**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Phone recommendation? 4g LTE GSM android reliable w/ FP sim card / phone service and data

Don TeepleDon Teeple FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 7
edited August 2 in Getting Started #1
I want a back-up phone for my AT&T phone. Any recommendations on a GSM compatible phone with good function/decent speed for data / phone use and 4g LTE with FreedomPop?

Primary use would be for Lyft / Uber services and communication with on Whatsapp / facebook (fiance) in case of need of a back-up. (sparing use, only for emergencies but it needs to be reliable for that - for when my main phone is lost/broken or in for repair etc)

I'm looking for a reliable GSM phone that has android so I can use the same apps/logins for google accounts for ease of configuration.

What is out there for an unlocked phone that would work reliably on 4g LTE or close to those network speeds?, I have already ordered a Freedompop sim, now I'm looking on Amazon or similar for an unlocked phone.

I was looking at some unlocked phones and was shocked to read that some don't have full functionality on GSM / Freedompop service. Can anyone guide me to some known good proven devices?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Don
Post edited by Don Teeple on

Answers

• Don TeepleDon Teeple FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 7
    well I decided to give this phone a try, and its on the way.... I shall see how it goes. I wanted a phone that I might also use on trips out of the country with different sim (if the need arises on a rare vacation etc)...

Moto G - G5 4G LTE Dual Sim XT1671 32GB / 2Gb Ram International Version (5th gen)... we shall see.
  • kerstuffkerstuff FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    They are a nice phone. I have the Moto G4 Play & love it. From what I've been reading is that G5 is a better phone than the new Moto G6.
    Thanks Kerstuff, I received the phone and sim card, and so far everything has worked great! I had to scan the bar code and use the FP app to get the initial sim card setup finalized, but all worked as expected. I was able to make and receive a call with or without wifi turned on. I am receiving texts. I was able to setup gmail, whatsapp, uber, facebook messenger to get started. I had trouble with the phone number on lyft for some reason it said it was an invalid number or phone carrier, but I used a google voice number and it worked fine. That is more app specific.

FWIW, so far very happy with the phone and service for an emergency back-up.
  • kerstuffkerstuff FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 657 ✭✭✭
    The Fpop number is recognized by Uber & Lyft as VoIP. Because of that they won't recognize as being valid. In my part of the country the AT&T based sim works great. I recently purchased a pristine Moto G2 and moved a sim with 4 months left (annual plan) and my wife is unaware that is VoIP!
    very cool, I was thinking to do a pre-paid annual plan for a 2nd phone for my fiance when she comes... but only if I had the option to buy more data... say 35 or 40gb prepaid I'd be all over that.. Thinking she would use 3gb per month at absolute most so it would last a long while. (at a higher price of course vs. 49.99)