**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Only make calls on wifi

rdw323rdw323 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 27
I am able to make calls and when connected to Wifi. When i'm off Wifi, the phone is not picking any mobile data at all.

I tried the APN settings, re-installing the app, and even resetting the phone but it is still not working. I have good signal when off wifi, the bars are high and connected to AT&T network. It tried even to reset the carrier using the Motorola instructions. I was never emailed a msl number. Plus when I put in the reset numbers no prtompts come up to enter a number. I have a photon g5 plus.

When looking at sim information it does not look as if my phone is active on the data Network.

Answers

• AlejandraGAlejandraG FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 4,779 admin
    rdw323 said:

I am able to make calls and when connected to Wifi. When i'm off Wifi, the phone is not picking any mobile data at all.

I tried the APN settings, re-installing the app, and even resetting the phone but it is still not working. I have good signal when off wifi, the bars are high and connected to AT&T network. It tried even to reset the carrier using the Motorola instructions. I was never emailed a msl number. Plus when I put in the reset numbers no prtompts come up to enter a number. I have a photon g5 plus.

When looking at sim information it does not look as if my phone is active on the data Network.

Let us see how we can help.
    Can you please confirm the line in question is the LTE sim under the email address you use for this forum?
  • rdw323rdw323 FreedomPop Newbie Posts: 27
    Yes the line is the email I am using here in this forum.
    rdw323 said:

Yes the line is the email I am using here in this forum.

Robert is this for the LTE sim line under the email you use for this forum?
    The IMEI provided is not pulling up any information.
    How can I reset it and change the IMEI this was for a different phone than I originally input it in for
    rdw323 said:

How can I reset it and change the IMEI this was for a different phone than I originally input it in for

At the time we are locating the account for the line you are only able to call using wifi. Can you confirm the phone number please?
    607-862-8212
    rdw323 said:

607-862-8212

The number does belong to an LTE sim line, which is one of the types of lines we offer. These sims need an unlocked GSM device running Android 4.1 or iOS 8.2+. For these devices, you can edit the APN but if you are using another type of device with that sim, like a CDMA device, it will not be compatible.
    The carrier reset steps are not for unlocked GSM devices, rather than for CDMA locked to Sprint devices.
    I have a Moto 5g plus with has both options for gsm device and cdma
    I am connected mobile network but I am wondering if I disabled moble network (for data) if I am able to still make calls with the phone
    rdw323 said:

I have a Moto 5g plus with has both options for gsm device and cdma

rdw323 said:

I am connected mobile network but I am wondering if I disabled moble network (for data) if I am able to still make calls with the phone

Can you please confirm the MEID number?
    rdw323 said:

It seems the MEID is not registered as a CDMA at the time on Sprint's database, making it an unlocked GSM device. We are unable to convert it from unlocked to CDMA again nor we could find any indication of this device is capable of running both technologies at the same time.
    Right now, it is classified as GSM unlocked device which you cannot reset the carrier for. As mentioned before, these use our LTE sims and have another troubleshooting.

Please follow these steps to ensure the system is set up correctly:

-Download or update to the latest version of the FreedomPop Text and Messaging app, available a the Play Store or App Store

Android Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.freedompop.phone&hl=en

-Set APN

Tap on Settings
    Tap on Tethering & Networks
    Tap on Mobile Networks
    Make sure Mobile Data is checked
    Make sure Data Roaming is checked
    Tap on Access Point Names
    Tap the three dots in the top right corner, to open APN settings
    Tap the " New APN" button to add a custom APN
    Under the APN field, type in " fp.com.attz" .
    Under the name field, enter "FreedomPop". Leave the other sections blank.
    Go back to the previous menu, and you should see the new APN setting available.
    Select it.
    Reboot your phone

-Enable Roaming
    Settings >> Cellular >> Data Roaming
    Enable 'Data Roaming'

-Sync Account Data
    - Go to Menu on the app and srcoll down until you find the option that reads "Sync Account". Log in with phone number instead of email address.

For iOS
    iOS link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/freedompop-free-voice-text/id835399970?mt=8

-Set APN:
    Using ONLY the Safari browser, visit https://www.freedompop.com/iosapn on your phone.
    Select U.S. as your country.
    Select LTE SIM as your product.
    Allow the certificate file to be downloaded. You may get a cellular Settings warning. Go ahead and tap on Install in the top right corner.
    Tap Done once the Install is complete.

Next, you need to download or update the FreedomPop application. This app is required for calling and texting. For the direct download go to:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/freedompop-calling-texting/id835399970?mt=8

-Sync Account Data
    Log out of the FP messaging app and log back in.

