**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Swap Phone Device Issue

appleceoappleceo Posts: 15FreedomPop Newbie
I am switching phone from iphone 6 plus to iphone xs max. When I put the already activated sim card from the old device in the new device, I got an error message saying that "the sim card has locked. Please power Cycle the device." The new device is unlocked. Could you please help?

Answers

• AlejandraGAlejandraG Posts: 5,813FreedomPop Newbie admin
    appleceo said:

I am switching phone from iphone 6 plus to iphone xs max. When I put the already activated sim card from the old device in the new device, I got an error message saying that "the sim card has locked. Please power Cycle the device." The new device is unlocked. Could you please help?

Hi! The sim card exchanged is a sim from Sprint or from Freedompop? Ig the previous device is a CDMA, exchanging sims may not work as they operate as different technologies.
  • appleceoappleceo Posts: 15FreedomPop Newbie
    It is a sim card from Freedompop but run on Spring network. The new phone (iphone xs max) should support both GSM and CDMA carriers.
    appleceo said:

It is a sim card from Freedompop but run on Spring network. The new phone (iphone xs max) should support both GSM and CDMA carriers.

We need some clarification. It's important to understand that no matter what type of phone service you have, you will need a SIM card inside of your device. If you have GSM service, the SIM card will give your device it’s calling and texting capabilities. If you have CDMA service, the SIM card will give your device the ability to connect to the LTE network.

Freedompop has two different types of lines, CDMA locked to Sprint devices that use a Sprint sim as an antenna or LTE sims for unlocked GMS devices but a CDMA device is not compatible with a GSM LTE sim.

A device is one or the other but we need to determine what your old device line is and if changing the sim will work.
    Can you please confirm the ICCID number of the Freedompop LTE sim you have?
    I checked with Apple. They are saying the new iPhone doesn’t work with the any of the old sprint SIM card. They gave me a new sprint SIM card that can be read by the new phone. Could you please do a sim swap? Thanks!

Old SIM ICCID: 89011201000325497285
    New SIM ICCID: 89312530000042666224
    Last 4 digits of phone number: 5858
    appleceo said:

I checked with Apple. They are saying the new iPhone doesn’t work with the any of the old sprint SIM card. They gave me a new sprint SIM card that can be read by the new phone. Could you please do a sim swap? Thanks!

Last 4 digits of phone number: 5858

But on our end, we still need to confirm the technology for both the old and new Iphones. Can you please provide us with both devices MEID numbers?
    Both old and new phones can run on both GSM and CDMA network. Both old and new SIM cards are sprint version of SIM cards run on CDMA network. Does that answer your question? It will be a SIM card swap by adding my account information to the new sim card.
    appleceo said:

Both old and new phones can run on both GSM and CDMA network. Both old and new SIM cards are sprint version of SIM cards run on CDMA network. Does that answer your question? It will be a SIM card swap by adding my account information to the new sim card.

The only piece of information we can use in our end to try to confirm the correct process for this swap, is with obtaining the MEID for both devices.
    New device MEID: 357271098629252
    Old device: 35205007200669

Thanks!
    appleceo said:

New device MEID: 357271098629252
    Old device: 35205007200669

Thanks!

We ran MEID 35205007200669 for the old device and were able to determine you are using it as a CDMA.
    The other MEID for the new device 357271098629252 is not a CDMA locked to Sprint, as checked in Sprint's database, so we will not be able to swap them.
    As informed before, if the new device is a GSM, changing sims from the old device to the new one, will not work. Instead, you need to purchase a Freedompop LTE sim to use with the new device and line, so we can later transfer your existing number but a swap is not possible as we can confirm the devices are not the same technology.
    Your database information is incorrect. The Iphone XS Max can run on both GSM and CDMA. I have a sprint sim card working in the new phone as we speak. All you need to do is to swap the sim card from the old sprint sim to the new sprint sim. Please just do a sim swap using the ICCID number below. Is it really difficult to do on your end? Please just do a sim swap. Thanks!

I also checked on Sprint website with my MEID number, it says my phone works on their system. Please see the screenshot attached. Thanks!
    appleceo said:

Your database information is incorrect. The Iphone XS Max can run on both GSM and CDMA. I have a sprint sim card working in the new phone as we speak. All you need to do is to swap the sim card from the old sprint sim to the new sprint sim. Please just do a sim swap using the ICCID number below. Is it really difficult to do on your end? Please just do a sim swap. Thanks!

appleceo said:

I also checked on Sprint website with my MEID number, it says my phone works on their system. Please see the screenshot attached. Thanks!

Having a Sprint sim, does not guarantee at any point that it's the same accessory sim that the Sprint CDMA devices use.

As we had mentioned, no matter what type of phone service you have, you will need a SIM card inside of your device. If you have GSM service, the SIM card will give your device it’s calling and texting capabilities. If you have CDMA service, the SIM card will give your device the ability to connect to the LTE network.

We do not offer as part of the type of lines you can get with us LTE Sprint sims, our GSM LTE sims use AT&T. The only Sprint product we manage, like your old device, are CDMA locked to Sprint devices so just changing the sim on our system will not work, as they are not the same type of sim that CDMA and GSM devices use.

You need to purchase a Freedompop LTE sim to use with the new device and line, so we can later transfer your existing number but a swap is not possible as we can confirm the devices are not the same technology.

We cannot add the device to the CDMA Sprint database either as we do not own it. The fact that a device can be capable of one or both technologies does not guarantee it is ready for CDMA use or if it's on the database required to function as a CDMA. IF you want to try to add it to the CDMA Sprint's database, you will need to speak to Sprint directly as we don't have control over that.
    So if I purchase a FreedomPop LTE sim, you can transfer all my current account and plan to the new sim, correct?
    appleceo said:

So if I purchase a FreedomPop LTE sim, you can transfer all my current account and plan to the new sim, correct?

No, if you get an LTE sim we can only transfer the phone number from your old account as they are not the same type of line nor technology to be able to swap the new LTE sim under the old account. That can only happen in between same types of devices and accounts (CDMA with CDMA or GSM sim with GSM sim).
    If you want to fully swap a new device to your old account, you need to get a compatible CDMA locked to Sprint device as your old device used to be.