**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Guide to obtaining a SIM

Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2014 in Tips #1
This thread is for those who are going to purchase an LTE phone for BYOD and need to know how to get a SIM for activation. At the current moment, FreedomPop does not sell any SIM cards and you have to supply your own SIM for activation.

Here are some places you can obtain a SIM:

1. If a family member has a Sprint account, please call Sprint worldwide support with their number or email them and ask for a SIM. They will send you one for free, or you can opt for overnight shipping for either $9.99 or $19.99 depending on location.

2. If you have an iPhone, you are able to go to the nearest Apple store and they will give you a SIM card free of charge, regardless of warranty or not. Please remember that you have the iPhone with you or else they could refuse service.

Continued on next post

Comments

• Ali Ali Posts: 6,735FreedomPop Master, Test Role, iOS Master ✭✭✭✭✭
    Continued from last post -

3. If you do not have an iPhone or a Sprint account, you are able to purchase a SIM card from fellow MVNO Ting. You can buy a Nano SIM Here and a Micro SIM Here. Please remember that since Ting sells these SIM cards, they may or may not work with FreedomPop. Most users report that they work 100% fine with service, but regardless your results may very.

4. Some Sprint corporate stores carry SIM cards and you are able to get one by request. Please remember that not all carry them.

Also, please remember that when you will get a SIM card, it has to be a SIMGLW206R and NOT a SIMGLW206C. The C version is not supported and has compatibility issues.
  • Abbey HAbbey H Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    When I went to Sprint store asking to sell/give me a SIM card for Sprint Galaxy Tab 3 (7 inch), they gave me a SIM card with SIMGLT207R. Does anyone know if there is a difference between SIMGLT207R and SIMGLW206R? So far, SIMGLT207R is not getting 4G LTE data (just 3G) on my Tab 3, but that may be b/c my FP phone/tablet account has a different ICCID# from what's on the SIM Card (SIMGLT207R) Sprint store gave me.
    @Abbey H‌ I think that SIM should work, just PM an admin and they should update the stuff on their end. You're getting 3G only because the SIM is not activated but the device is.
  • ???? ??????? ??? Posts: 64FreedomPop Newbie
    Ali said:

Continued from last post -

3. If you do not have an iPhone or a Sprint account, you are able to purchase a SIM card from fellow MVNO Ting. You can buy a Nano SIM Here and a Micro SIM Here. Please remember that since Ting sells these SIM cards, they may or may not work with FreedomPop. Most users report that they work 100% fine with service, but regardless your results may very.

4. Some Sprint corporate stores carry SIM cards and you are able to get one by request. Please remember that not all carry them.

Also, please remember that when you will get a SIM card, it has to be a SIMGLW206R and NOT a SIMGLW206C. The C version is not supported and has compatibility issues.

Will this work with all iPhone models?
    @Ali‌ , thank you for your reply. I asked FP admin to update my ICCID, and they updated, but unfortunately it still didn't work. I ordered a SIM card from Ting (SIMGLW206R), so hopefully when I receive it, it'll get 4G LTE (I may have to ask FP admin to update the number again).
  • KajeKaje Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Call sprint international support and tell them you need a SIM for your Nexus 5 phone that you ordered direct from Google. I think this only works if you have an existing Sprint account (or know someone with a Sprint account that will do it for you). There is no charge for the SIM if you do it this way.

They are available on live chat:
    http://sprintworldwide.custhelp.com/app/chat/chat_launch

