**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Can't activate phone

Carl MaltzmanCarl Maltzman FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 38
edited December 3 in Getting Started #1
I just received my SIM card, purchased from FreedomPop.
I placed it in my LG G3, also purchased from FreedomPop.
Following directions, I:
1. Dialed ##72786# on the phone, using the key pad
2. I then went in to settings>Wireless Networks>More>Mobile Networks in order to change the APN. However, there is no listing there for the APN
Note that on my start up screen (the one you have the swipe to get to the homepage), there is a notice "No SIM card-Sprint"
I did a factory reset, and repeated the above steps, but still no luck.
What am I doing wrong? I thought this should be easy, as both the SIM and the phone are from FreedomPop.
Thank you.
Post edited by Carl Maltzman on

Answers

• AlejandraGAlejandraG FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 4,181 admin

I just received my SIM card, purchased from FreedomPop.
    I placed it in my LG G3, also purchased from FreedomPop.
    Following directions, I:
    1. Dialed ##72786# on the phone, using the key pad
    2. I then went in to settings>Wireless Networks>More>Mobile Networks in order to change the APN. However, there is no listing there for the APN
    Note that on my start up screen (the one you have the swipe to get to the homepage), there is a notice "No SIM card-Sprint"
    I did a factory reset, and repeated the above steps, but still no luck.
    What am I doing wrong? I thought this should be easy, as both the SIM and the phone are from FreedomPop.
    Thank you.

Hello Carl. Please be aware that our devices and LTE sims are not compatible with each other, they are a different type of lines for a different technology.
    Our devices are CDMA locked to Sprint and the sim they use serves as an antenna.
    The LTE sim is for unlocked GSM devices which is different than the CDMA technology.

In this instance, you need to purchase a GSM unlocked device for the sim and activate the FP device as a CDMA line with us.
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Carl Maltzman - You may have set aside the Sprint SIM that may have been in the LG G3 phone before. Please put it back into the phone. If it has an active account, it should get resynced with the Sync button.
    If the LG G3 has been deactivated, you can activate it here https://www.freedompop.com/activate
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • Carl MaltzmanCarl Maltzman FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 38
    Thank you for the answer, but I don't understand.
    You are saying that the SIM cards you sell are not compatible with the phones you sell, as the SIM cards are LTE, and the phones you sell are CDMA?
    OK, I just educated myself on CDMA, GSM, and LTE. I see that on the envelope the SIM came in, it says LTE. I understand that the phone is CDMA.
    Do you sell SIM cards that are CDMA? Can I remove the SIM card from my FreedomPop Hydro and put it in my newer FreedomPop phone?
    Thank you.
    Thank you.
    My phone shows as "activated" on the FreedomPop website.
    I replaced the Sprint SIM card. I do not see a "Sync" button. A message does come up, however, that says "Activation Step Required. Contact customer support to activate"
    A message has also popped up, with the Sprint SIM card inserted, "SIM card removed. The mobile 4G network will be unavailable until you insert a valid SIM card."

Thank you.
    My phone shows as "activated" on the FreedomPop website.
    I replaced the Sprint SIM card. I do not see a "Sync" button. A message does come up, however, that says "Activation Step Required. Contact customer support to activate"

Carl would you be so kind as to confirm the MEID number for the device as well as the Sprint sim ICCID number on it's back?
    Thank you.
    The MEID is 35259606404498
    The ICCID is 89011200000523611498
    According to Sprint's specification sheet, the phone handles CDMA, GSM, and LTE. Perhaps if I unlock it the FreedomPop LTE SIM will work?

Thank you.
    The MEID is 35259606404498
    The ICCID is 89011200000523611498
    According to Sprint's specification sheet, the phone handles CDMA, GSM, and LTE. Perhaps if I unlock it the FreedomPop LTE SIM will work?

It seems the device is already under a CDMA device account but this account is dormant, we can help you reactivate it.
    However, if you need or want to use the LTE sim with an LTE line instead, you will need to purchase a compatible unlocked GSM device for it, as we cannot unlock the LG device for GSM use.
    It is important to understand that no matter what type of phone service you have, you will need a SIM card inside of your device. If you have GSM service, the SIM card will give your device it’s calling and texting capabilities. If you have CDMA service, the SIM card will give your device the ability to connect to the LTE network.
    Thank you!
    How do I activate this phone? I don't need to use the LTE SIM card. If I can activate my LG G3 that would be great, as I don't use the cell phone a lot. As you can see, I already have another FreedomPop account, and that phone is my main cell phone; I obtained the newer LG G3 to run apps my "old" Kyocera Hydra can't. I can then deactivate the LTE SIM card account before the trial period is over and I have to pay for 6 months service that I can not use.
    Thank you again--in summary, please tell me how I can activate my LG G3.

