**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Messaging app shows off-the wall numbers

R SonshineR Sonshine Posts: 40FreedomPop Newbie
Over the past few months, text messages have been showing an unknown number. I messaged someone at an (818) area code, but it looks like it came from a (504) number. Ditto two friends in (310), one shows a (617) and the other a (202). I am clueless what is generating these numbers. It means messages all have to be opened, callers are not recognized, etc. Anyone else?

Comments

• AlejandraGAlejandraG Posts: 5,698FreedomPop Newbie admin

Over the past few months, text messages have been showing an unknown number. I messaged someone at an (818) area code, but it looks like it came from a (504) number. Ditto two friends in (310), one shows a (617) and the other a (202). I am clueless what is generating these numbers. It means messages all have to be opened, callers are not recognized, etc. Anyone else?

Hi! Is this something that happens on wifi or while of wifi too?
  • R SonshineR Sonshine Posts: 40FreedomPop Newbie
    It doesn't seem to matter whether I am on wifi or not. Text to the same person will show different numbers. Texts from an AC 310 number come from an AC 972 number one time and from the correct number another time. Text to a 310 number shows sent correctly, but reply comes from a 916 number. It might be happening more on WiFi, but (separate issue) messaging quits multiple times a day, so if I plan to use it I turn on data. If the WiFi signal is strong it might override the Data connection.
    Doesn't seem to matter. Messaging quits 4-5 times daily, so if it's important I turn on data to give me a better chance of sending.

It doesn't seem to matter whether I am on wifi or not. Text to the same person will show different numbers. Texts from an AC 310 number come from an AC 972 number one time and from the correct number another time. Text to a 310 number shows sent correctly, but reply comes from a 916 number. It might be happening more on WiFi, but (separate issue) messaging quits multiple times a day, so if I plan to use it I turn on data. If the WiFi signal is strong it might override the Data connection.

Because we are a VOIP and use over IP connections instead of cellular, this may happen more times on wifi but we recommend to disconnect from wifi and sync the account on the device and make sure you use the phone number instead of the email address to log in.
    I did all that, removed and reinstalled the app, and today, using cell connection, got a message from an AC 913 number that shows up as (617) 871-xxxx. A frequent messager whose number is in AC 408 shows up as (678) 208-xxxx. On 7/28, she texted correctly as AC 408. Two days ago she shows up as AC (678) again, a number that first was associated with her phone on 7/2. Is there nothing I can do? I wrote to support (and now can no longer log in to support) detailing a dozen examples, and with no further reply, I received a $2.49 credit. Am I the only person having this dilemma?

I did all that, removed and reinstalled the app, and today, using cell connection, got a message from an AC 913 number that shows up as (617) 871-xxxx. A frequent messager whose number is in AC 408 shows up as (678) 208-xxxx. On 7/28, she texted correctly as AC 408. Two days ago she shows up as AC (678) again, a number that first was associated with her phone on 7/2. Is there nothing I can do? I wrote to support (and now can no longer log in to support) detailing a dozen examples, and with no further reply, I received a $2.49 credit. Am I the only person having this dilemma?

When you logged in, did you use your phone number instead of the email address?
    Also, all the examples provided, took place while using data and not wifi, correct?
    I'm not sure what you're asking about when I logged in. I'm always logged in, am I not? Isn't that why I lock my screen? I log in to this site with the number not my email. I can't log in to email support in any manner or with any combination of email, number and password, which was reset by support recently.

Yes, always when I use data now. I've just left data active because messaging quits when it switches from data to WiFi, so 3 to 15 times a day.

I'm not sure what you're asking about when I logged in. I'm always logged in, am I not? Isn't that why I lock my screen? I log in to this site with the number not my email. I can't log in to email support in any manner or with any combination of email, number and password, which was reset by support recently.

Yes, always when I use data now. I've just left data active because messaging quits when it switches from data to WiFi, so 3 to 15 times a day.

Thanks for clarifying. The device with this issue is the LG Volt, Black under the email that you use for this forum, correct?
    Also, can you let us know of any troubleshooting step you have tried?
    Actually, it is a Samsung S4, has been for most of the past two years. In another screen it is correct and it didn't seem important to change it. I have deleted and installed FP messaging. I made Sprint's messaging the default yesterday (although that didn't work). I restart at least once a day. I realized that WiFi is set as primary (when available), but I mostly am using data when I'm out and about. I had WiFi off yesterday and had 2-3 3G bars, so a critical message wasn't delivered.

