another voip app" that I have installed (while I have none). At this point I just gave up and am in a process of switching providers and porting a number.
  • nhatlds17nhatlds17 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 5
    This is a big issue. It's August 2, 2018 and it still hasn't been solved. I'm getting charged for data because of it. People don't know enough technology to see why they were charged for data, and this APP error gets ignored.

• AlejandraGAlejandraG FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 3,727 admin
    nhatlds17 said:

This is a big issue. It's August 2, 2018 and it still hasn't been solved. I'm getting charged for data because of it. People don't know enough technology to see why they were charged for data, and this APP error gets ignored.

Hi! Please be aware that as a VOIP, we provide service through a Voice over IP connection, this means that we use the Internet to connect your calls, communicate texts and allow you access to the Web. Our app will always need data to function but we recommend to check accurate usage in your online profile at my.freedompop.com
    Do you see the data use discrepancy at your online Freedompop profile as well?

Hi! Please be aware that as a VOIP, we provide service through a Voice over IP connection, this means that we use the Internet to connect your calls, communicate texts and allow you access to the Web. Our app will always need data to function but we recommend to check accurate usage in your online profile at my.freedompop.com

This actually has happened to me before, from a different freedompop account, different phone, earlier this year. From this image, it's consistent that the app burst a ton of data. This all happened while the app was in the background. I have disabled background data for now. The only reason for some discrepancy is because my Android phone has recorded all data usage but the 4G LTE speed is slower than what the app would have used.
    nhatlds17 said:

This actually has happened to me before, from a different freedompop account, different phone, earlier this year. From this image, it's consistent that the app burst a ton of data. This all happened while the app was in the background. I have disabled background data for now. The only reason for some discrepancy is because my Android phone has recorded all data usage but the 4G LTE speed is slower than what the app would have used.
    We looked up this usage and confirmed it's not a bug, this data is being used. It's possible that you are running some apps in the background. We recommend to check this article:
    https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3456/kw/gone
    edited August 9 #13

We looked up this usage and confirmed it's not a bug, this data is being used. It's possible that you are running some apps in the background. We recommend to check this article:

I was at work, I put my phone on my work desk, I wasn't using the phone, my phone was on work WIFI.
    All of a sudden, I received an email of auto top-up. That's when I investigate and knew the APP was bursting data even though I was on WIFI. I quickly stopped the APP and turned off data.
    I know it's a bug with Freedompop app, because it doesn't happen to AT&T customers or T-Mobile customers. There can't be any other app that would burst data, because my phone would have recorded it.

Ever since I turned off background data for Freedompop APP, it's no longer bursting in data. I can only conclude it's the problem with the APP. I would open the Freedompop APP to connect my phone to the AT&T towers only, then put the APP in the background to prevent it from bursting data.

Please look at this, it happened to many other people, not just me.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/freedompop/comments/8cjku0/warning_of_data_use_email_but_i_have_been_home_on/

https://www.reddit.com/r/freedompop/comments/7umoys/bs_data_usage/
    edited August 9 #14
    nhatlds17 said:

I was at work, I put my phone on my work desk, I wasn't using the phone, my phone was on work WIFI.
    All of a sudden, I received an email of auto top-up. That's when I investigate and knew the APP was bursting data even though I was on WIFI. I quickly stopped the APP and turned off data.
    I know it's a bug with Freedompop app, because it doesn't happen to AT&T customers or T-Mobile customers. There can't be any other app that would burst data, because my phone would have recorded it.

Ever since I turned off background data for Freedompop APP, it's no longer bursting in data. I can only conclude it's the problem with the APP. I would open the Freedompop APP to connect my phone to the AT&T towers only, then put the APP in the background to prevent it from bursting data.

Please look at this, it happened to many other people, not just me.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/freedompop/comments/8cjku0/warning_of_data_use_email_but_i_have_been_home_on/

https://www.reddit.com/r/freedompop/comments/7umoys/bs_data_usage/
    We understand your concern and the fact your situation may be similar to other people but we need to provide some clarification.

