**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

*******Attention iPhone 5 users (Updated 12/26/2015) ***********

Ali Ali FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2015 in Apple iPhone (Phone) #1
Attention all iPhone 5 users:

Some recent iPhone 5 users who have purchased their phones from FreedomPop have been having issues with a SIM lock issue, accessing cellular data, or with their handset not working without WiFi. If you fall in this category, please do the following:

1. Do a network reset - Please open Settings, go to General, then scroll down to Reset, and hit Reset Network Settings.

2. Dial ##873283# in the native dialer to do a PRL and Profile update.

3. If all else fails, you will need a new SIM card. Please call (888) 915-2647 and press 3 for technical support. Make sure to ask for a replacement SIM for the iPhone 5. Additionally check to make sure your ICCID is the correct one associated with your account, you can find this under Settings > General > About > ICCID. Ask the rep to make sure the ICCID's are the same as the one on file BEFORE asking for a new SIM!

These steps will correct your iPhone and will enable data usage again. Please note these steps apply to iPhone 5's that are bought from FreedomPop.
Post edited by Ali on

Comments

• fpphonehmfpphonehm FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 0
    One thing that I found problematic with trying to set up my iphone 5 yesterday was that I tried entering the IMEI from the back of the phone (and there was a picture on your website telling me where to find it on my iphone 5). The IMEI came up as invalid. However I was reading something else that told me I should be entering the MEID (NOT the IMEI) as well as the ICCID (and I should get those number from Settings->General->About). I tied entering both numbers with a space between them, which did not work either. I then just entered the MEID which then prompted me to enter the ICCID separately and that got me further.

So at least for me, entering the IMEI for my iphone 5 is useless. And in my case the MEID is simply the IMEI with the last digit left off. So perhaps your helpful picture of where to get the number off the back of the iphone, might need to say, find you IMEI number on the back of the phone and enter all of the numbers with the EXCEPTION of the last digit?

Also many others have issues with SIM card ending with 406C.

Copied from another note:
    SIMGLW406R seems to be the only SIM that will work with iPhone 5 and FP

I wish I would have seen this yesterday. I went to the Apple store and just asked for a Sprint SIM and guess what I got? A 406C. Actually at first I thought the phone was working because I was able to make a call, but I guess it made the call over WIFI. When I tried to make a call out of range from my WIFI router, it did not work. I guess I will be going back to the Apple store when I get a chance to ask for a 406R Sprint SIM card.

Well I went back to the Apple Store and asked for a 406R. The guy brought out all of their Sprint SIM cards to show me. They were all 406C. I then went to the Sprint corporate store in the same mall and asked if the guy knew what a 406R SIM card was. He said, sure I do, that is the SIM card for a iphone 5. We don't stock those, try calling the main corporate number, they should be able to get you one. I tried calling Apple support, they could not help me. I tried calling sprint's main number, they could not help me either. Hmm, maybe FreedomPop should consider selling the iphone 5 sprint SIM cards? It will make it easier to get customers up and running.
  • Ali Ali FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @fpphonehm‌ Maybe you should create a Sprint account and request a sim in worldwide support.
    I just got a 406R from your competitor's website. I did not feel like driving to the Apple store or the Sprint store again. It was $9 and I paid $9 for shipping. I need to charge the phone now so I can look for the ICCID in settings. I will send you a PM when the phone is charged so I can try to activate it again.
    edited August 2014 #9
    The SIM itself has the ICCID on it, the numbers on it are the ICCID. Additionally the ICCID is below the top most barcode on the card it came part of.
  • Ahmed_KatshaAhmed_Katsha FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 0
    @fpphonehm‌ Can you please say from which website you got the sim card?
    @Ahmed_Katsha‌ I got mine from Sprint Worldwide Support. eBay is also a good option. Make sure to get the SIMGLW206R. Can't Stress this enough.
    I was able to call into FreedomPop technical support this morning to get the iPhone activated.
  • stirfry2112stirfry2112 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 50
    Sprint Worldwide Support requires an open Sprint account. I was hung up on when contacting them.

@fpphonehm, please let us know where you bought your card as the Apple Store near me no longer has the correct SIM.
    edited August 2014 #15
    @fpphonehm Looks like they changed how they do things on their worldwide support website. If you want me to, just PM me and I am able to order a SIM from there and sent out to you but I already see you got your phone activated. Sorry for the troubles.

@stirfry2112‌ I used Sprint Worldwide Chat and told them that I needed a SIM to activate a new line, and it worked. Before doing this, I tried hitting up Sprint over Twitter and they said that Sprint corp stores and Apple stores have SIMs in stock (I am to lazy to go there lol). Good luck getting your phone activated. Ting.com should have the correct SIM in stock but it costs $18 total.
    @fpphonehm - Thank you so much! I bought the correct card from ting.com for $9 + $4 fedex shipping and about $1 tax. Not a bad deal for a guaranteed correct, good card.