When the app works, it's fine, but it's overwhelmingly unreliable, and gives me those random numbers. Most recently, a 913 area code displays as a 617. Messaging in a long thread from someone else in my contacts sometimes displays her correct 408 AC, other times shows up as 678 AC.

I cannot log in with my number, just with my email. I can't log in from the device when I'm logged in on my Mac, as I am now. I'm going to log off both computer and phone.

If I could back up my phone (android file transfer doesn't work) I would be happy to zero it out and reinstall everything, but I can't seem to do that either.

Actually, it is a Samsung S4, has been for most of the past two years. In another screen it is correct and it didn't seem important to change it. I have deleted and installed FP messaging. I made Sprint's messaging the default yesterday (although that didn't work). I restart at least once a day. I realized that WiFi is set as primary (when available), but I mostly am using data when I'm out and about. I had WiFi off yesterday and had 2-3 3G bars, so a critical message wasn't delivered.

When the app works, it's fine, but it's overwhelmingly unreliable, and gives me those random numbers. Most recently, a 913 area code displays as a 617. Messaging in a long thread from someone else in my contacts sometimes displays her correct 408 AC, other times shows up as 678 AC.

I cannot log in with my number, just with my email. I can't log in from the device when I'm logged in on my Mac, as I am now. I'm going to log off both computer and phone.

If I could back up my phone (android file transfer doesn't work) I would be happy to zero it out and reinstall everything, but I can't seem to do that either.

Can you please confirm the MEID number of the Samsung device in question?
    MEID:
    Dec 256691488408524928
    Hex 0x99000344821480

IMEI: 990003448214805

MEID:
    Dec 256691488408524928
    Hex 0x99000344821480

IMEI: 990003448214805

Thanks! The account name is LG volt but the device assigned, is the S4, I'm sorry for the confusion. we recommend the next steps to ensure systems are set up correctly.

-Update to the latest version of the FreedomPop Text and Messaging app, available a the Play Store for Android.

You can use this link directly: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.freedompop.phone&hl=en

Then:
    1. Select the menu button (located to the right of the home button)
    2. Tap Settings
    3. Tap More(upper right)
    4. Then scroll down and tap System Update
    . Select Update Profile and let it run fully (may take up to 90 seconds)
    6. After the network profile is updated, repeat the same steps, but this time select Update PRL instead of update profile

After performing the PRL update please perform a carrier reset. In some cases, you will be asked for a password, which is your device's Master Subsidy Lock code (MSL): 675768
    If your device doesn't prompt you for an MSL code, then it is not needed to complete the reset.

Here are the steps to reset:

1. Disable WiFi and enable data if needed.
    2. Go to the dial pad or phone app.
    3. Enter # # 72786 #
    4. If prompted for a password, enter your MSL code. For some phones, you may need to tap the menu icon on the top right hand corner.
    5. Confirm the reset.
    6. Allow the device to restart and go through the activation process
    Note: Some LTE devices can perform a carrier reset over a WiFi connection. If that doesn't work then follow step one before trying the carrier reset.

-Sync Account Data
    Go to Menu on the app and scroll down until you find the option that reads "Sync Account".Log in with your phone number instead of email address.
    Using Wifi and sitting in front of my router, I got this far:
    I thought I had messaging installed, but when I follow your link, I got a new install link, so I installed it without uninstalling the existing messaging. They appear to be the same though.

However, once I navigate to Update Profile from System Update, I repeatedly get the error message "The profile update could not be completed. Please try again later. If the problem persists, you may need to contact Customer Service. Error: Internal Error (407)."
    While it is attempting to update, this message appears:
    "Sprintaccount username (Device ID) is null"
    I uninstalled messaging and tried again. I was able to reinstall it from your link, and then do the Profile and PRL updates. I disabled WiFi, activated data, and was not prompted for a password. An SCRTN screen came up, the reset confirmation I presume. Phone restarted, FP waited for a connection and now FreedomPop setup is complete (with my correct phone number). Only time will tell whether this worked to prevent texters from appearing with random numbers. Thank you. I shall let you know as soon as I get another text message.

I uninstalled messaging and tried again. I was able to reinstall it from your link, and then do the Profile and PRL updates. I disabled WiFi, activated data, and was not prompted for a password. An SCRTN screen came up, the reset confirmation I presume. Phone restarted, FP waited for a connection and now FreedomPop setup is complete (with my correct phone number). Only time will tell whether this worked to prevent texters from appearing with random numbers. Thank you. I shall let you know as soon as I get another text message.

You are welcome! Please make sure to let us know if the issue persists to further escalate this matter id needed. Take care!
This discussion has been closed.