Thank you!
    How do I activate this phone? I don't need to use the LTE SIM card. If I can activate my LG G3 that would be great, as I don't use the cell phone a lot. As you can see, I already have another FreedomPop account, and that phone is my main cell phone; I obtained the newer LG G3 to run apps my "old" Kyocera Hydra can't. I can then deactivate the LTE SIM card account before the trial period is over and I have to pay for 6 months service that I can not use.
    Thank you again--in summary, please tell me how I can activate my LG G3.

Yes, please, if not planning to use the sim make sure to cancel that account as soon as possible otherwise we will not be able to refund the semi-annual plan charge it was purchased from.

To reactivate your LG account, visit my.freedompop.com and log in, as soon as you are in, you will see the option to reactivate and update the billing information online.
    Thank you for all your help.
    I do not see a reactivate option when I log in.
    Can I buy another FreedomPop phone with an included plan and then transfer that phone's SIM card to my LG?
    Thank you again.

Thank you for all your help.
    I do not see a reactivate option when I log in.
    Can I buy another FreedomPop phone with an included plan and then transfer that phone's SIM card to my LG?
    Thank you again.

No, most of our phones are CDMA the same kind not compatible with our sims and we have a few GSM but they come with a new LTE freedompop sim, the device is not sold alone.

To reactivate the LG 2 account you need to log in my.freedompop.com but on a PC, preferably using a private or incognito window in Chrome or Firefox, you will find the activate button on the main page.
    If you do not see it, please forward a screenshot of what you see when you log in online.
    I meant buying a CDMA phone from FreedomPop with an activated account, and removing the SIM card and placing it in my LG G3.

I meant buying a CDMA phone from FreedomPop with an activated account, and removing the SIM card and placing it in my LG G3.

Mr. Maltzman the LG you have and its technology is not compatible with our GSM LTE sim because your device is CDMA locked.
    If you buy another CDMA with Freedompop, we can switch the device with the account that holds the LG right now but the LTE FP sim will not work on any other device unless it's GSM unlocked.

If you want to use the LTE sim and plan purchased for it, we recommend getting a GSM unlocked device, running Android 4.1 or iOS 8.2+ preferably from a third party.
    Thank you.
    I did not make clear, I don't care about the LTE SIM card I purchased, and will cancel that account.
    I'd just like to get the LG working to supplement my other FreedomPop phone, which works fine, but the OS can't be updated anymore.
    So if I were to buy a FreedomPop phone on sale (I saw an offer for $20) I believe, and could switch out the SIM card to the LG, that would work for me.
    Thanks again for your patient help. Have a great weekend.

Thank you.
    I did not make clear, I don't care about the LTE SIM card I purchased, and will cancel that account.
    I'd just like to get the LG working to supplement my other FreedomPop phone, which works fine, but the OS can't be updated anymore.
    So if I were to buy a FreedomPop phone on sale (I saw an offer for $20) I believe, and could switch out the SIM card to the LG, that would work for me.
    Thanks again for your patient help. Have a great weekend.

But not having an accessory sim on the LG, like the one a new FP device would bring, may not be the reason behind the LG working.

Before you go ahead and order another CDMA locked to Sprint device to swap out the sim and place it on the LG, visit my.freedompop.com but on a PC, preferably using a private or incognito window in Chrome or Firefox, to find the activate button on the main page for the LG.
    If you do not see it, please forward a screenshot of what you see when you log in online.

We will take it to step by step to see what the issue is to reactivate the LG
    The LG works, in that it works with WiFi. However, it of course can't make phone calls or text messages.
    The phone has a Sprint SIM card. It has the SIMGLW226R, which is the update for the original SIMGLW216R. But please note that when the phone is turned on, a message appears that says "insert valid SIM card for operation."

The LG works, in that it works with WiFi. However, it of course can't make phone calls or text messages.

The phone has a Sprint SIM card. It has the SIMGLW226R, which is the update for the original SIMGLW216R. But please note that when the phone is turned on, a message appears that says "insert valid SIM card for operation."

Carl your KG device is not under that email, it's actually under email ([email protected]). Log in to the correct email address for the LG line to reactivate the dormant account from a PC and update billing information to get it working.
    After you reactivate the account, we can proceed with troubleshooting steps.
    That is not an email that I have created. It's not my email, so I don't have the password to access it.

That is not an email that I have created. It's not my email, so I don't have the password to access it.

We can offer you to deactivate it from that email address so you can activate it under your own account and email at the activation portal online.
    Thank you very much! That would be great!
    edited December 14 #25

Thank you very much! That would be great!

We were able to release the device from the previous account. Please visit my.freedompop.com/activate on an incognito window on your PC and enter the LG device's MEID number.
This discussion has been closed.