Exchange the Photon 4G WiMax to 3G/4G device?

Scott TemplerScott Templer Posts: 2FreedomPop Newbie
Do you have any way to exchange or upgrade the Photon 4G WiMax to the 3G/4G Overdrive Pro? Isn't WiMax being discontinued in favor of LTE

Comments

• Hello @Scott Templer‌ ! Thanks for reaching out to us and we apologize for the late response. Wimax is being discontinued late 2015 and we will ensure that our customers have an easy transition once we reach this fork in the road. However, we do have an LTE upgrade program available to customers. To take advantage of this we highly recommend speaking with a member of our sales department.

In order to receive the most accurate information, latest promotional offers and for any other sales questions please contact us directly 9am-5pm PST, 7 days a week at (877) 848-2810.

Our friendly and knowledgeable sales agents look forward to your call. Thank you for choosing FreedomPop and have a Freedom-tastic day!
  • DUANE VANKAMPENDUANE VANKAMPEN Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    3G/4G Overdrive Pro, I thought this was Wimax unit?
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,338FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DUANE VANKAMPEN‌ it is WiMAX. Then it is also 3G and the Photon is not.
    If LTE isn't great in your area, yet, you may want to wait until closer to Nov '15.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,338FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    JasmineS said:

Hello @Scott Templer‌ In order to receive the most accurate information, latest promotional offers and for any other sales questions please contact us directly 9am-5pm PST, 7 days a week at (877) 848-2810.

Ok, so I took time to call. 12 seconds wait for sales person. Wow!
    Asked about upgrade Photon to any LTE device.
    Ans: no up grade is available at this time.
    Volunteer: the WiMAX towers are NOT closing down, it's a lie and **** that you've been told
    Me: wow amazing! So, WiMAX is staying active well into 2016 and beyond ?
    Ans: absolutely.
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rich Sias ( LastDay: 16th )
    Are you serious? You know my feeling about the wimax conspiracy...

Great Tips and Trick, User Guides and How to's in my Signature-(Take a Peek)

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

Not me, @njfulwider5‌
    The serious one was the FP sales person answering the sales dept 888 number. It was a paraphrase rather than direct quote.
  • njfulwider5njfulwider5 Posts: 10,413FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, Test Role, FreedomPop Expert, FreedomFan, Android Master , FP Flyer ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for bursting my Bubble...>>>>I don't have a single LTE device yet...and when I get them...We have great LTE service, but NO Spark!!!!!!!

Hope you find any post I have created helpful. Please look for my How to-s(Downgrading-100% Free) and (How to use the FreedomPop Community), or my Guides on FreedomPop Devices(Phones) and (Hotspots). Here is one on (FreedomPop Plans). Here is one on all (FreedomPop Apps). He is one on(Traveling with your GSM Global Sim?) or Common Question about the (GSM Global Sim). You can PM me anytime by clicking this link here njfulwider5. Than click the BUTTON with the (Small Envelope), to left of the word (MESSAGE). I will do my best help. Welcome to FreedomPop

According to Sprints map Spark is all around me for at least 3 miles in all directions ( at max) LTE is maxed out for 10+ miles in all directions. So how much signal does Victory register on my street ? NADA the big zero. Sprint said I have it, but do I really have it ? Nope !
    but don't you live next to one of the towers like me? Could be that triangle effect? or did you call it a cone???

• djinksdjinks Posts: 1,270FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    There are apps which may give better information. Its signal information is taken from actual phones that are sharing their signal information (crowd-based sourcing). I have not found any that distinguish Sprint LTE vs WIMAX
    See:
    http://www.sensorly.com
    http://opensignal.com
    http://coveragemapper.com
    Nice links djinks, but 2 of them say I have no 4g coverage in my area and Hardly any 3g/2g...But my phone begs to differ...have you tried the android app?..

If I go a block to 3 blocks further away from the tower...My 4g is rock solid, and my 3g is OK...at home my 3g is rock solid and my 4g is ok, and sometime iffy...

or maybe its vise vera...need to check, its been awhile, I mainly use my iphone...with wifi,

I like those maps by the way...pretty cool :)

For my area, the sensorly.com map seems the most accurate, but I think they all lack sufficient data points. We need to all pile on and use one of them to make the maps more complete.
  • Brian McPhersonBrian McPherson Posts: 1,365FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    I already have the sensorly.com app on my Victory, so when I use it away from home and out my WiFi range, I add to it.
    Email: [email protected]
    [email protected]

For better help in real time, "Skype" is the best help I can offer. My Skype User is "freewill95". You can add me to your contact list and in the message box, type "freedompop user".

but don't you live next to one of the towers like me? Could be that triangle effect? or did you call it a cone???

I'm about 3,000 feet from tower. What's real strange about it? All the antennas sprouting from tall pole, disappeared in 2013. The pole is naked, no antennas. I suspect a political battle tween Sprint and the township.
    edited October 2014 #16
    I mentioned earlier that none of the apps display WIMAX specific coverage. I was wrong. I was basing my opinion on the web browser maps. If you use the Sensorly app, you can switch between LTE and Wimax coverage maps.
  • John CastelloJohn Castello Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    JasmineS said:

Hello @Scott Templer‌ Wimax is being discontinued late 2015 and we will ensure that our customers have an easy transition once we reach this fork in the road. However, we do have an LTE upgrade program available to customers. To take advantage of this we highly recommend speaking with a member of our sales department.

In order to receive the most accurate information, latest promotional offers and for any other sales questions please contact us directly 9am-5pm PST, 7 days a week at (877) 848-2810.

I just spent 40 minutes speaking with four different departments, all of which told me that WiMAX is being discontinued at the end of 2014 and that is why I am no longer able to get service on my Photon 4G. Obviously, I'm confused. There seems to be a lot of information regarding this issue that does not match up.

Could I please get a clarification as to when WiMAX is being discontinued, and whether that would be the cause for my Photon 4G not receiving 4G signal as of today?
  • John CastelloJohn Castello Posts: 0FreedomPop Newbie
    Hello @Scott Templer‌ Wimax is being discontinued late 2015 and we will ensure that our customers have an easy transition once we reach this fork in the road. However, we do have an LTE upgrade program available to customers. To take advantage of this we highly recommend speaking with a member of our sales department.

I just spent 40 minutes speaking with four different departments, all of which told me that WiMAX is being discontinued at the end of 2014 and that is why I am no longer able to get service on my Photon 4G. Obviously, I'm confused. There seems to be a lot of information regarding this issue that does not match up.

Could I please get a clarification as to when WiMAX is being discontinued, and whether that would be the cause for my Photon 4G not receiving 4G signal as of today?
    It may be a maintenance thing 1-3 days, then magically comes back. Oooorrr it's the beginning of the shutdown. Seems a bit early, though.
    If there is a Sprint store near you, stop in, checking with your hotspot for 4G signal outside of the store. Ask them about the missing WiMAX. They should tell you which case it is.