**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Freedom messaging App incoming messages look like chinese charaters

tonynhtonynh FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 3
I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 phone. Today my incoming messages come in looking like chinese characters. My outgoing messages are received fine by the recipients. I reset phone and took out battery and same issue. I have Gboard keyboard set to English. I tried switching to Samsung keyboard and same issue. Help please!

Comments

• rle516rle516 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 11
    Hello.

My friend has an iPhone. When he would text me on my Galaxy Note 2 the texts would come in correctly.

Now I have a Galaxy S6. When he sends me texts all the characters are in Japanese (Maybe another language). If I send him texts he can see them. And he can send me screenshots of his texts. He can also send me emojis. But the text he sends me is not working.
  • Lt_NimLt_Nim FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 11
    Same thing for my S5. I think this has happened before so it might correct itself. I hope anyway.
    The Galaxy S6 is a BYOD Sprint Phone. I don't know if that matters.
  • mcgreggers99mcgreggers99 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 13
    I'm having the same issue as of 10:00 this morning

Galaxy s7 from iphone. If the sender uses emoji's the messages come through fine, regular texts do not.
  • mcgreggers99mcgreggers99 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 13
    I also experienced an issue last week where messages I sent were received as jibberish on the other end. Now it's the reverse problem.
  • Jorge Jorge Posts: 3,375 admin
    Hello everyone, thank you for reaching out and providing us with your samples! Our team is working hard at providing a fix in a timely manner, we appreciate everyone's patience.
  • valleevallee FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 6
    Exact same thing is occurring with my husband's iPhone. It just started today. Very strange. All settings are in English.
  • ctemplinctemplin FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 2
    I also have this problem. Until FP fixes this, here's a workaround:

visit string-functions.com/encodedecode.aspx

paste in your mojibake (chinese and other symbols)

Encode with: utf-32BE

Decode with: utf-8

Works for me.
  • ctemplinctemplin FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 2
    Same here. Until fixed, try this:

string-functions.com/encodedecode.aspx

encode with: UTF-32BE
    decode with: UTF-8

works for me. YMMV
  • David NelsonDavid Nelson FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 18
    Exact same thing is happening on my phone (Samsung S5) today. Incoming texts were fine Wednesday (9/5) and I didn't get any on Thursday, but starting early today all texts that I've gotten are unreadable, unless I knew Chinese maybe.
  • teal4 twoteal4 two FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 29
    Why isn't there a way to revert to the previous functioning version of messaging? Mine just started working again a couple of months ago and now this.
  • AntonioCAntonioC Posts: 123 admin
    vallee said:

Exact same thing is occurring with my husband's iPhone. It just started today. Very strange. All settings are in English.

ctemplin said:

I also have this problem. Until FP fixes this, here's a workaround:

visit string-functions.com/encodedecode.aspx

paste in your mojibake (chinese and other symbols)

Encode with: utf-32BE

Decode with: utf-8

Works for me.

ctemplin said:

Same here. Until fixed, try this:

string-functions.com/encodedecode.aspx

encode with: UTF-32BE
    decode with: UTF-8

works for me. YMMV

Exact same thing is happening on my phone (Samsung S5) today. Incoming texts were fine Wednesday (9/5) and I didn't get any on Thursday, but starting early today all texts that I've gotten are unreadable, unless I knew Chinese maybe.

teal4 two said:

Why isn't there a way to revert to the previous functioning version of messaging? Mine just started working again a couple of months ago and now this.

Hello everyone.

We are sorry for the inconveniences this has caused.

We have received an update from our Development Team indicating that the issue has been fixed.

Could you please confirm if the app, specifically the text messages are working fine by now?
  • Douglas KollmanDouglas Kollman FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 4
    I just sent a text a few minutes ago that was received on the other end as jibberish. Was not Chinese but was not readable.
    My texts are working fine today. Thank you Development Team!
  • Jeremy_WJeremy_W FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 1
    Yesterday, the 7th, I had this Chinese Text on incoming text messages problem on my Galaxy S5 Freedompop phone. Today, the 8th, the problem has gone away. I can now send and receive texts in English with no issues.
  • DiegoGDiegoG Posts: 436 admin

I just sent a text a few minutes ago that was received on the other end as jibberish. Was not Chinese but was not readable.

Hello Douglas,

We have received a new update stating that this should have been fixed by now. Please confirm if the issue persist on your device.
  • l_smithl_smith FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 6
    This had happened to me last week (Sept. 7) and it seemed to go away, but it just happened again (Sept. 15). Luckily I could use the encoder/decoder to figure out what the text said, but seriously? I don't know if the gibberish problem I was having went away for good because I've only been sending short texts out of fear the recipients wouldn't be able to read them.
  • AlejandraGAlejandraG FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 4,779 admin
    l_smith said:

This had happened to me last week (Sept. 7) and it seemed to go away, but it just happened again (Sept. 15). Luckily I could use the encoder/decoder to figure out what the text said, but seriously? I don't know if the gibberish problem I was having went away for good because I've only been sending short texts out of fear the recipients wouldn't be able to read them.

We are sorry to learn that you are still running into this issue.
    This error should have been fixed by now, can you please let us know if you tried any troueblshotting steps beside using your encoder?
  • l_smithl_smith FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 6
    Before Sept. 15, I had tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Messaging app, and several times before and after that I tried syncing account data within the Messaging app. It has not happened since then, but I also haven't been sending/receiving as many texts as I had been when I encountered these errors.
  • AlejandraGAlejandraG FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 4,779 admin
    l_smith said:

Before Sept. 15, I had tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Messaging app, and several times before and after that I tried syncing account data within the Messaging app. It has not happened since then, but I also haven't been sending/receiving as many texts as I had been when I encountered these errors.

It has been fixed in general, but in case you get a text like that again, when you receive your next SMS, please let us know.