**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

How to Buy a New Phone That Will (for Sure) Work with FreedomPop

lornarunnerlornarunner Posts: 5FreedomPop Newbie
I bought a refurbished Moto E (2nd gen) through FreedomPop about two years ago and it has worked fine. Now, it is not holding a charge very well, and I would like to buy a new phone. I was thinking about a Moto E5 with twice the storage of my old phone. How and where can I buy a new one that I know for SURE will work with FreedomPop? A lot of them say "unlocked", but in reality they will not work with FreedomPop (or Sprint). A lot of people have been burned buying phones that say "unlocked", only later to learn they will only work with T-Mobile or AT&T networks. The selection of phones for sale on the FreedomPop web site is very limited. Is there a marketplace outside of FreedomPop where I can buy a phone that will for SURE work with FreedomPop? I am a novice at this, if you can't tell. Thank you for your help.

Comments

• AntonioCAntonioC Posts: 143 admin

I bought a refurbished Moto E (2nd gen) through FreedomPop about two years ago and it has worked fine. Now, it is not holding a charge very well, and I would like to buy a new phone. I was thinking about a Moto E5 with twice the storage of my old phone. How and where can I buy a new one that I know for SURE will work with FreedomPop? A lot of them say "unlocked", but in reality they will not work with FreedomPop (or Sprint). A lot of people have been burned buying phones that say "unlocked", only later to learn they will only work with T-Mobile or AT&T networks. The selection of phones for sale on the FreedomPop web site is very limited. Is there a marketplace outside of FreedomPop where I can buy a phone that will for SURE work with FreedomPop? I am a novice at this, if you can't tell. Thank you for your help.

Hello lornarunner,

That's correct, you either have a GSM unlocked device or a Sprint locked one. Both of them will work just fine on our network. You can order our products here.

In case you'd like to use our BYOD program your device must be a Sprint locked phone. This means you have an Android or iOS device that you’ve purchased from Sprint and would like to use with our service.

Usually, devices are locked when you purchase them on a contract, directly from a major carrier (like Sprint). After 2 years your contract is over, but the device is still locked to the carrier.

Since the contract has expired, you can contact the carrier to have them unlock the phone, if you prefer to use the phone with another carrier.

Since the contract is expired, you can also cancel your account with that carrier, if you like.

But for BYOD activation with FreedomPop, we will need for that device to remain locked to the Sprint network. The device must also be free of any existing plans or service. This means you do not currently have a service plan with Sprint or any other carrier like Ting or Straight Talk.