1) We cannot answer, compare or assume about our service, its data use and how other carriers measure their data. If this is an issue AT&T or T-mobile customers do not encounter, it may be related to them using regular cellular connections, unlike Freedompop which is VOIP (for more info on VOIP, you can visit https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3508/kw/voip).
    If you would like to get more details on that, you would need to contact those carriers and ask them about their type of communications and tools they use to measure theirs.
    What we can confirm is that we looked into the detailed time and data amounts on your records and already verified its accuracy. Even though sometimes a bug could cause inaccurate usage reports, this is very rare and we can tell it apart from actual use, but that was not the case with this usage.

2) Our data reports could be delayed up until three hours, the ones listed in your online Freedompop profile. It's very important to keep in mind to use the webpage versus the usage reports on your device because this app cannot tell apart the actual data you use to make calls and texts from the data you use to browse the web.

1) We cannot answer, compare or assume about our service, its data use and how other carriers measure their data. If this is an issue AT&T or T-mobile customers do not encounter, it may be related to them using regular cellular connections, unlike Freedompop which is VOIP (for more info on VOIP, you can visit https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3508/kw/voip).
    If you would like to get more details on that, you would need to contact those carriers and ask them about their type of communications and tools they use to measure theirs.
    What we can confirm is that we looked into the detailed time and data amounts on your records and already verified its accuracy. Even though sometimes a bug could cause inaccurate usage reports, this is very rare and we can tell it apart from actual use, but that was not the case with this usage.

2) Our data reports could be delayed up until three hours, the ones listed in your online Freedompop profile. It's very important to keep in mind to use the webpage versus the usage reports on your device because this app cannot tell apart the actual data you use to make calls and texts from the data you use to browse the web.

Here are some clarifications from me too.
    1. I know full well what VOIP is and I am well aware that the app needs data to work, and when on standby the app needs to ping AT&T tower once in a while. I use Google Voice and OBI200 which is also VOIP. I don't need anymore info regarding VOIP.
    2. I am not asking for a refund. Your service is cheap enough that I would pay a certain amount.
    3. I am trying to help your business by reporting a bug.
    My phone is dual SIM. SIM1 is a 3-in-1 Voice/Data. SIM2 is this data-only SIM card. I was using SIM1 then I decided to switch to SIM2. Yes, the Freedompop app was running in the background when I was on this data-only SIM card.

Why did you change the subject??? I was not talking about inaccurate usage reports but you changed the subject. The bug is that the app was bursting in data, so yes it was actual data usage, I already knew that. But you have not verified which app used the data, which in this case, it was the freedompop app. I have checked the "TALK" usage history on my SIM1 account for August 4. I have never talked on the phone for longer than a minute. I have verified that I was not using the freedompop app at all. The app was in the background, yet it was using 20MB every 5 minutes. That is not normal behavior even for VOIP technology. And once again, there cannot be any other app that could have used the data because my phone keeps track of all data usage from all apps.
    nhatlds17 said:

Here are some clarifications from me too.
    1. I know full well what VOIP is and I am well aware that the app needs data to work, and when on standby the app needs to ping AT&T tower once in a while. I use Google Voice and OBI200 which is also VOIP. I don't need anymore info regarding VOIP.
    2. I am not asking for a refund. Your service is cheap enough that I would pay a certain amount.
    3. I am trying to help your business by reporting a bug.
    My phone is dual SIM. SIM1 is a 3-in-1 Voice/Data. SIM2 is this data-only SIM card. I was using SIM1 then I decided to switch to SIM2. Yes, the Freedompop app was running in the background when I was on this data-only SIM card.

