How Freedompop Devices And SIMs Work? (CDMA, GSM, carrier locked)

Michael KautzmanMichael Kautzman Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
edited March 2018 in Getting Started #1
Is the following correct for how to get Freedompop phone service?

BYOD (bring your own device)
1. Your phone must be Sprint carrier locked.
2. You must have a Sprint SIM card.
3. The phone/SIM must be in good standing (paid off, not lost or stolen, etc.)
4. Sprint uses a CDMA network (as of 2018 and earlier)
5. Pay a $19.99 activation fee.

Freedompop SIM
1. Buy a Freedompop SIM.
2. All Freedompop SIMs are GSM.
3. Your phone must support the network/frequency used by Freedompop's GSM service.
4. Your phone must be carrier unlocked and in good standing.
5. If you cannot add to or edit the APN, your phone is carrier locked.
Post edited by Michael Kautzman on
Tagged:

Answers

• Melony HicksMelony Hicks Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    How can I go about getting it unlocked
  • Jeffrey BurgerJeffrey Burger Posts: 319FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018 #3

That all seems accurate to me. You do also have to install and use the correct FreedomPop app. Regarding "Pay a $19.99 activation fee", you may find significantly lower sale prices.

A third way to get service is to buy a phone from FreedomPop, that is what I started with (actually the deal was described as free phone and pay $29.99 activation).

How can I go about getting it unlocked

I think you have to contact the carrier that it is locked to.
  • Michael KautzmanMichael Kautzman Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie

That all seems accurate to me. You do also have to install and use the correct FreedomPop app. Regarding "Pay a $19.99 activation fee", you may find significantly lower sale prices.

A third way to get service is to buy a phone from FreedomPop, that is what I started with (actually the deal was described as free phone and pay $29.99 activation).
    Thanks for your reply. I know I left out some details. I was hoping to get an absolute answer from an admin etc., so I know exactly what I need to do with a phone I bought. After that I was hoping to turn this into a guide to eliminate confusion. I have considered understanding how Freedompop works to be maddeningly difficult.

• Jeffrey BurgerJeffrey Burger Posts: 319FreedomPop Newbie ✭✭✭

I was hoping to get an absolute answer from an admin...

That's what I assumed you were hoping for. I figured I'd make my comments and at least bump it up on the list of recent discussions, when I noticed it had not happened. BTW, there is at least one very good "guide to FreedomPop service" to be found on the Internets :) .

Also, perhaps a useful detail with regard to your item 3 for SIM service is that it's best if the phone supports at least LTE band 12 or 17 as 12/17 is the main one used by ATT (the network that FreedomPop uses for their SIM service).
  • CarlosGCarlosG Posts: 2,272 admin

Thanks for your reply. I know I left out some details. I was hoping to get an absolute answer from an admin etc., so I know exactly what I need to do with a phone I bought. After that I was hoping to turn this into a guide to eliminate confusion. I have considered understanding how Freedompop works to be maddeningly difficult.

Hello Michael,

Our team is more than willing to help you resolve this issue as quickly as possible. We will be opening a private message regarding this matter as we need to gather and provide personal account information.
This discussion has been closed.