**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Why was I charged $20 to downgrade a SIM Card?

davebreeddavebreed Posts: 24FreedomPop Newbie
I just received a SIM Card I ordered November 12, 2018.

I did not receive an email confirmation of the purchase, however, when I checked my account at the end of the month I noticed that there was a new device and phone number on the account -- namely, the SIM Card I had ordered. I also noticed that a charge of about $150 would be made to my credit card. I tried to downgrade the account, but that option was blocked due to a mandatory $20 top up charge to cover useage for a SIM Card I had not received. I tried to cancel the account, but that option was blocked. I contacted support for help and to assign the SIM card to my current account (and phone number). They said they couldn't do that, contrary to previous advice from support about how to get a GSM SIM for my phone. To avoid charges, I successfully downgraded to what I was led to believe was the free basic plan, and paid the mandatory top-up charge of $20, but then was informed that I would be charged over fifty some dollars for the Basic Plan every 6 months. I then tried to cancel the account. Evidently, by downgrading, it was possible to cancel the account. I then asked support for a refund of the $20, but was told that was not possible. I asked for a credit for the $20 be issued to my main account, but I was told they could only transfer to the top-up. I felt like Yossarian in Catch 22.

I read the Community post "Why did you charge me?" The relevant section reads as follows:

"When you sign up for service we often offer a free trial for one of our plans or some of our services. Upon the end of your trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service."

"Please Note: Your service begins when your product ships."

"This is so you have minimal setup steps, and you can begin using your device right out of the box. If you are not ready to use the device or SIM card, and you want to avoid charges, make sure to downgrade your service before your billing cycle renews."

Because I never received a confirmation email for my order, I was never given an order number or a shipping date, both of which were required to find out information about my order and why I had not received it.

Why was I charged $20 to downgrade and cancel the account for a SIM Card I did not receive until two months after I ordered it? And how do I get the $20 refunded?

Best Answer

Answers

• CarlosGCarlosG Posts: 1,797 admin
    davebreed said:

I just received a SIM Card I ordered November 12, 2018.

I did not receive an email confirmation of the purchase, however, when I checked my account at the end of the month I noticed that there was a new device and phone number on the account -- namely, the SIM Card I had ordered. I also noticed that a charge of about $150 would be made to my credit card. I tried to downgrade the account, but that option was blocked due to a mandatory $20 top up charge to cover useage for a SIM Card I had not received. I tried to cancel the account, but that option was blocked. I contacted support for help and to assign the SIM card to my current account (and phone number). They said they couldn't do that, contrary to previous advice from support about how to get a GSM SIM for my phone. To avoid charges, I successfully downgraded to what I was led to believe was the free basic plan, and paid the mandatory top-up charge of $20, but then was informed that I would be charged over fifty some dollars for the Basic Plan every 6 months. I then tried to cancel the account. Evidently, by downgrading, it was possible to cancel the account. I then asked support for a refund of the $20, but was told that was not possible. I asked for a credit for the $20 be issued to my main account, but I was told they could only transfer to the top-up. I felt like Yossarian in Catch 22.

I read the Community post "Why did you charge me?" The relevant section reads as follows:

"When you sign up for service we often offer a free trial for one of our plans or some of our services. Upon the end of your trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service."

"Please Note: Your service begins when your product ships."

"This is so you have minimal setup steps, and you can begin using your device right out of the box. If you are not ready to use the device or SIM card, and you want to avoid charges, make sure to downgrade your service before your billing cycle renews."

Because I never received a confirmation email for my order, I was never given an order number or a shipping date, both of which were required to find out information about my order and why I had not received it.

Why was I charged $20 to downgrade and cancel the account for a SIM Card I did not receive until two months after I ordered it? And how do I get the $20 refunded?

Hello,

Our team is more than willing to help you resolve this issue. Can you please confirm if the email address in your profile is the same as the one associated to the account where the $20 charge appears?
  • davebreeddavebreed Posts: 24FreedomPop Newbie
    Thanks for your reply, CarlosG. -- Yes, the email in my profile here is the same as my FreedomPop account.
    CarlosG, thank you for your assistance.
    davebreed said:

CarlosG, thank you for your assistance.

I'm happy to be of assistance. Have a great week!
    Background: About 2 years ago, I spent a long time getting the correct Sprint nanoSIM to work with my new Nexus 6 so I could use it with my FreedomPop account. When I finally got it to work, I discovered that it rarely established a data connection unless I was standing next to a Sprint cell tower. A short time later, FP offered GSM SIM cards. I asked customer service if it was possible to change to the GSM SIM. The agent said yes, I should order the gsm sim and when it arrived to write customer service to make the change in my account. Unfortunately, my Nexus 6 was stolen and I bought a Lenovo Vibe C to replace it.

