A couple questions before I make the leap

narthurnarthur Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
Hi, everyone.

I'm considering setting up FreedomPop on a phone I have that currently isn’t on any carrier. Before I start, though, I have a few questions:

1. Will FreedomPop work with my phone? It’s an unlocked GSM Moto G5 G Plus 5th Gen XT1687.
2. Is there anything else I need to check to make sure it will work?
3. Can I bring over my existing number I have with PagePlus on another phone? How would I do that?
4. If I buy a kit off of eBay, something like this, will that work with porting my number to my Moto?
5. What kind of activation charges are there?

Thanks so much!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 admin
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jeffrey BurgerJeffrey Burger Posts: 319FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    Rather than overpay on Ebay, you can buy a SIM for 1 cent with free shipping directly from FreedomPop. There are links and ads for that deal on these forum pages and elsewhere.

That phone should work. FP uses ATT's LTE network. According to specs I have seen, the Moto G5 G Plus 5th Gen XT1687 includes the LTE bands used by ATT.
  • Robert CoyleRobert Coyle Posts: 56FreedomPop Newbie
    FreedomPop utilizes AT&T for GSM, and Sprint for CDMA. However, I understand they offer a better deal (more minutes, texts or data) on Sprint. Is this because they received a better deal leasing capacity from Sprint?

Also, I understand Sprint has additional bandwidth at 800 MHz (former Nextel) and 2.5 GHz (former Clearwire).
  • kerstuffkerstuff Posts: 664FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    I don't know why but supposedly gsm minutes are more expensive.
  • Jeffrey BurgerJeffrey Burger Posts: 319FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭

FreedomPop utilizes AT&T for GSM, and Sprint for CDMA. However, I understand they offer a better deal (more minutes, texts or data) on Sprint. Is this because they received a better deal leasing capacity from Sprint?

I am not sure, but the paid (monthly) plans are the same price with 1 or 2 GB data and unlimited talk/text. That's a little surprising, since ATT has a much more extensive network than Sprint.

On the free plan you do get more data with Sprint, however network data is throttled to 1 mbps by FP (unless you pay $1.99 for "speed boost"). I checked this with speedtest app, got the 1 mbps on LTE with my FP sprint phone. With my other phone using the LTE SIM, I got around 20 mbps on LTE and about 5 on H+.

This discussion has been closed.