@Ali‌ - How is eBay a good option? Couldn't someone be buying a SIM card that is associated with a fraudulent account and not work? Sounds like a headache to me. And again, Sprint Worldwide support does not work without an open sprint account, which would require buying a contract from them. The same goes for any of their full service Sprint stores. These are not proper solutions in my opinion.

I hope freedomPop does something about this situation soon as supplies for these cards are running out.
    @Ali - yeah, it is a weird situation. I told the Sprint Worldwide Chat the same thing, "I'm looking to open a new account" and they told me to call the 1800 number and hung up on me. And of course they will say both stores have them in stock. Getting one however is like pulling teeth! I had to talk to 3 different apple store reps before they even offered me a Sprint SIM, and then they gave me the wrong one. It is bizarre to me. Why do they act like these cards are so precious or hard to come by? Maybe it is a regional thing, but here in Southern California, it is a pain!

BTW, I called my local Best Buy and they are no longer stocking the 406R model. They use to sell them for $25.
    @stirfry2112‌ Well eBay would be good if the cards are new in the attached card and unused. If it isn't in the card, then don't get it.

I never knew that retail stores wouldn't carry any SIM cards, most of the people who work there are just salesmen I guess and they don't have much background with phones...

Looks like other MVNOs that sell SIMs are good for the time being. I hope that FP gets a supply to sell and that they wouldn't be backordered like phones ;)
  • Ron  TamariskRon Tamarisk FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 0
    FWIW--I went to the Apple Store in San Francisco last weekend to get a SIM card. They refused unless I could give them a phone that is activated on their network.
  • Lee WilliamsLee Williams FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 4
    Will the ting 406 R work on CDMA verizon iPhone 5s - I just ordered one and my VZ contract is closed, I have cell service for 3 more weeks.
    Is it the phone itself ? The sim or both ?
    Verizon will unlock @ any store. It's brand new..maybe I can trade down to one that works w FP ? 4, 4s? My iPad?
    The Verizon iPhone 5s is already factory unlocked from the box. The phone will NOT work with FP because it is from Verizon and the 5s isn't supported. What you could do is trade your phone on something like Swappa or eBay and then use the money to buy the 5. Or you can wait for another 4 months until the 5s is supported and trade Verizon for Sprint.
    @ali Very good point sir! I just realize when the one I ordered from Ting arrived that it would be impossible to use the card and put it back together in the plastic cutout it arrives in.

So again, wherever you buy your SIM, make sure it has not been removed from the actual 3x5 white card they are sold in and make sure it is a SIMGLW406R

Thanks everyone for helping make BYOD activation a bit less frustrating. Hopefully FP updates their support pages or supports the newer SIMs
    @stirfry2112‌ Glad I could help ;)

I think that Sprint should not be stingy about its policies for MVNO's... that would mean FP would support pretty much every device! Good luck with your BYOD!
  • Lee WilliamsLee Williams FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 4
    @stirfry2112‌
    I received the correct sprint sim. Are you saying it won't work? On 5s or because it's VZ?
    With a sprint sim, It's an FCC compliant CDMA- clean EIN, virtually a sprint phone. FP may not support 5s yet- so I can get a comparable non carrier, unlocked device that FP does support...is there such a device? No carrier, unlocked, no contract?
    @Lee Williams‌ There are many non carrier unlocked devices that basically every phone manufacturer sells. However FreedomPop only supports Sprint devices because it is a Sprint MVNO. If I were you I would either sell the 5s ASAP before the 6 comes out (u will get more money) and then once the 6 comes out buy a Sprint iPhone 5s and when we support it you can activate it. Or you can get $550 now and buy a $200 iPhone 5 off ebay and make $350 off of the sale ;)
  • Brian McPhersonBrian McPherson FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭

@stirfry2112‌
    I received the correct sprint sim. Are you saying it won't work? On 5s or because it's VZ?
    With a sprint sim, It's an FCC compliant CDMA- clean EIN, virtually a sprint phone. FP may not support 5s yet- so I can get a comparable non carrier, unlocked device that FP does support...is there such a device? No carrier, unlocked, no contract?

Yes, @Lee Williams‌ , it Verizon and that not be support with freedompop and freedompop is thru Sprint. It legal contacts that stand in the way of service.
    Email: itbrianmc@aol.com
    itbrianmc@comcast.net

For better help in real time, "Skype" is the best help I can offer. My Skype User is "freewill95". You can add me to your contact list and in the message box, type "freedompop user".