Or by phone:
    1-888-226-7212

Sprint stores will not sell you sim cards because phones and tablets you order direct from sprint should come with a sim card if they are required for activation. The exception is the Nexus 5 that you order from Google, so they provide SIM cards free in this circumstance. This is how I activated my galaxy tab 3 with freedompop.
    @kaje, thank you for your idea. I'm going to try this (international support) and see. Thank you!
    @Abbey H‌ I did this with my dads sprint account except I said I have an iPhone 5 that I wanted to activate for future service and I specified the model number and they sent me a SIM the next day :)
  • Krishna AcharKrishna Achar Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Can I request a Sprint SIM card for my Nexus 4 that I bought directly from Google and then activate in FreedonPop?
    @Krishna Achar‌ You can not activate the Nexus 4 with us at the moment and the development team is working on whether or not they will get everything working.
  • Clinton MartinClinton Martin Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    @Ali I just received a used Sprint iPhone 5 that I intend to BYOD with FreedomPop. I checked the existing SIM card inside (used with clean ESN/MEID) to see which type it is. After searching online at photos of your recommended SIMGLW206R/SIMGLW406R SIM cards, I found a certain code located on the white face of the card: 53.04a. My existing SIM card in my device reads: 53.03b. There is no indication on my SIM card to show whether it is R-type or C-type. I don't understand what the 53.0xx code indicates, but I am concerned that the above discrepancy may mean I don't have the necessary SIM card. Could you tell me a little more about my SIM and if I'll need a new one before I activate?
    P.S. Your above recommendations are very helpful. However, the first two are not feasible for me as I don't have a family member with Sprint, nor do I live anywhere near an Apple store. Additionally, I am a bit concerned about your third recommendation (buying a new SIM through Ting) due to UICC SIM card pairing to the iPhone 5. Without the specific UICC card original to the device, how do I connect to 4G LTE?
    Reference about UICC cards: http://support.sprint.com/support/article/About_Removable_UICC_Cards/case-wds02012-20120920-100001
  • jpigottjpigott Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    Is it possible to get a nano sim for a Lumia 950XL it looks like it supports Sprint. It would be great to get FP working on this device.
  • jpigottjpigott Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    Is it possible to get a FP nano sim for a Windows Lumia 950XL dual sim phone. Has anyone tried this?

Second question. On the LG FP devices I have purchased from FreedomPop, do they only work while on wireless networks, I have never made it work off wireless?
  • howardc64howardc64 Posts: 20FreedomPop Newbie
    edited February 2016 #15
    Son got a unlocked Nexus 5X and seeking to activate on FP. Found this link the provided the correct SIM card

https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/comment/66343

Besides ebay/amazon, I found its the C5 SIM card from Ting

https://ting.com/shop/nanoc5
    https://help.ting.com/hc/en-us/articles/205428218-Finding-Your-SIM-Card

Googled and found people can get these Sprint SIM card variations from bestbuy. Got one at local Bestbuy for $10 and both stores near me had them in stock. Here is a link on how to get one. See the 2nd post.

http://slickdeals.net/f/8326353-ringplus-compatible-sprint-sim-simglw426c-card-bestbuy-2-99-b-m-only?p=80056247#post80056247

Activated on FP without any problem :)
    Post edited by howardc64 on
  • egoodsegoods Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Ali said:

2. If you have an iPhone, you are able to go to the nearest Apple store and they will give you a SIM card free of charge, regardless of warranty or not. Please remember that you have the iPhone with you or else they could refuse service.

This is no longer the case... I swung by my local Apple store this evening and they told me they haven't had nano sim cards in stock in quite a while.

Was certainly worth a shot though!
  • abcabc Posts: 189FreedomPop Newbie
    now most apple store are not likely to give a sim card
  • zerostatefreedomzerostatefreedom Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
    This thread is obsolete - FreedomPop now sells sim cards. I spoke to a salesperson @ one of the freedompop sales centers - sorry can't find the link, but the product I purchased is titled: Device: Global SIM Kit - Voice/Text/Data Bundle. They ship you a sim card(s) specific to their services.
  • JJFreedomJJFreedom Posts: 420FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert, FP Flyer, SD Flyers ✭✭✭

This thread is obsolete - FreedomPop now sells sim cards. I spoke to a salesperson @ one of the freedompop sales centers - sorry can't find the link, but the product I purchased is titled: Device: Global SIM Kit - Voice/Text/Data Bundle. They ship you a sim card(s) specific to their services.

@zerostatefreedom - Hello, this thread is about FreedomPop's CDMA USA service, not FreedomPop's GSM Global Service.

There are two types of service being offered. This thread explains how to obtain a SIM card to use FreedomPop service (under the Sprint 4G LTE Network); (Sprint compatible device required). The SIM cards you can purchase are usable on the T-Mobile and AT&T networks (4G HSPA+; GSM-Unlocked device required).
    I usually respond within 24 hours. If you need help, feel free to ask.

Also, to tag me directly, write @JJFreedom. - this way I will know when you are talking to me.