**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

FP Galaxy S3 comes rooted?

MiFi 4082MiFi 4082 Posts: 32FreedomPop Newbie
@MIGUEL LOPEZ Have you got your phone yet? (anyone?)

From running 'Root Checker' it appears that my FP Galaxy S3 came(was) rooted.

1. If so, should there be a 'SuperUser' App as well? For security reasons? If not installed, should I install one?

2. Or was it rooted to install the Custom ROM and than root access was disabled?

3. I would like to install 'Titanium Backup' before I try a factory reset. Can I do this?

4. I just need to back-up my downloaded apps/data, not any contacts, music, photos, texts, logs, etc... could I do this by just moving them to an SD Card and remove it before the reset?
Thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• @Sprinter MiFi4082‌ We do not recommend that you root your phone, as it will void your warranty. If your phone has problems after doing this, we will not be able to offer you any assistance.
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    @K_Ber his phone came pre-rooted while FP was flashing their ROM on it.
  • M.A. II LopezM.A. II Lopez Posts: 1,163FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    Okay, SO I am confused here. I just got my phone and checked for root with root checker app. It says its rooted. @Taylor‌ is the SIII rooted or not?
  • MiFi 4082MiFi 4082 Posts: 32FreedomPop Newbie
    @MIGUEL LOPEZ I assume it is semantics, that is, when a End User gains root access it is considered rooted, when the Service Provider installs a Custom ROM it not. Although Root access is required to do this, it can (could have) be removed without a trace. But now with the KNOX warranty switch trip, it leaves a trace. So from Samsung/Sprints point of view your warranty is Void (but this, due the age of phone, has most likely already expired). Freedompop, it appears, extends the warranty on their Refurbished phones for a while.

So not a big deal . . .and no, the phone no-longer has Root access, so it is not rooted.
  • M.A. II LopezM.A. II Lopez Posts: 1,163FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    @Sprinter MiFi4082‌ hmm thats a game changer then. I'm going to have to do some thinking then. Will keep you appraised.
    I stand corrected, it is rooted, just ran the test at the end of this article, and got a "#"

http://www.mobile-spy.com/blog/is-my-phone-rooted/
    @K_Ber‌ we are talking hypotheticals here my dear Admin... L-) Okay folks we may need to talk in code from now on...anyone know pidginenglish!...lol
  • Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3 Posts: 108FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan ✭✭✭
    so it is... most people who want root will more than likely get it. and the ones who dont know what it is or care to find out wont. even still, i'm wondering how long and/or extensive is FP's warranty on these refurbished phones. most interested in the S3 warranty, if any..
    XDA, Captain Picard, and NYC ==> All kick a$$!
    The more I read the less sure I am of anything. Ignore what I have said above, there is a good chance it is not correct. This I am sure of.