**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

phone automatically mistakenly puts in 1-plus

Edward  Cannon Edward Cannon FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 8
Local calls here (area code 210) require ten digits but *NOT* "1+". However, the phone keeps automatically putting "1+" in front of the ten digits and prevents a successfull phone call. Phone calls other area codes well enough. I searched here and there but have not found this issue elsewhere so far. I have tried directly using the keypad as well as using contacts; that makes no difference.

Best Answers

Answers

• AlejandraGAlejandraG FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 2,780 admin

Local calls here (area code 210) require ten digits but *NOT* "1+". However, the phone keeps automatically putting "1+" in front of the ten digits and prevents a successfull phone call. Phone calls other area codes well enough. I searched here and there but have not found this issue elsewhere so far. I have tried directly using the keypad as well as using contacts; that makes no difference.

Hello Edward, let us see how we can help. To confirm, you are using the Freedompop messaging app tp outbound calls and not your device's native dialer, correct?
    Please forward a screeshot.
  •  Edward  Cannon Edward Cannon FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 8
    Thank you for your reply. I'm using the green icon called "Phone". So I actually don't know if that's the FreedomPop messaging app or not. I got the phone, a Samsung Galaxy S4, directly from FreedomPop about three weeks ago. This is my first smartphone, so I'm still learning. Using that icon works when I call a long-distance number. The problem is only with local numbers here that require all ten digits -- without the "1+". Now I have to be offline for a while but will definitely get back here later. I have no idea how to view this using the phone itself.
  • AlejandraGAlejandraG FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 2,780 admin

Thank you for your reply. I'm using the green icon called "Phone". So I actually don't know if that's the FreedomPop messaging app or not. I got the phone, a Samsung Galaxy S4, directly from FreedomPop about three weeks ago. This is my first smartphone, so I'm still learning. Using that icon works when I call a long-distance number. The problem is only with local numbers here that require all ten digits -- without the "1+". Now I have to be offline for a while but will definitely get back here later. I have no idea how to view this using the phone itself.

You have to download it since it's essential for our services to work as a VOIP service that provides service through a Voice over IP connection. This means that we use the Internet to connect your calls, communicate texts and allow you access to the Web and the app is the one that converts this data to calls and texts.
  •  Edward  Cannon Edward Cannon FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 8
    Thank you Alejandra! It turns out that I did have the FP Messaging app but didn't know that it was the one to use. I had assumed that the green "Phone" app was also FreedomPop. (One small complaint I have so far about apps is that some of them are not well identified; it's not clear who their publisher is. Among my apps appear, side-by-side, "Messages" and "Messaging". Neither one of them is easily identifiable to me, so far.) So using the little green phone icon on the contact did work. Of course I would still like to know why these ten-digit local calls don't work on the green "Phone" app, since other phone calls do work with it. ----- Last-minute update: What if I'm out somewhere where there's no wi-fi? Does that mean I will not be able to make phone calls? Is there some written detailed information about how these things work and how to set them up? I did search a fair amount but didn't find anything very clear to a brand-new smartphone user. It still seems very weird that *any* phone or messaging app would put in the unnecessary and in fact problematic "1-plus" before a local ten-digit phone number. Thank you again for your help!
This discussion has been closed.