**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Poor Network connection

MaimairenMaimairen FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 3
I'm new to cell phones in general; I've used an iPhone a little, but have no experience with Android. I have the ZTE Prestige 2 phone (Android 6) for the free service, am beginning to learn about it. I've made a couple calls, had some trouble, but am not sure if it's due to my inexperience or some malfunction.

The Network status icon in the status bar at the top of the phone screen shows poor connection, i.e. only the bottom left corner of the triangle is "live". It looks like there are three levels: poor, medium, and good; so the connection is poor. Occasionally it goes to medium for a second or two, then back to poor. Equally often it goes dark entirely.

The FreedomPop Diagnostic app says Network Strength: GREAT (though it's rather hard to see, being in light yellow against white; whose idea was that?). But the phone doesn't seem to agree.

Today I went to the grocery store, about a mile from my house. I checked the phone several times during the trip; again, it mostly showed poor connection, occasionally medium, occasionally none. I did notice that it said LTE sometimes; I've never seen that in my house.

I live near the center of the capital city in a Mountain West state, just a couple blocks from the state capitol building. FreedomPop's Coverage map shows the entire city as solid green, i.e. complete coverage, as I understand it. If the connection is so poor right in the middle of the city, what will it be like out of town?

My iPhone is on Verizon's network, it usually shows 3 bars out of 4, i.e. good, if not excellent. Is Sprint's network so much inferior to Verizon's? Or is there something wrong with this phone?

Answers

• María_MMaría_M FP Flyer Posts: 2,837 admin
    Maimairen said:

I'm new to cell phones in general; I've used an iPhone a little, but have no experience with Android. I have the ZTE Prestige 2 phone (Android 6) for the free service, am beginning to learn about it. I've made a couple calls, had some trouble, but am not sure if it's due to my inexperience or some malfunction.

The Network status icon in the status bar at the top of the phone screen shows poor connection, i.e. only the bottom left corner of the triangle is "live". It looks like there are three levels: poor, medium, and good; so the connection is poor. Occasionally it goes to medium for a second or two, then back to poor. Equally often it goes dark entirely.

The FreedomPop Diagnostic app says Network Strength: GREAT (though it's rather hard to see, being in light yellow against white; whose idea was that?). But the phone doesn't seem to agree.

Today I went to the grocery store, about a mile from my house. I checked the phone several times during the trip; again, it mostly showed poor connection, occasionally medium, occasionally none. I did notice that it said LTE sometimes; I've never seen that in my house.

I live near the center of the capital city in a Mountain West state, just a couple blocks from the state capitol building. FreedomPop's Coverage map shows the entire city as solid green, i.e. complete coverage, as I understand it. If the connection is so poor right in the middle of the city, what will it be like out of town?

My iPhone is on Verizon's network, it usually shows 3 bars out of 4, i.e. good, if not excellent. Is Sprint's network so much inferior to Verizon's? Or is there something wrong with this phone?

Hello Maimairen! Upon review, we can see that the device has been successfully assigned, we recommend the next steps to ensure systems are set up correctly.

-Download or update to the latest version of the FreedomPop Text and Messaging app, available a the Play Store for Android .

You can use this link directly: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.freedompop.phone&hl=en

Then:
    1. Select the menu button (located to the right of the home button)
    2. Tap Settings
    3. Tap More(upper right)
    4. Then scroll down and tap System Update
    . Select Update Profile and let it run fully (may take up to 90 seconds)
    6. After the network profile is updated, repeat the same steps, but this time select Update PRL instead of update profile

After performing the PRL update please perform a carrier reset. In some cases, you will be asked for a password, which is your device's Master Subsidy Lock code (MSL): 732037. If your device doesn't prompt you for an MSL code, then it is not needed to complete the reset.

Here are the steps to reset:

1. Disable WiFi and enable data if needed.
    2. Go to the dial pad or phone app.
    3. Enter # # 72786 #
    4. If prompted for a password, enter your MSL code. For some phones, you may need to tap the menu icon on the top right-hand corner.
    5. Confirm the reset.
    6. Allow the device to restart and go through the activation process
    Note: Some LTE devices can perform a carrier reset over a WiFi connection. If that doesn't work then follow step one before trying the carrier reset.