I got my SIII and would like to hear from folks who have an SIII about their connectivity.

M.A. II LopezM.A. II Lopez Posts: 1,163FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
edited August 2014 in Samsung Galaxy S3 (Phone) #1
I'm not interested in other issues right now and not asking for admin support. I want to hear from SIII users and what your connection experience is like at this time. If it has gotten better have you done anything to your phone (please pm me if you want to keep that info confidential from FP for warraty purposes). Have you done anything for connectivity purposes that does not violate warranty? Sound on your phone while talking, Voice issues with others, can they hear you, can you hear them. If it was an issue what did you do to correct it! Thats what I want to hear from folks. Please don't spam this thread with account issues, delivery/shipping problems, apps, and so forth. Just connectivity issues. I'm particularly interested in Jax Flo. folks. Thanks in advance. If its an ongoing problem I will help with tagging you for admin help on pm. I want an unfettered discussion! If you see a problem you have resolved let us know how you can pm'ing me I will pass it along if you like.

Comments

• billinjaxbillinjax Posts: 4FreedomPop Newbie
    @Miguel Lopez I'm at Jax Beach and got an S3 about a week ago. It was going to be mine but because my wife didn't like the HTC Evo 4g that I bought previously I decided to give her the S3. I'm working through some problems she is having, mostly calling problems. Either she can't call out or receive a call. Sometimes we can reboot the phone and then it will work. Also sometimes doing a PRL and profile update will correct the problem. But later on it will quit again. Now mostly we're trying to use the S3 on wifi but while on the road down Atlantic Blvd the 4glte didn't allow her to call or receive a call. Another thing just happened today is that if she does get a call to me her volume on my phone is too low to hear. My voice going to her is loud and clear. Yesterday I ordered a Groupon S2 and if the S3 continues to be a problem I will have to return it for credit under the 30 day warranty.
  • M.A. II LopezM.A. II Lopez Posts: 1,163FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    @billinjax‌ have you tried a msl reset yet? I just did one and it did a little help. I do loose 4glte down to 3g along parts of I10 near Roosevelt Blvd and along Dunn ave. I95 am mostly okay. I get on 95 @ Emerson and trail north. This morning I tested the s3 by calling my office and talking non-atop to my answering machine from Emerson to San Juan Blvd, had to call twice to complete my test. it was 4g let all the way. At a little past San Juan it dropped to 3g. I got a clear message to my office machine until it dropped to 3g. I'll say it was 4g much longer since the mal rest I did last night. I don't understand that since my metropcs phone is 3g and connects fine all over Jax. Am wondering if its an antenna issue? I have also experienced the low volume issue on my end. Trying to work through that too. if anyone have any ideas on these issue please chime in. Thank you Billinjax.
  • M.A. II LopezM.A. II Lopez Posts: 1,163FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    edited August 2014 #4
    So that's what I am asking for in this tread folk. It my hope that the admins will drop by once in a while and take note of connectivity issues with this phone, and in the long run pass the info to the techs to look into. The S3 is a great phone, connectivity at 4gLTE should not be a problem anywhere in a green connectivity map zone. So either Sprint is toning down signals to FP, or its software issues in the rom, or it's an antenna issue that should not be there on a refurbished phone. If anyone would like to shed some light on these please post also.
    I want to keep my S3, help us out.
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,274FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014 #5
    @MIGUEL LOPEZ‌ you compared metropcs to FP. Not the same. Metropcs is voice on CDMA or gsm. While FP is voice over ip (VoIP). If you installed a VoIP app on metropcs, then you could compare VoIP performances on their 3G data signals. Even then, with equal data signals, I'd expect some differences in the VoIP apps themselves.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
    I understand that rich, but I was only talking about talk and text. I don't have data with my 3g lg ms 695 phone ( I got the $25 plan). With a previous older phone on metro I had problems inside any store. I had to step outside to get a clear connection. But I understand your point. My account does not have gsm with metro, I have cdma-EvDo rev. A. But thanks for the point clarification

So Rich what do you make of the connectivity issues folks are complaining about? Hardware or software or...? I'd like your viw on this!
  • Patrick VickPatrick Vick Posts: 6FreedomPop Newbie
    I might have some quality problems with the FP VoIP app, but if I use an alternative SIP provider all is fine. I am glad Sprint's connection to my phone is good enough for that.
    Woah Sprinter, that maps is showing a lot of holes. I guess its becaus of the lack of people using it yet? Or is it a complete picture now of Jax?
    Just downloaded the app Sprinter. Sprint really got a lot of holes in their coverage consistency here in jax! Quite a disapointment.
  • Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3 Posts: 108FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan ✭✭✭

I might have some quality problems with the FP VoIP app, but if I use an alternative SIP provider all is fine. I am glad Sprint's connection to my phone is good enough for that.

