**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Bought prepaid plan - but maybe I need to do a BYOD?

JacobsJacobs FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 15
Hi.

I bought a 3 month prepaid plan for FreedomPop at my local Target store, but the sim card does not work in my Sprint LG G5 (model 992). I have ported my old number to FreedomPop, and my account with FP is active. However, I cant receive calls, send or receive messages and I cant access the internet with my phone.

I tried to do the BYOD activation, but it fails and told me to call FreedomPop. This led to 1 hour skyping with different FP people, and I was told that the issue was that my old number had not been added to t he account. The agent then emailed me and claimed that everything was fixed. It was not. I replied to the email, and the agent claimed that I cannot use a Sprint device with FP and closed the ticket.

Help!

Answers

• kerstuffkerstuff FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 664 ✭✭✭
    Sprint phones are different. They only work on Sprint sims.
  • JacobsJacobs FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 15
    I have a Sprint sim and I told the agent this in my reply. I also gave my MEID and IMEI as well as the ICCD for the Sprint sim.
  • María_MMaría_M FP Flyer Posts: 3,555 admin
    Jacobs said:

Hi.

I bought a 3 month prepaid plan for FreedomPop at my local Target store, but the sim card does not work in my Sprint LG G5 (model 992). I have ported my old number to FreedomPop, and my account with FP is active. However, I cant receive calls, send or receive messages and I cant access the internet with my phone.

I tried to do the BYOD activation, but it fails and told me to call FreedomPop. This led to 1 hour skyping with different FP people, and I was told that the issue was that my old number had not been added to t he account. The agent then emailed me and claimed that everything was fixed. It was not. I replied to the email, and the agent claimed that I cannot use a Sprint device with FP and closed the ticket.

Help!

Hello Jacobs! Thank you for reaching out FreedomPop. Our GSM 4G LTE SIM cards work on any unlocked device that supports Android 4.1+ or iOS 8.2+. If you are unsure if yours is unlocked, we recommend contacting the company it was bought from.

If you would like to bring your device over to FreedomPop, our Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) Program is designed to provide our customers with an alternative option to taking advantage of our service. We allow the activation of new or pre-owned Sprint smartphones and tablets.

To get started, simply enter your ESN or MEID on our BYOD Activation Page (www.freedompop.com/byod) to find out if your phone is eligible for activation. Please be advised of the following requirements before you begin the process:
    - Sprint locked Android or iOS smartphone.
    - A valid, bank-issued credit or debit card.
    - $19.99 for the BYOD activation fee.

We can confirm that your phone number was successfully ported into this account, however, you will only be able to get service when using an unlocked GSM device running Android 4.1+ or iOS 8.2+.
    I have:
    Sprint locked phone (LG G5)
    Valid card (and paypal)
    Activation fee.

However, BYOD FAILED, which is why I have spoken to FreedomPop agents and why I am posting here.

María_M said:

Jacobs said:

Hi.

Help!

Hello Jacobs! Thank you for reaching out FreedomPop. Our GSM 4G LTE SIM cards work on any unlocked device that supports Android 4.1+ or iOS 8.2+. If you are unsure if yours is unlocked, we recommend contacting the company it was bought from.

If you would like to bring your device over to FreedomPop, our Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) Program is designed to provide our customers with an alternative option to taking advantage of our service. We allow the activation of new or pre-owned Sprint smartphones and tablets.

To get started, simply enter your ESN or MEID on our BYOD Activation Page (www.freedompop.com/byod) to find out if your phone is eligible for activation. Please be advised of the following requirements before you begin the process:

We can confirm that your phone number was successfully ported into this account, however, you will only be able to get service when using an unlocked GSM device running Android 4.1+ or iOS 8.2+.
    I tried BYOD with my Sprint sim card, but the activation failed. I then called the number give on the web page, which led to the hour plus on the phone and still no ability to receive calls/messages/internet. Is my MEID registered on my page? How can I check? Sprint claims that I am now on FP.
    Jacobs said:

María_M said:

Jacobs said:

Hi.

Help!