Recently, I finally got a GSM sim kit. I then requested customer service to change my account to use the new sim. The agent said that I had to activate it and he would switch the phone number. I said I wanted my current account, because I have rollover data. He said my account was a CDMA account, but he could move the data. I activated the sim again (see previous discussion) I was charged $10 for top-up. He said that was a mandstory charge and he could not change it. I was unable to add the Pro 500MB (4G/3G) package, because he said it was no longer available. I could not turn off the auto top-up function without incurring a $6.99 monthly charge. That is a rip-off. My current account has always had the auto top-up function turned off, because that was the default setting.

I want my gsm sim assigned to my account, or, if that is not possible, an identical account created with everything the same as in my current account, including the same start date, the same monthly renewal day, calls, texts, data, plan components, services, and settings. Is this possible?

Additionally, please request a refund of the $10 top-up charge. It will take forever to go over the 10+ GB data in my account.

Thank you.
    davebreed said:

Background: About 2 years ago, I spent a long time getting the correct Sprint nanoSIM to work with my new Nexus 6 so I could use it with my FreedomPop account. When I finally got it to work, I discovered that it rarely established a data connection unless I was standing next to a Sprint cell tower. A short time later, FP offered GSM SIM cards. I asked customer service if it was possible to change to the GSM SIM. The agent said yes, I should order the gsm sim and when it arrived to write customer service to make the change in my account. Unfortunately, my Nexus 6 was stolen and I bought a Lenovo Vibe C to replace it.

Recently, I finally got a GSM sim kit. I then requested customer service to change my account to use the new sim. The agent said that I had to activate it and he would switch the phone number. I said I wanted my current account, because I have rollover data. He said my account was a CDMA account, but he could move the data. I activated the sim again (see previous discussion) I was charged $10 for top-up. He said that was a mandstory charge and he could not change it. I was unable to add the Pro 500MB (4G/3G) package, because he said it was no longer available. I could not turn off the auto top-up function without incurring a $6.99 monthly charge. That is a rip-off. My current account has always had the auto top-up function turned off, because that was the default setting.

I want my gsm sim assigned to my account, or, if that is not possible, an identical account created with everything the same as in my current account, including the same start date, the same monthly renewal day, calls, texts, data, plan components, services, and settings. Is this possible?

Additionally, please request a refund of the $10 top-up charge. It will take forever to go over the 10+ GB data in my account.

Thank you.

Hi,

The reason we are unable to swap the old device with the new SIM card is because of both devices' settings. The account was set up as a CDMA account which simply won't work with a GSM SIM card as the settings are different and this makes it impossible to transfer or change the new account's plan to the old one. We can, however, transfer the phone number, credit balance and data from one account to the other.

Please confirm this phone number's last four digits so we can take a closer look at it.
    Primary number 0711 - Temporary SIM card number 2117
    Thank you for your help.
    davebreed said:

Primary number 0711 - Temporary SIM card number 2117
    Thank you for your help.

We have successfully swapped the phone numbers mentioned above between their accounts. Please turn both devices off and back on and let us know if they work properly.
    I don't have two devices -- only one device.
    I have two SIM cards - a Sprint nanoSIM card and the GSM SIM card.
    Because I am in currently in Romania neither SIM card can be used.
    I DO NOT want two accounts -- ONLY one account for my one device.

I want that one account to be as follows:
    - Loyalty Bonus Data 5Pct Monthly US$1.00 (not sure what this is)
    - Basic 200 Free Voice, Free Text, Free 4G/3G Data US$0.00
    - Pro 500MB (4G/3G) Nationwide 4G/3G with 500MB US$0.00
    - Global Free 100 Talk: 100 Minutes US$0.00
    - FreedomPop Premium Plus ( US$7.99 ) US$6.99
    and renews at the beginning of the month.
    Please reverse the swap IMMEDIATELY! I did not authorize a swap. When the problems with the account associated with the GSM SIM card have been satisfactorily resolved, I will give further instructions. Thank you.
    davebreed said:

Please reverse the swap IMMEDIATELY! I did not authorize a swap. When the problems with the account associated with the GSM SIM card have been satisfactorily resolved, I will give further instructions. Thank you.

We have set the phone numbers back to where they were. Let us know if you have any other questions and we'll gladly help.
    Above you wrote: "The reason we are unable to swap the old device with the new SIM card is because of both devices' settings. The account was set up as a CDMA account which simply won't work with a GSM SIM card as the settings are different and this makes it impossible to transfer or change the new account's plan to the old one. We can, however, transfer the phone number, credit balance and data from one account to the other."

I do not understand why FP cannot change the settings in the "CDMA account" to those that are required for use with the GSM SIM card. Based upon 45+ years work in the computer field, it is a matter of changing informaiton in certain fields of the account record.

