What are the "Custom" parts of the Freedompop S3 phone?

MiFi 4082MiFi 4082 Posts: 32FreedomPop Newbie
KitKat L710VPUND8 is stock Samsung/Sprint right?
PlilZ Touch 6, is not stock, but is it a custom part (but not modified by FP)
FP Messaging App - custom
FP Config App - custom
FP My FP App - custom
Am I missing anything?

Best Answer

Answers

• Henry  chea Henry chea Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    My phone also came with the FreedomPop Hotspot app.

Some of the system files are also custom, for example the power-on and power-off splash videos and audio. It also appears that they've pre-applied the Kitkat SD card fix hack.

There are probably other parts of the OS that were customized, as evidenced by an annoying bug on these FP-ROM phones: many apps like swiftkey or Google Translate aren't able to write files to the storage successfully. I hope that the FP team is working on fixing this bug, because it cripples quite a few important apps. Other than that, my phone has been working brilliantly: much better than any previous FP phone I've had.

Also, the FP ROM probably removes some of the Sprint bloatware. I know that with my S2, apps like NASCAR and Sprint streaming entertainment services were removed. I imagine the same thing happened with the S3.
  • MiFi 4082MiFi 4082 Posts: 32FreedomPop Newbie
    @ "Henry chea" does your FP Hotspot app work? is that via WiFi or USB?
    are you telling us.. or asking? i'm guessing you have received your S3 from them? lucky bastard! mine is still in kitting. looks like its going to be one long August for me. :-\"

1. Both
    2. Yes I did (I think I ordered it within an hour of the posting)
    3. I think you will like it when you get!

• Henry  chea Henry chea Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    I just tried the FP hotspot app, and it doesn't seem to work. When I try to turn it on, the app shows an error message saying that I'm not signed up for the Sprint hotspot service. It subsequently shuts itself back off.

No matter, since it's not a function I plan on using anyway.
    I trying to determine what (if any) is the difference in FP experience from the G S3 purchased from FP vs a BYOD one. Any thoughts as to functionality or the ability to take advantage of FP future tweaks and updates?
    It looks like the ROM has been Deodexed as well. And the Knox Apps have been removed.
  • Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3Nes FP-SGalaxy_S3 Posts: 108FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan ✭✭✭
    so that means.... Knox being removed should indicate that we can play around and make our phones look pretty from the inside out?
    XDA, Captain Picard, and NYC ==> All kick a$$!
    Well. . .no, probably not in the way you are hoping. Yes and No it is complicated. But as not the original owner of this S3 phone, not an issue. It will only be an issue if Sprint/Samsung release a post KitKat Android update for the S3 (not likely. .?), then it might get tricky. This from the little I know about custom ROMs. So do your own due diligence.
  • Brian McPhersonBrian McPherson Posts: 1,365FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭

I just tried the FP hotspot app, and it doesn't seem to work. When I try to turn it on, the app shows an error message saying that I'm not signed up for the Sprint hotspot service. It subsequently shuts itself back off.

No matter, since it's not a function I plan on using anyway.

Freedompop do not support phone hotspot right now.
    Email: [email protected]
    [email protected]

For better help in real time, "Skype" is the best help I can offer. My Skype User is "freewill95". You can add me to your contact list and in the message box, type "freedompop user".
  • meclacmeclac Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    The mobile switch is gone from the Freedompop version.
  • Stephanie WilsonStephanie Wilson Posts: 3FreedomPop Newbie
    Was wondering why swiftkey keeps fussing about language packs.
  • Brian McPhersonBrian McPherson Posts: 1,365FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭

My phone also came with the FreedomPop Hotspot app.

Some of the system files are also custom, for example the power-on and power-off splash videos and audio. It also appears that they've pre-applied the Kitkat SD card fix hack.

There are probably other parts of the OS that were customized, as evidenced by an annoying bug on these FP-ROM phones: many apps like swiftkey or Google Translate aren't able to write files to the storage successfully. I hope that the FP team is working on fixing this bug, because it cripples quite a few important apps. Other than that, my phone has been working brilliantly: much better than any previous FP phone I've had.

Also, the FP ROM probably removes some of the Sprint bloatware. I know that with my S2, apps like NASCAR and Sprint streaming entertainment services were removed. I imagine the same thing happened with the S3.

@Henry Chea‌ , this is customized rom, freedompop app would not be able to work with parts of the rom because it not setup for that. Since you got it this way when you buy it, you have to live with it. It's compatibility issue.
    [email protected]

For better help in real time, "Skype" is the best help I can offer. My Skype User is "freewill95". You can add me to your contact list and in the message box, type "freedompop user".
    Great to hear that. Good Day
    [email protected]