**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Can't get my galaxy s5 verizon to work without Wi-FI.

boatclubboatclub Unconfirmed, FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 14
I set up the APN and tried to use the app but it always says Wi-Fi not available, and won't work . At the top it of the phone it always says Sim card not from verizion, what can I do?

Answers

• AlejandraGAlejandraG FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 3,266 admin
    boatclub said:

I set up the APN and tried to use the app but it always says Wi-Fi not available, and won't work . At the top it of the phone it always says Sim card not from verizion, what can I do?

Hi! Can you please confirm that you are using an unlocked GSM device, running Android 4.1+ or iOS 8.2+?
  • boatclubboatclub Unconfirmed, FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 14
    How do I know if it's an unlocked GSM device?

boatclub said:

Hi! Can you please confirm that you are using an unlocked GSM device, running Android 4.1+ or iOS 8.2+?
    How do I know if it's a unlocked GSM device? It's running Android 5.0
    It must be unlocked GSM. it's a galaxy s5 that was on verizon I'm sure. I bought it from ebay. I'm updating it right now android marshmallow 6.0 from the settings > system update. The APN is definitely set up correctly, but I still cannot use the fpop app to make and calls or texts unless I'm on WIFI
    boatclub said:

It must be unlocked GSM. it's a galaxy s5 that was on verizon I'm sure. I bought it from ebay. I'm updating it right now android marshmallow 6.0 from the settings > system update. The APN is definitely set up correctly, but I still cannot use the fpop app to make and calls or texts unless I'm on WIFI

Its important to understand that no matter what type of phone service you have, you will need a SIM card inside of your device. If you have GSM service, the SIM card will give your device it’s calling and texting capabilities. If you have CDMA service, the SIM card will give your device the ability to connect to the LTE network.

Our 4G LTE sims need a compatible unlocked GSM device, running Android 4.1+ or iOS 8.2+.

If you are unsure if it's unlocked, we recommend contacting the company it was bought from, Verizon. trying to use a non-compatible device is probably one of the most common issues we run into, and we wouldn't like you to order something that you will not be able to use either, so we just want to make extra sure.
    edited May 24 #7
    I have the freedom pop SIM card in there and it is GSM running Android 6.0, and it is unlocked.
    Post edited by boatclub on
    I'm about to just buy one of these fpop galaxy s5s from this website for $80 on the memorial day sale... do they come set up so i can make calls while not connected to WiFI?
    boatclub said:

I have the freedom pop SIM card in there and it is GSM running Android 6.0, and it is unlocked.

Besides running a compatibnle version of Android, we need to know if it is GSM unlocked too, did you contact Verizon to find out?
    boatclub said:

I'm about to just buy one of these fpop galaxy s5s from this website for $80 on the memorial day sale... do they come set up so i can make calls while not connected to WiFI?

You can also make a purchase with us but be very careful when placing the order as most of our dvices, are the other type of technology, CDMA locked to Sprint. These other types of devices are incompatible with our sims.
    Also, the ones that are GSM unlocked, also come with a new sim and a new plan.
    If you have not incurred in a renewal on the sim you have and you are still on the trial, it might be better to cancel it and make a new purchase, now knowing the different technologies as well as the one you would prefer your device to be.
    I did contact Verizon and they said it was GSM unlocked.
    Are you saying FreedomPop sells phones that don't work with their service? I have had fpop for like 6 months, I'm not on the trial. It just still never works unless I'm connected to WiFi. I just want to be able to make calls if I'm not on WiFi.
    boatclub said:

I did contact Verizon and they said it was GSM unlocked.

boatclub said:

Are you saying FreedomPop sells phones that don't work with their service? I have had fpop for like 6 months, I'm not on the trial. It just still never works unless I'm connected to WiFi. I just want to be able to make calls if I'm not on WiFi.

It's not that we sell phones that don't work with our service but we sell different type of phones, with different type of technologies that are incompatible with each other.
    We do apologize but if the device was not from Freedompop, we cannot tell or guarantee it's unlocked if after following all steps provided, our sim is still not working.

We recommend trying these steps after performing a factory reset on the device, after backing up your data and set APN's and download our app.
    Could it be I was sent a SIM that is not compatible with my phone? Or all the SIMs fpop sends out the same? Are there different kinds of SIMs compatible with different phones?
    boatclub said:

Could it be I was sent a SIM that is not compatible with my phone? Or all the SIMs fpop sends out the same? Are there different kinds of SIMs compatible with different phones?

It's possible but the only way to tell is to try another GSM sim card on the device and see if you can use it without wifi. Do you happen to have another sim you could use to try this?