Can FP open up their apps for foreighners so they can call FP users for free using Wifi?

PeterHendriksPeterHendriks Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
So I read FreedomPop is coming to Europe. I saw FP apps on the Google Play store in my country, but they are useless since we do not have FP service.

I wonder why FP does not "open" their call and texting apps for non Americans so we can use our local wifi connection to text and call FP users for free. Like other voip apps. You can either use our real local country cellphone number or create a temporary number.

Comments

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,705FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't you just use an American VPN and install the app?
  • PeterHendriksPeterHendriks Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    It seems you have to be on the Sprint network to activate the FP app. Sprint does not exist in my country. FP might buy a virtual network operator license in the future so they can issue sim cards, offer their own call, text and data connections.

Perhaps it might be a good idea if FP uses the same strategy as - say - Viber for example. I suppose in the USA not many people know or use voice / text apps (like Whatsapp, Viber, WeChat, Line etc) since texting and calling is cheap as dirt. We don't have Google Voice in my country.

The idea is to open the FP apps for non FP users in non supported countries so they can get their own FP account. Naturally we have to use our own wifi connection, but that is hardly an issue. When FP owns their own network, we can use FP's call, text and dataplan.
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,705FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get the free talk and text app, not the messaging one. The messaging one is for sprint, the other one is for other devices.
  • PeterHendriksPeterHendriks Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    The FP talk and text app can be installed on my phone, but fatally crashes when starting it. The FP logo briefly shows.

Not really surprising since I am using an European Quadband GSM phone (Wolfgang AT-AT43D2), using sim cards, on a non Sprint network (AldiTalk), using a non-American wifi network (Ziggo).
This discussion has been closed.