**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Switching SIM to a New Device

Roger ImpeyRoger Impey FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 13
I have been using my FreedomPop SIM in the Netgear Hotspot for over 7 months (both purchased from FreedomPop). Worked fine.
Now I want to switch that SIM to a smartphone. So, I added a phone number and made the switch. However, the service does not work in the phone. Do I need to do something? (I have updated the APN settings). Am I allow to switch devices? If this question has been covered before, please point me to the answer.
Also, I now say a $2.99 charge in the billing section. What is that? Before it was $0.97. Thanks

Answers

• MarcelaSMarcelaS Posts: 183 admin

I have been using my FreedomPop SIM in the Netgear Hotspot for over 7 months (both purchased from FreedomPop). Worked fine.
    Now I want to switch that SIM to a smartphone. So, I added a phone number and made the switch. However, the service does not work in the phone. Do I need to do something? (I have updated the APN settings). Am I allow to switch devices? If this question has been covered before, please point me to the answer.
    Also, I now say a $2.99 charge in the billing section. What is that? Before it was $0.97. Thanks

Hi!

Our team is glad to assist you.

Although the sim card in your hotspot was not designated to be used in a phone, it is a possibility since it does meet the requirements to be used as such. We would like to advise you in advance that the following steps are needed in order to activate the LTE sim card in a new account which will allow you to add a new phone number and use the services as a regular phone service.

You will need to follow some steps in order to check if the SIM in the Netgear Hotspot would work in your smartphone.

* Step 1:

You will need to process the Netgear Hotspot's cancellation. You can do so online through your account or you can simply do so by calling 1(800) 663-1791. Provided below is an article that can also assist with your request.

https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2634/kw/cancel

* Step 2:

Once you have canceled please let me know so I can review your account to make sure it was properly done.

*Step 3:

Go to www.freedompop.com/activate and get it activated under your desired email address account and be sure to include the ICCID numbers printed on the sim. Please note that you'll be charged $10.99 for activation if the sim card is activated under a Free plan.

*Step 4:

Once the sim card is activated you'll be able to add a new phone number to the device
    If you have further questions, let us know and we will gladly assist you.

NOTE: Please keep in mind that we can't guarantee that this process will go through since the sim card came from a hotspot however we are more than willing to assist all the way through.
  • Roger ImpeyRoger Impey FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 13
    I only wanted to use the SIM in the phone for a few days. I still need it in the Hotspot. I will just put it back in the Netgear. I hope it will work as before.
    OK, switched it back to the Hotspot. It's connected. However, what is the $2.99 monthly charge. Can I get that removed?

I only wanted to use the SIM in the phone for a few days. I still need it in the Hotspot. I will just put it back in the Netgear. I hope it will work as before.

OK, switched it back to the Hotspot. It's connected. However, what is the $2.99 monthly charge. Can I get that removed?

Hi!

Unfortunately to be able to activate and use the device in a phone is necessary to cancel the Hospot first.

Can you please confirm if the $2.99 is associated with the Hotspot service? or is it associated with another account? We are unable to find a $2.99 charge in your current account.
    Before I tried to switch I had a Recurring Bill Amount of $0.97, now it's $2.99. I have no plan or services defined.
    Yes, it's on the Hotspot account. It's the only account I have.
  • cherylynstankocherylynstanko FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 1
    hi i havent been able to acyivate my new sim card keep getting message problem with your devices imei please call. but cant get any help i would appreciate any advice is it my phone? im trying to activate a windows 8 nokia lumia 620.please help
    edited November 29 #9

Before I tried to switch I had a Recurring Bill Amount of $0.97, now it's $2.99. I have no plan or services defined.

Yes, it's on the Hotspot account. It's the only account I have.

Hello,

After reviewing your account, I verified that the $2.99 charge was an Administrative Fee that FreedomPop recently implemented to ensure we are in accord with all major carriers. These fees are to recover and help defray costs incurred for increasing customer support services, offset higher payment processing fees, and other expenses related to fraudulent usage monitoring on our networks. It is a monthly fee that is non-refundable and cannot be waived.

If you wish to view additional references, you may review our Service Plan, Equipment and Payment Terms (Section - Taxes and Surcharges) for reference provided in the link below:

https://www.freedompop.com/service_plan_terms.htm.

hi i havent been able to acyivate my new sim card keep getting message problem with your devices imei please call. but cant get any help i would appreciate any advice is it my phone? im trying to activate a windows 8 nokia lumia 620.please help

Hi!

Unfortunately, our calling application is only available on Android or iOS devices, and this application is required for talk and text. We do not support Windows phones at this time.

You can consider purchasing a FreedomPop Phone instead please click here
  • thunderdan114thunderdan114 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 1
    I have a tracfone j7 crown and when I got the sim from you guys I had a tracfone j7 sky pro, can I reactivate the sim card and use it in my new j7?
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @thunderdan114 - If both phones are unlocked GSM phones, then, yes you should be able to activate that SIM. Android 4.1+ or iOS 8.2+ is other requirement. The activation costs may be significantly lower if you use a different email address to activate with. Be sure you are logged OUT of freedompop.com before you start. Go here to activate https://www.freedompop.com/activate

With GSM SIMs you can simply move them by power off the phone and remove to another phone that is off. Then power on, install app if not already there, then press Sync Account button in app. Now your SIM has been moved to another phone.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
    edited December 12 #13

I have a tracfone j7 crown and when I got the sim from you guys I had a tracfone j7 sky pro, can I reactivate the sim card and use it in my new j7?

Hi!

Our team is glad to assist you.

Thank you very much for the information provided by Rich Sias, we appreciated your support.

thunderdan114, Please provide the last four digits of the ICCID number printed on the FreedomPop SIM and the last 4 digits of the phone number you would like to attach to it so we can take a closer look at it.