Just to confirm do I need to have data enabled on the phone to make calls. Also would this data being used to make calls be used against the data under the plan?
    rdw323 said:

Just to confirm do I need to have data enabled on the phone to make calls. Also would this data being used to make calls be used against the data under the plan?

Yes, all the time because we operate as an MVNO carrier and use VOIP communications, using data instead of the cellular signal to communicate calls and texts.
    Even though you will use data for your texts and calls, it will not be deducted from your account's monthly data bank. Instead, you will have a separate bank for the number of calls and texts you get per period.
    You can monitor usage for each of them by logging in freedompop.com.
    One last question. I first signed up for the one GB per month and unlimited but canelled it due to it not working just wondering if I can go back to that plan. It's no longer listed as an option for me to choose from the plan list.
    rdw323 said:

One last question. I first signed up for the one GB per month and unlimited but canelled it due to it not working just wondering if I can go back to that plan. It's no longer listed as an option for me to choose from the plan list.

We are afraid that the plans and prices as well as promotions obtained upon signup, can change over time. The only plans available for your LTE line at the time are these:

I apologize for the additional question. But I have been using the service and it appears that when I am making a phone call it is constantly doing 2mb every minute or 1mb a minute when a phone call is being placed. Was wondering if there is an issue with data usage or just wondering what is the cause of this. I looked at other forums and other users had similar issues.

Another question was once an error message said re-establish sim card. Just wondering why this occurred. I reset the mobile connection in addition to resetting the phone and everything is working. Just wondering if this is a common occurrence.
    rdw323 said:

I apologize for the additional question. But I have been using the service and it appears that when I am making a phone call it is constantly doing 2mb every minute or 1mb a minute when a phone call is being placed. Was wondering if there is an issue with data usage or just wondering what is the cause of this. I looked at other forums and other users had similar issues.

Another question was once an error message said re-establish sim card. Just wondering why this occurred. I reset the mobile connection in addition to resetting the phone and everything is working. Just wondering if this is a common occurrence.

The 2 MB use is being monitored over your phone's usage app or our website? It has to be our website and we need a specific time and date on the report to check in our en it is not a bug and that causes the data use.
    About the error message, unless you kept a screenshot, we are afraid we will be unable to tell. The good thing is that the device is working now but in case you get the error message again, please let us know.
    Calls

1/14/19 7:34 19 minutes
    1/14/19 6:05 4 minutes
    1/14/19 5:23 5 minutes
    1/11/2019 6:28 4 minutes
    1/9/2019 6:05 18 minutes

These are the calls that are greater than 1 minute that after 2 minutes data started collecting or being charged every minute for 2mb.
    rdw323 said:

Calls

1/14/19 7:34 19 minutes
    1/14/19 6:05 4 minutes
    1/14/19 5:23 5 minutes
    1/11/2019 6:28 4 minutes
    1/9/2019 6:05 18 minutes

These are the calls that are greater than 1 minute that after 2 minutes data started collecting or being charged every minute for 2mb.

On your phone, you will see calls debit data because your device is not set up to monitor data used for calls separately with pure data use, unlike your monitor usage app.
    Can you please go into your profile at my.freedompop.com and look under data use history and provide a screenshot of the data activities we need to check.
    Only if you use our site and provide a screenshot of it, we can be on the same page for us to investigate and determine if the data is accurate.

Attached is your request
    rdw323 said:

Attached is your request

Ok but which date and time from the data history? We need to be as specific as we can on that,m it is not possible all your data is bogusly being used.
    We need to know the date and time your device should have been on wifi but data was spent
    Any call I am making it appears that I am getting hit for 2mb minute hence is the list. I was not on wifi for these calls. Look at 1/14/2019 from 1936 to 1955 I have 2mb every 2 minutes being charged . The same goes for every other call. I gave you a list earlier of the longer times and start if the call and the entire list. Happened with other calls as well.
    rdw323 said:

Any call I am making it appears that I am getting hit for 2mb minute hence is the list. I was not on wifi for these calls. Look at 1/14/2019 from 1936 to 1955 I have 2mb every 2 minutes being charged . The same goes for every other call. I gave you a list earlier of the longer times and start if the call and the entire list. Happened with other calls as well.

We understand that because the time for the data deduction and the time the calls are made are similar, you are under the impression that is what is causing data to be used but that is not the case.
    We did review the data use and were able to find no bug which means something besides that is spending data.
    Please visit this link for more information about background data use as well as a way to disable it for other apps:
    https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3456/kw/usage