Tracking down a data sinkhole

Allen Kurt Allen Kurt Posts: 74FreedomPop Newbie
Hi, Any suggestions on tracking down a data sink. Been an FP customer for a long time and accued some rollover data over time. I've had two episodes where my Nexus 6p (hacked to run Quad core) got "really" warm in the pocket. Shut down and restarted later. Thought nothing of it except I got a notice I burned through 3.23Gb of data since September 16th in 2mb chunks. I thought I had my phone locked down pretty tight and only allowed app updates over Wifi.
I've run months and months without issue. I dug into my account and saw the chunks flying out on the 16th of September and thereafter. Looking at data usage the only thing that shows 3.18Gb usage is FP Messaging with 3.18 gb being used in the background over this time. I upgraded iGO but that shows 4.18Gb in the foreground under Wifi only. The only thing that shows usage of a significant chunk of data is messaging. Very strange. I do have a Talkatone number I can't give up and have to monitor and I had some increased usage last month on it but not to the extent that would allow that much data to leak out. I looked at the Talkatone log and there was just a pittance of calls. Very strange as I haven't done any new apps in ages. Only updates of current apps many of which I have locked down and only turn on when I use and turn off mobile access when I don't. Heck, even my browser app which is not allowed to use mobile data showed 2.87mb foreground data usage. Also I use TT mainly when connected to WiFi and that is supposed to be a freebie as far as FP is concerned
Any suggestions on further sleuthing? When I shut off "Enable usage of mobile data in the background" for FP Messaging I cannot receive calls over the cell network so I have to leave it on. Nonetheless I'll be monitoring daily to see if any 2mb blocks are going out the window. Yes I know Talkatone calls take data but most of my calls are taken and made over wifi which don't count. Plus TT doesn't show much usage. Just 2.95mb over that same time frame.
The only other thing I can think of is a rogue app working in the background I can't track. Thanks Kurt

Comments

• Hi, Any suggestions on tracking down a data sink. Been an FP customer for a long time and accued some rollover data over time. I've had two episodes where my Nexus 6p (hacked to run Quad core) got "really" warm in the pocket. Shut down and restarted later. Thought nothing of it except I got a notice I burned through 3.23Gb of data since September 16th in 2mb chunks. I thought I had my phone locked down pretty tight and only allowed app updates over Wifi.
    I've run months and months without issue. I dug into my account and saw the chunks flying out on the 16th of September and thereafter. Looking at data usage the only thing that shows 3.18Gb usage is FP Messaging with 3.18 gb being used in the background over this time. I upgraded iGO but that shows 4.18Gb in the foreground under Wifi only. The only thing that shows usage of a significant chunk of data is messaging. Very strange. I do have a Talkatone number I can't give up and have to monitor and I had some increased usage last month on it but not to the extent that would allow that much data to leak out. I looked at the Talkatone log and there was just a pittance of calls. Very strange as I haven't done any new apps in ages. Only updates of current apps many of which I have locked down and only turn on when I use and turn off mobile access when I don't. Heck, even my browser app which is not allowed to use mobile data showed 2.87mb foreground data usage. Also I use TT mainly when connected to WiFi and that is supposed to be a freebie as far as FP is concerned
    Any suggestions on further sleuthing? When I shut off "Enable usage of mobile data in the background" for FP Messaging I cannot receive calls over the cell network so I have to leave it on. Nonetheless I'll be monitoring daily to see if any 2mb blocks are going out the window. Yes I know Talkatone calls take data but most of my calls are taken and made over wifi which don't count. Plus TT doesn't show much usage. Just 2.95mb over that same time frame.
    The only other thing I can think of is a rogue app working in the background I can't track. Thanks Kurt

Hi Allen,

Our team is more than willing to help you resolve this issue. Can you please confirm if the email address in your profile is the same as the one associated to the account where the charges were made? Also, please provide the last four digits of the phone number that belongs to the device where you see this data use.
  • Allen Kurt Allen Kurt Posts: 74FreedomPop Newbie
    Yup the ksaves2 address is the same 6530. I'm thinking there is some sort of software issue
    (my fault mind you) I figure I might have to wipe the phone clean and start over. I have a second backup phone I can use so I'm not sol there. Kurt
    I'll be in contact with support in a week or so. I freaking misplaced the phone in some clutter either at work or home on Sunday the 23rd. Man I hate it. Did it before and found the el cheapo junk phone months later.
    I'm monitoring usage and nothing is going in or out. (I had turned it off.) If I can't find it in a week,
    I'm getting a replacement. Yeah, I know the account will be closed and I lose whatever roll-over accrued
    but the last time this happened I was able to get the replacement sim with the same number. Me stupid. I suspect I had it on my cluttered desk and it fell into the trash can. I do not do financial stuff or ordering whatsoever on a cell phone so I don't have any fears other than I fixed the phone up to my liking with a fresh battery that was still showing 100% capacity at a year. Kurt
    Well scratch the above. My lovely spouse found it at home. I'll wipe it and start over. I'm going to going to get rid of some apps. I suspect a speech recognition thing might be dirty. If I have further troubles I'll fire off a message to supper. Kurt
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,553
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    María_M said:

Well scratch the above. My lovely spouse found it at home. I'll wipe it and start over. I'm going to going to get rid of some apps. I suspect a speech recognition thing might be dirty. If I have further troubles I'll fire off a message to supper. Kurt

Thanks for the information, Allen. We were able to confirm several unusual data reports of 2MB around 9/22. We apologize for the inconvenience and have granted 1GB as a compensation to this account.
    Thanks Maria but I was wondering about trying the track down the leak. I put the FP sim into a second Nexis 6p (64Gb) that doesn't have many programs on it and watch to see what transpires. I'm going to wipe my 128Gb 6p clean and put on a newer ROM and see what transpires by putting FP messaging back in and then gradually add apps and see if I can figure out the offending app. I don't do anything purient or financial with my phones. One thing I think I might try is a different browser. The old Jelly browser might be doing something behind my back even though I have mobile data use turned off. Allen "Kurt"
    Ok, I just sent a flurry of texts without pictures attached around 2:56 PM on FP messaging and one text without pictures on Talkatone. My phone is connected to wifi. It shows a 2mb chunk of data being used.
    Any idea why that would be? Why would texts result in a charge with no files attached?
    Like I said before, I'm going to wipe the phone and start from ground zero with minimal apps and see if I can plug this leak. If you look at your records, I've had this sim since May 2018 and the leak started around September 15th. Kurt
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,553
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.