If, for various political reasons, those changes cannot be made, then please make changes to the GSM account record so that it is the same as the CDMA account record:
    PLAN
    - Basic 200 Free Voice, Free Text, Free 4G/3G Data --- US$0.00
    - Pro 500MB (4G/3G) Nationwide 4G/3G with 500MB --- US$0.00
    - Global Free 100 Talk: 100 Minutes --- US$0.00
    SERVICE
    The account should renew at the beginning of the month (the CDMA account renews on the 4th).
    Transfer the 10+GB data from the CDMA account.
    AFTER, the account is setup exactly like that, let me know.
    THEN, I will authorize you to transfer the 0711 phone number to the GSM account and delete the CDMA account.

I hope I have made my requests and the desired outcome clear.
    Please let me know if you have any questions.
    Thank you. - David
    davebreed said:

Above you wrote: "The reason we are unable to swap the old device with the new SIM card is because of both devices' settings. The account was set up as a CDMA account which simply won't work with a GSM SIM card as the settings are different and this makes it impossible to transfer or change the new account's plan to the old one. We can, however, transfer the phone number, credit balance and data from one account to the other."

I do not understand why FP cannot change the settings in the "CDMA account" to those that are required for use with the GSM SIM card. Based upon 45+ years work in the computer field, it is a matter of changing informaiton in certain fields of the account record.

If, for various political reasons, those changes cannot be made, then please make changes to the GSM account record so that it is the same as the CDMA account record:
    PLAN
    - Basic 200 Free Voice, Free Text, Free 4G/3G Data --- US$0.00
    - Pro 500MB (4G/3G) Nationwide 4G/3G with 500MB --- US$0.00
    - Global Free 100 Talk: 100 Minutes --- US$0.00
    SERVICE
    The account should renew at the beginning of the month (the CDMA account renews on the 4th).
    Transfer the 10+GB data from the CDMA account.
    AFTER, the account is setup exactly like that, let me know.
    THEN, I will authorize you to transfer the 0711 phone number to the GSM account and delete the CDMA account.

I hope I have made my requests and the desired outcome clear.
    Please let me know if you have any questions.
    Thank you. - David

Hi David,

We are unable to exchange account settings as company policy does not allow it. I was advised on this after escalating your case last Friday and for this, I apologize.
    Hi Carlos,
    Thank you for the information about company policy.

I was sick so I cancelled the GSM account, however, I did not receive a credit for the $10.00 top-up credit remaining unused on the account.

Today (March 1), I am activating the GSM SIM card so that the billing cycle starts on the 1st day of the month.
    (1) Can you please swap telephone numbers between the CDMA and the GSM accounts today?
    (2) And, please transfer the 10+GB data accumulation from the CDMA account to the GSM account?

When those changes have been made, I will cancel the CDMA account before it renews on the 4th of March.

Thank you for your assistance.
    David
    edited March 1 #17
    The number assigned to the GSM account is (xxx) xxx-3604.
    Post edited by CarlosG on
    davebreed said:

The number assigned to the GSM account is (xxx) xxx-3604.

We have escalated your case and will have the data rolled over to the LTE SIM card soon. It can take up to 48 hours for the data to be transferred.

Can you confirm that the numbers you want to be swapped are 3604 and 0711?
    Thank you Carlos.
    Yes, that is correct. After the swap, 3604 will be associated with the CDMA account; and 0711 will be associated with the LTE SIM card account.

I checked the current status of the data -- 10.28 GB as of today.
    davebreed said:

Thank you Carlos.
    Yes, that is correct. After the swap, 3604 will be associated with the CDMA account; and 0711 will be associated with the LTE SIM card account.

I checked the current status of the data -- 10.28 GB as of today.

The phone numbers have been successfully swapped. Please turn both devices off and back on and let us know if they work properly.
    I don't have two devices, only one device and two SIM cards. :)
    I am still in Poland, so I do not know if the new LTE SIM card will work until I get to the US this weekend.
    Thank you for moving the rollover data to LTE SIM account.
    Now you can cancel the CDMA account, and and please request a refund for the $12.79 charge placed on my Discover card last week; and for the $10.00 top-up charge/credit that was not refunded when I canceled the SIM card in mid-February.
    Thanks much for your assistance.
    davebreed said:

I don't have two devices, only one device and two SIM cards. :)
    I am still in Poland, so I do not know if the new LTE SIM card will work until I get to the US this weekend.
    Thank you for moving the rollover data to LTE SIM account.
    Now you can cancel the CDMA account, and and please request a refund for the $12.79 charge placed on my Discover card last week; and for the $10.00 top-up charge/credit that was not refunded when I canceled the SIM card in mid-February.
    Thanks much for your assistance.

Hi,

What device was the $12.79 associated with? Please know that we cannot refund credit that was added over 30 days ago because of FreedomPop's 30-day refund policy however we can transfer the credit to another Active account.
This discussion has been closed.