**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

new sim card for new used sprint phone

tnt4himtnt4him Posts: 37FreedomPop Newbie
I bought a new sim card for my new used sprint phone to replace my old phone. I gave all the info to freedompop but they said I need to register my sim card with sprint. I tried and sprint said I need to set up an active account to register the sim care. but I already have that through freedompop. does this mean that if you buy a sprint phone with no sim card you must buy the the freedompop sim card because freedompop has already registered that sim number with sprint? since, obviously they have an active account.

Comments

• AlejandraGAlejandraG Posts: 5,164FreedomPop Newbie admin
    tnt4him said:

I bought a new sim card for my new used sprint phone to replace my old phone. I gave all the info to freedompop but they said I need to register my sim card with sprint. I tried and sprint said I need to set up an active account to register the sim care. but I already have that through freedompop. does this mean that if you buy a sprint phone with no sim card you must buy the the freedompop sim card because freedompop has already registered that sim number with sprint? since, obviously they have an active account.

Hi! We need some clarification.
    First of all, the new sim you purchased, is a Freedompop LTE GSM sim? Or an accessory sim from Sprint?

The new device you purchased, is CDMA locked to Sprint? Please provide us the MEID number to check on this.
  • tnt4himtnt4him Posts: 37FreedomPop Newbie
    MEID is 355989085100696 It is Sprint with a clean ESN. The SIM I bought was for Sprint but because it did not work I bought another one (will have it next week). This one is a SPRINT BOOST VIRGIN MOBILE SIMOLW416C 01.03 I explained my circumstances to the seller about Freedompop and they seem to understand and said this one should work with Freedompop. As for LTE GSM I don't know. The phone is locked to Sprint.
    tnt4him said:

MEID is 355989085100696 It is Sprint with a clean ESN. The SIM I bought was for Sprint but because it did not work I bought another one (will have it next week). This one is a SPRINT BOOST VIRGIN MOBILE SIMOLW416C 01.03 I explained my circumstances to the seller about Freedompop and they seem to understand and said this one should work with Freedompop. As for LTE GSM I don't know. The phone is locked to Sprint.

Hi! Yes, thanks for clarifying.
    In this case, you need to purchase the accessory sim with Sprint from your Freedompop device.
    Once the new accessory sim arrives, contact us to be able to add it to your account and set up the service with the Freedompop phone you already have.
    Not sure exactly what you mean. Purchase the accessory sim with Sprint or do you mean from Sprint? And from my freedompop device or do you mean for my freedompop device? Or is the new sim I purchase the actual accessory sim? Whats the difference between a accessory sim and a LTE GSM sim?
    tnt4him said:

Not sure exactly what you mean. Purchase the accessory sim with Sprint or do you mean from Sprint? And from my freedompop device or do you mean for my freedompop device? Or is the new sim I purchase the actual accessory sim? Whats the difference between a accessory sim and a LTE GSM sim?

Purchase it from Sprint. To get a Sprint SIM card, reach out to the Sprint customer service line by calling: 888-211-4727. You can also purchase a Sprint SIM card online, like the one available here: https://m.sprint.com/shop/mobile/shop/accessory/ao/accessory_details.jsp?accSKU=105500049
    You will need to acquire a Sprint SIM card and put it into your phone. After you acquire a Sprint SIM card, contact us back to assign the SIM card number to your account. This will get your service running over the 4G network.

It's important to understand that no matter what type of phone service you have, you will need a SIM card inside of your device. If you have GSM service, the SIM card will give your device it’s calling and texting capabilities. If you have CDMA service, the SIM card will give your device the ability to connect to the LTE network.

When you do not have an accessory sim on a CDMA device, you may not have access to the LTE network. Your device may operate very slowly or you may not be able to use the service at all.

Now before we continue, I ran the device's MEID number on the Sprint's CDMA database and was unable to find 355989085100696.
    Its possible the device is available and with a clean ESN, but it could be working as an unlocked GSM with a Sprint GSM sim.
    Did you purchase the device with Sprint?
    If you did, we recommend confirming the device's technology with them first.
    I did not purchase it from Sprint but from a private party. I checked with Sprint before the purchase to make sure it had a clean ESN and was indeed locked to Sprint. However, it did not have the sim card and I have no experience buying one. So, after buying the wrong one the seller sold me the right one saying it should work. I wonder if the seller of the phone kept the sim card to upgrade to their new phone and the reason you can't find the MEID on the data base is because it is no longer associated with the ICCID of the sim card? The link for the sim card looks just like the one I purchased. I submitted a request to replace my old phone with the new one using the same account and phone number but the response I have from them with the problem with the sim card is that I will have to do a BYOD to upgrade. I have 4 freedompop phones and have upgraded over the years with phones not purchased from freedompop but with their sim cards and never had to BYOD before. Once I have this correct sim card can you assign the sim card to the phone and then they can hopefully do the upgrade on the same existing account?
    the new sprint sim is 89011201002021240605 01.03
    I contacted Sprint and they said that would put in a ticket to add the device to the CDMA data base through their back office and not 100% sure it will process. Takes 2-3 days.
    tnt4him said:

