**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Local calls are long distance and does data need to be on to make phone calls?

Russell WoodRussell Wood FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 6
I just activated my new phone and was assigned a number in my area code when purchased but local calls still need to have the area code put in. Is that normal and/or can it be fixed? None of my contacts seem to work because they are all local and it won't connect.

I've also read in these forums that FreedomPop uses VOIP and you either need to have LTE or wireless service in order to make calls. I usually turn data off on phones as I don't really like to use the Internet and don't want it running up the bandwidth allotment. I've got computers for that. But it does not sound like that will work any longer if I can't get texts or calls with it off. Please advise - Thank you.

Best Answer

Answers

• kerstuffkerstuff FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    edited June 21 #3
    You MUST have data enabled all the time for Fpop service. Phone calls use very little data. When you call/text other Fpop subscribers you are not charged minutes/texts. VoIP only works on data of course.

Calls requiring the area code isn't long distance. Most areas in the country require area code.
  • Russell WoodRussell Wood FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 6
    Well that answers half my questions. I figured that was the case. Thanks!
  • Russell WoodRussell Wood FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 6
    I will give it a shot, thank you.
  • kerstuffkerstuff FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 635 ✭✭✭
    edited June 21 #6
    It may be a hassle but put the area code on your Google contacts if using Android. BTW, in case you think you might use Google Voice/Hangouts in the future, I would go ahead and input "+1" before your area code and you'll be golden.
  • ElistarielElistariel FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 2
    Can he not make calls over WiFi, with data turned off? (Assuming he has WiFi.)
    Having to dial the area code for your own area isn't unusual. In my neck of the woods we have to dial the area code, even if we're literally calling next door. That's just how it is in some places.