I had read somewhere that some people were doing this. grooveip? something like that? either way..... so does an alternative VoIP app work better.. if so, which? and... dare i ask.. why?
    XDA, Captain Picard, and NYC ==> All kick a$$!
    That app Sprinter posted is quite a difference than the sprint map here,

http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?ECID=vanity:coverage

Stark contrast to what the Sensorly shows in real time now. I cant wait to drive home and letting it roam over my route again.
    Patrick have you changed SIP? if you can answer we would like to know. If you want you can share it via pm. It would be very interesting to see how it may change our connectivity issues.
    Just noticed and wondering, my 4g icon is bold white, but the LTE part is light white. Am I getting lte or just 4g? Anyone?
    I've been reading older articles about S3 battery and antena issues. Seems its an old issue with the S3. For the antenna/connectivity issues with regards to the talk signals the S3 suggestion from Samsung was a complete factory reset, and I don't think they meant msl resets. Other suggestions included turning off and on the phone so it could reaquire the closest tower signal, which is problematic and cumbersome if you are in a moving vehicle. If we do a complete factory reset, would that affect anything that FP has put into the phone itself as far as programing/refurbishing process for our use? Any thoughts on this?
    I will pm one of our admins with this question.
    I installed an app called Zoiper to give me the ability to use my SIP account provided by Viatalk. Often I get call quality issues with the built in app that uses the FP voip setup, but the Zoiper app using Viatalk's SIP solution usually sounds as good as a land line. I am also not limited to 200 mins or any additional expense as I already use Viatalk for my home phone so they provide the extra SIP account for free. What is cool this way is that I can both place and receive calls from my home phone number on my cell.
    @Patrick Vick‌ but to use that app you must have that other service correct? Or another other SIP account with a different provider? @Ali can you lend some clarification to the SIP or connectivity issue? Am really running out of time to keep the S3, and am having connectivity issues! Loose connection along some local roads, low voice on answering side, drops from 4g to 3g indoors from one side of a supermarket to another. let me know your thoughts on this thanks.
  • Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014 #18
    @MIGUEL LOPEZ‌ Sprint is not limiting FreedomPop's coverage at all, if you will go out and about with a normal Sprint phone, you will notice the same coverage issues you are experiencing with your S3. You could try fixing these issues with a PRL update. Whenever your phone says 4G, you are actually getting LTE because WiMAX isn't supported on the S3. As for voice, Sprint drops to 1X for making calls via voice while FreedomPop uses VoLTE. However since their service is through Layered for SIP, it kinda sux the way it is. I have two solutions for you to fix this -

1. I can send you the Verizon PRL I used for a friends' iPhone 5, the same PRL should work for your S3. However I am not sure if you will get LTE or not but 3G is faster than Sprint's LTE in my results

2. If you use Google Hangouts or another service for SIP then that should work flawlessly. SipGate or Voxox are good SIP providers.

EDIT: SipGate has closed down, this sux :\
  • S MPS MP Posts: 350FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭
    @MIGUEL LOPEZ‌ - I'd just like to second what Ali said, and also you said - your signal "drops from 4g to 3g indoors from one side of the supermarket to another" - That is totally normal. I've had every provider...Verizon, Tmobile, Sprint, and even Cingular back in the day...this always happened. Most of the time I would lose connectivity altogether, so if you are still getting 3G in the back of a supermarket count that as success! :)
    I'm not an employee...only a volunteer. If you need official assistance:

Freedompop Customer Service numbers-(888) 743-8107---(888) 906-3184---855) 703-5785---(888) 673-8518---888) 915-2647--(888) 731-1555--(888) 701-1353, Monday-Friday 8am-8pm PDT.
    Oh and also, I just looked up the network vision for Jacksonville, FL -
    Looks like it should be complete in your area sometime in the next few months. :)

Jacksonville

NV Sites Accepted = 96%

LTE Sites Accepted = 93%
    LTE Launched = July 30, 2013 (Gainesville/Palatka launched 6/2013)

Original Scheduled Completion = March 2013
    Current Production Rate Completion = September 2014

Freedompop Customer Service numbers-(888) 743-8107---(888) 906-3184---855) 703-5785---(888) 673-8518---888) 915-2647--(888) 731-1555--(888) 701-1353, Monday-Friday 8am-8pm PDT.
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,274FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    @S MP‌ , how do I do a lookup in my or nearby neighborhoods ?
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
    Excellent to all responses. Hopefully these responses should help other folks...If they just bothered to come looking for them rather than begin new threads that keep our Admins busy.
    @Rich Sias ( LastDay: 16th )‌ - You can look it up on the s4gru site.

http://s4gru.com/

I am using a SIP account from Viatalk, which is a home phone voip provider like Vonage. Your indoor 4G to 3G drops can only be fixed via a cell signal repeater. Please use them when they are on the edge of a cell. Your best bet indoors is to stick with wifi. 4G on Sprint's network never tests better then about 7mbps for me, I usually get 3 or 4mbps. For the VoIP app, that would be enough if it was a land line, but add all the dropped packets from wireless and you get those problems. Good luck to ya!
    Incidentally, I did have to select the NYC server for my VPN to get a good connection to my Viatalk provided SIP account, which is in NYC as well. This is on my iPad and PC, I still can't get any encryption working on my Freedompop S3.
    Yes, and that drop from 4G to 3G might mean nothing to the stronger 1X signal your voice calls are normally on, most people don't notice nor care. We do, since we are only on the data side of Sprint's network and not on the traditional 1X or SMS side at all. It's an interesting solution and totally works for me this way.