I did not purchase it from Sprint but from a private party. I checked with Sprint before the purchase to make sure it had a clean ESN and was indeed locked to Sprint. However, it did not have the sim card and I have no experience buying one. So, after buying the wrong one the seller sold me the right one saying it should work. I wonder if the seller of the phone kept the sim card to upgrade to their new phone and the reason you can't find the MEID on the data base is because it is no longer associated with the ICCID of the sim card? The link for the sim card looks just like the one I purchased. I submitted a request to replace my old phone with the new one using the same account and phone number but the response I have from them with the problem with the sim card is that I will have to do a BYOD to upgrade. I have 4 freedompop phones and have upgraded over the years with phones not purchased from freedompop but with their sim cards and never had to BYOD before. Once I have this correct sim card can you assign the sim card to the phone and then they can hopefully do the upgrade on the same existing account?

tnt4him said:

the new sprint sim is 89011201002021240605 01.03

tnt4him said:

I contacted Sprint and they said that would put in a ticket to add the device to the CDMA data base through their back office and not 100% sure it will process. Takes 2-3 days.

Please be aware that you need to have Sprint add your device to their CDMA data first, so we can later activate it over the BYOD funnel and the check about the Sprint accessory sim.
    Right now, it is essential for Sprint to give you the green light after your device has been added to their database.
    I contacted Sprint again via chat and phone with tech support and they said that Freedompop needs to submit a request ticket to have the MEID added to the Sprint CDMA database. I cannot do it because I do not have a Sprint account but Freedompop does. The other thing they said is to contact the previous owner and ask them to unlock the phone, this way the CDMA database is no longer an issue according to Sprint. I found in the phone email and phone number contact info so I have requested help and now waiting for a response. if no response and Freedompop cannot help then I guess i am back to square one returning the phone and buying another one.
    tnt4him said:

I contacted Sprint again via chat and phone with tech support and they said that Freedompop needs to submit a request ticket to have the MEID added to the Sprint CDMA database. I cannot do it because I do not have a Sprint account but Freedompop does. The other thing they said is to contact the previous owner and ask them to unlock the phone, this way the CDMA database is no longer an issue according to Sprint. I found in the phone email and phone number contact info so I have requested help and now waiting for a response. if no response and Freedompop cannot help then I guess i am back to square one returning the phone and buying another one.

We do apologize, we would be unable to submit an add to a database request for the device. We would need to wait for the response from the previous owner.
    I was told by Sprint to take the phone to a Sprint store so that they could resku it to attach the name back to the brand as they said and I just did and the salesperson said the phone should be good to go now. Please could you check to see if this phone is now ready to be activated?
    tnt4him said:

I was told by Sprint to take the phone to a Sprint store so that they could resku it to attach the name back to the brand as they said and I just did and the salesperson said the phone should be good to go now. Please could you check to see if this phone is now ready to be activated?

The MEID number 355989085100696 was run under Sprint's CDMA database again and it is still not showing.
    They said it may be immediately or later. Can you check again this evening?
    It may take up to 24 hours.
    edited January 17 #17
    tnt4him said:

It may take up to 24 hours.

Tried again today, but still Unable to retrieve device info from Sprint: Unrecognized serial number: 355989085100696.
    Just checked with Sprint:
    Maggie A.: As I see the Phone Serial Number has not been added as of now. It will be added soon as the Request has been raised. I apologize for the delay in this.
    Try again after 12:30pm, that would be 24 hours which they say this request should be completed.
    tnt4him said:

Just checked with Sprint:
    Maggie A.: As I see the Phone Serial Number has not been added as of now. It will be added soon as the Request has been raised. I apologize for the delay in this.
    Try again after 12:30pm, that would be 24 hours which they say this request should be completed.

Tried again this morning, and it is still not under the CDMA data base from Sprint.
    Can you check again please ? its been 48 hours, plenty of time.
    tnt4him said:

Can you check again please ? its been 48 hours, plenty of time.

I have checked again, still not there, please contact Sprint to followup.
    Ok, just talked to the agent and they resubmitted and got a successful confirmation back. Can you check one last time?
    tnt4him said:

Ok, just talked to the agent and they resubmitted and got a successful confirmation back. Can you check one last time?

Tried again this morning and MEID 355989085100696 is still not there.
    Oh for crying out loud! They even sent me a screen shot of the MEID successfully added. I called sprint tech support again and they admitted it is not added even though I had it done twice last week. This time they gave me IT Ticket SB5861067 and another promise it will be added within 24 hours. We'll see.
    they say that it is added and currently on the cdma database, however they could not find the IT ticket created last night and i asked them to verify that it is finally added. Please check again if you will.
    tnt4him said:

they say that it is added and currently on the cdma database, however they could not find the IT ticket created last night and i asked them to verify that it is finally added. Please check again if you will.

Tried again this afternoon, still getting this message: Unable to retrieve device info from Sprint: Unrecognized serial number: 355989085100696
This discussion has been closed.