Why did you change the subject??? I was not talking about inaccurate usage reports but you changed the subject. The bug is that the app was bursting in data, so yes it was actual data usage, I already knew that. But you have not verified which app used the data, which in this case, it was the freedompop app. I have checked the "TALK" usage history on my SIM1 account for August 4. I have never talked on the phone for longer than a minute. I have verified that I was not using the freedompop app at all. The app was in the background, yet it was using 20MB every 5 minutes. That is not normal behavior even for VOIP technology. And once again, there cannot be any other app that could have used the data because my phone keeps track of all data usage from all apps.
    We are sorry but it's not a bug. We don't mean to sound repetitive or somehow changing the subject.
    We acknowledge it but what we were attempting to let you know is that the app your phone uses to measure usage, cannot tell apart what data is used for calls and text, and which data is used for data only. Our online Freedompop profile is not able to tell apart which app is using data but it registers the data used. This means that even though you were not using our app, it's possible another app was using our data in the background. We know that because we already checked the date and time for the 20 MB data use logs and they are accurate.

Also, this is the first time we are informed you are using a dual sim device. Can you please confirm you have checked on this article too?

https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3233/kw/dual
  • nhatlds1nhatlds1 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 11
    Please explain to me how this happened... It's not even possible to send 400MB within 1 minute of each other. I was on WIFI. This is a different error, but to show how messed up this is. I was paid for yearly premium, I was charged $15 auto-top THREE times. Now I can't even use data anymore without getting charge.
  • María_MMaría_M FP Flyer Posts: 3,555 admin
    nhatlds1 said:

Please explain to me how this happened... It's not even possible to send 400MB within 1 minute of each other. I was on WIFI. This is a different error, but to show how messed up this is. I was paid for yearly premium, I was charged $15 auto-top THREE times. Now I can't even use data anymore without getting charge.

Hello! Thank you for reaching out. We apologize for the problem experienced with the data usage report today. We have been informed that a problem occurred with it which is why this high data usage is shown. Please be advised that the proper team is already working on a fix and they are already refunding each account of the few that were affected. A notification email will be sent automatically by our system once the proper team processes the refunds.
    Oh. One of the disadvantage of waiting for my post to get approved is I cannot delete what I had just submitted. My online profile shows usage 2.77GB/1.84GB of mobile data. But my phone shows 808 MB of 1.84 GB of data. I think I answered my own question. In this case, I should trust what shows on my phone, and not what's shown on the webpage. My online profile also shows $9.70 of Top-Up credit. Since freedompop refunded me already, I believe it should be $0 Top-Up credit.
  • María_MMaría_M FP Flyer Posts: 3,555 admin
    nhatlds1 said:

Oh. One of the disadvantage of waiting for my post to get approved is I cannot delete what I had just submitted. My online profile shows usage 2.77GB/1.84GB of mobile data. But my phone shows 808 MB of 1.84 GB of data. I think I answered my own question. In this case, I should trust what shows on my phone, and not what's shown on the webpage. My online profile also shows $9.70 of Top-Up credit. Since freedompop refunded me already, I believe it should be $0 Top-Up credit.

Please be advised that the proper team has already worked on your account and granted the exceeded data back as well as issued a refund for all top-up fees, you should be able to see these funds back to your account within 3-7 business days depending on your financial institution. Services should now be reinstated.
  • frenchfryfrenchfry FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 1

I have the same problem as described above. I have gone in the same circles as the decision above with "freedompop app data useage [Incident: 180924-001601]" support. I do not agree as above that this is not a bug. It has to be a bug with the message app. There is no reason for a app to use over 9 gig in a short period of time. I have ask for a refund of 4 top up of $15 and the approximate 3.5 gig of saved up data to be restored.
    frenchfry said:

I have the same problem as described above. I have gone in the same circles as the decision above with "freedompop app data useage [Incident: 180924-001601]" support. I do not agree as above that this is not a bug. It has to be a bug with the message app. There is no reason for a app to use over 9 gig in a short period of time. I have ask for a refund of 4 top up of $15 and the approximate 3.5 gig of saved up data to be restored.

Hi!
    We certainly understand that you find it impossible for our app to have used up that much data.
    Please be aware that Freedompop is a VOIP service in which we use data or over IP communications to give your device it's calling and texting capabilities.
    So any data used for calls, texts or actual data use, will always show altogether in the usage report that you see in your phone as this app is unable to tell the difference between what data was used for what.

