**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

SIM phone unlock question - for iphones on Freedompop

popdadpopdad FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 7
Unlocked iphones (6S and higher) are worth about $100 more than a SIM locked versions because they work on virtually any carrier's network. For this reason, some customers want their phones to be unlocked from the Sprint Network before selling or replacing their phone.

Question:

If someone brings a used BYOD Sprint-locked iPhone to Freedompop, can/will Freedompop customer service unlock the phone at the request of the owner, once it has been registered (on Sprint Network) for a year? The reason I'm asking is because Sprint Customer Service will NOT unlock Sprint phones for Freedompop MVNO customers that are using the Sprint Network. Sprint will only unlock phones for those who have a Sprint (non-MVNO) account, which this community does not have.

Does the same thing apply to phones bought from Freedompop?

Here is what the FCC's Prepaid Unlocking Policy states:

Carriers, upon request, will unlock mobile wireless devices no later than one year after initial activation, consistent with reasonable time, payment, or usage requirements.

Thanks for any insight.

Comments

• AlejandraGAlejandraG FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 2,230 admin
    popdad said:

Unlocked iphones (6S and higher) are worth about $100 more than a SIM locked versions because they work on virtually any carrier's network. For this reason, some customers want their phones to be unlocked from the Sprint Network before selling or replacing their phone.

Question:

If someone brings a used BYOD Sprint-locked iPhone to Freedompop, can/will Freedompop customer service unlock the phone at the request of the owner, once it has been registered (on Sprint Network) for a year? The reason I'm asking is that Sprint Customer Service will NOT unlock Sprint phones for Freedompop MVNO customers that are using the Sprint Network. Sprint will only unlock phones for those who have a Sprint (non-MVNO) account, which this community does not have.

Does the same thing apply to phones bought from Freedompop?

Here is what the FCC's Prepaid Unlocking Policy states:

Carriers, upon request, will unlock mobile wireless devices no later than one year after initial activation, consistent with reasonable time, payment, or usage requirements.

Thanks for any insight.

Hi! In general terms, we are afraid that we need to comply with Sprint when unlocking a device for GSM use from a CDMA version.
    As a VOIP service that uses Sprint's towers for mobile devices, we also depend on them to be able to authorize any device being released from their site.
    What Freedompop is allowed to do, with Sprint BYOD devices or Sprint devices bought with us, after six months, is to release them back to the Sprint network, so they can be reactivated with any other VOIP service like us that uses Sprint or Sprint directly but we do not offer the availability to unlock them for GSM use, we sincerely apologize.
    Whether or not the unlock is available, will depend totally on Sprint.
  • batmanandjokerbatmanandjoker FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 1
    This must be some basic stuff but I'm unable to figure it out.
    I've restarted my iPhone, inserted my security code and then when the numpad appeared to insert my SIM pin code, I pressed the home button and now I can't trigger that numpad again to insert my pin code.
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @batmanandjoker , See link for how to test for iPhone being locked or not.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
This discussion has been closed.