I tried BYOD with my Sprint sim card, but the activation failed. I then called the number give on the web page, which led to the hour plus on the phone and still no ability to receive calls/messages/internet. Is my MEID registered on my page? How can I check? Sprint claims that I am now on FP.
    As we stated before Jacobs, we can confirm that your phone number was successfully ported into this account, however, you will only be able to get service when using an unlocked GSM device running Android 4.1+ or iOS 8.2+ and NOT in your Sprint locked phone (LG G5) since this is not a compatible device for our SIM card.
    Why did BYOD fail with my Sprint LG G5?
    edited September 12 #9
    Jacobs said:

Why did BYOD fail with my Sprint LG G5?

Please keep in mind that you need to enter your ESN or MEID of the device (not the SIM card) in our BYOD Activation Page.

Its important to understand that no matter what type of phone service you have, you will need a SIM card inside of your device. If you have GSM service, the SIM card will give your device it’s calling and texting capabilities. If you have CDMA service, the SIM card will give your device the ability to connect to the LTE network.

We recommend taking a look at the following support articles to have a better understanding of this matter:

What does GSM Unlocked mean?
    https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3594/kw/phone number

Does my phone need a SIM card?
    https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3453/kw/NEEDS A SIM CARD
    Trying something new:

I am giving up on getting my G5 to work, and I am bringing my old Nexus 5X (ATT) back to life.

Can you help me get my Nexus 5X to use my FreedomPop prepaid GSM SIM Kit?

Nexus 5x:
    IMEI:

SIM ICCD:
  • AlejandraGAlejandraG FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 3,535 admin
    Jacobs said:

Trying something new:

I am giving up on getting my G5 to work, and I am bringing my old Nexus 5X (ATT) back to life.

Nexus 5x:
    IMEI:

SIM ICCD:

Hi! can you please confirm if the Nexus 5X is a GSM unlocked or a CDMA version to be able to determine the correct way to activate it?

Jacobs said:

Trying something new:

Nexus 5x:
    IMEI:

SIM ICCD:

Hi! can you please confirm if the Nexus 5X is a GSM unlocked or a CDMA version to be able to determine the correct way to activate it?

GSM unlocked Nexus 5X, previously used with an AT&T SIM (as well as with Talkmore SIM in Norway).
  • AlejandraGAlejandraG FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 3,535 admin
    Jacobs said:

Jacobs said:

Trying something new:

Nexus 5x:
    IMEI:

SIM ICCD:

GSM unlocked Nexus 5X, previously used with an AT&T SIM (as well as with Talkmore SIM in Norway).
    Thanks!
    Please follow thse steps on your Nexus 5 device to ensure that it's set up properly:
    -Set APN

Tap on Settings
    Tap on Tethering & Networks
    Tap on Mobile Networks
    Make sure Mobile Data is checked
    Make sure Data Roaming is checked
    Tap on Access Point Names
    Tap the three dots in the top right corner, to open APN settings
    Tap the " New APN" button to add a custom APN
    Under the APN field, type in " fp.com.attz" .
    Under the name field, enter "FreedomPop". Leave the other sections blank.
    Go back to the previous menu, and you should see the new APN setting available.
    Select it.
    Reboot your phone

-Enable Roaming
    Settings >> Cellular >> Data Roaming
    Enable 'Data Roaming'

-Sync Account Data
    - Go to Menu on the app and srcoll down until you find the option that reads "Sync Account"
    Hi AlejandraG.

You were right about the APN, I had a spelling mistake. My Nexus 5X is now mostly fuctional - I can make and receive calls as well as receive messages. However I cannot send messages. Any thoughts on what might be wrong
    Jacobs said:

Hi AlejandraG.

You were right about the APN, I had a spelling mistake. My Nexus 5X is now mostly fuctional - I can make and receive calls as well as receive messages. However I cannot send messages. Any thoughts on what might be wrong

In this case, we recommend the next steps:

1) Tap on Settings
    2) Tap on Apps, Applications, or Application Manager
    3)Tap on the FreedomPop Messaging Application
    4)Tap on Force Stop
    5) Tap on Storage
    6) Tap on Clear Data
    7) Tap on the FreedomPop Messaging application
    8.) Make sure the FreedomPop Messaging application is set as the Default Calling/texting application
    9) Try to send a text message to see if the problem has been fixed.