Instead, to measure your data use, please use your online profile at my.freedompop.com. The usage monitoring option in our site has different banks for data, calls, and text instead. If you notice on you online data report activity you do not recognize, please contact us back.
    It happens to me repeatedly. Please review my account again. After over a year of using Freedompop, and after many wrongful auto-top-ups, I have made a conclusion that the Freedompop app does not have any bug.
    The bug is from the server! Everybody else reports that it's a bug from the app because of what their phone says. WRONG!!! It's the server! The server has many different bugs, I have seen three different type of data burst with different patterns.
    Type 1: When your Freedompop online profile reports about 350MB to 450MB data usage every minute.
    Type 2: When your Freedompop online profile reports about 20MB data usage every 5 minutes.
    Type 3: When your Freedompop online profile reports about 2MB data usage every 20 seconds. It adds up quick!
    All of these data burst happened even when you are on WIFI, even if you have turned off Freedompop app background data. How is it possible!! Because nothing is wrong with your phone or the Freedompop app. It's from the server! As long as your phone is connected to an AT&T tower with Mobile data enabled, a data burst can occur randomly, whether you are on WIFI or not, whether your Freedompop app background data is turned on or off.

Here's an explanation of how I found out:
    The previous time a data burst happened, I had background data turned off. That should have prevented the Freedompop app from using any data, and it did! According to my phone, the app didn't use any data. However, the data burst still occurred even with background data turned off! Because I had it turned off, my Android phone reported very little data usage from the Freedompop app, BUT my Freedompop online profile showed big data burst. Here's what happened. The server sent a bunch of data to my phone but my Android phone rejected the data. And so, even though I was on WIFI, my Freedompop online profile still showed big huge data usage. There's nothing anyone can do to prevent the server from bursting data, even if you're on WIFI.

This time is different. After the app updated from Google Play, background data permission automatically turned on without me being aware of it. Therefore, my phone reported data burst again!

It's a Type 3 data burst.
    No auto-top-up occurred this time because I quickly turned off my phone the moment I saw "Your data usage is within 200MB". Please add data back to my account. Please forward this post to the developers. I spent a lot of time investigating and writing this.

• YWulfYWulf FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 1
    Same thing here, AGAIN!!! Started around 5am!!! which was reported and shown on online profile at my.freedompop.com, in the morning while I was alseep. So phone was on wifi, but message app used up 4.2G of my 5G monthly data. I put in tickets, which amounted to nothing. I don't know how you explains it with your repeated VOIP execuse, but I just want my data, and I want to know what your message app transmitted, I hope it's not information on my phone without my knowledge.
    The data burst is from the server, not the app. The server tries to communicate with the app, so your phone makes it look like the app used the data, but in fact the data is inbound, not outbound.

YWulf - don't worry, the app didn't transmit any data from your phone.

Looking at my data history, the data burst happened to me on 10/10/2018 and 10/12/2018. Each small burst is 2MB, there are 20 listings on each page, and the small data burst filled up 20 pages. In total, the data burst took out 2 x 20 x 20 = 800MB of my data this month, occurred within only a few hours. I have only 190MB left for 11 days. Because auto-top activates under 200MB and Top-Up credit expires every 30 days, I had to login everyday to make sure to re-activate my Top-Up credit to prevent another auto-Top-Up.. I can't use my data anymore for the next 11 days because I'm afraid another data burst would happen when I have only 190MB left.
  • dimusdimus FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 119
    There is a set of problems with FP Messaging App:
    1. Sometimes it uses huge amount of data without visible reason (Gigabytes of data. It can't be explained by VoiP functionality).
    2. Sometimes even when Wi_fi is on, Messaging App uses cellular data.
    3. Even when Messaging App is in "normal" state, it uses more data that I would expect from VoiP App.

How do I know this? I disabled FP Messaging App and started to use CSipSimple and Acrobits soft phones. Since then, I do not see any data usage issue and my data usage reduced significantly.