**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Bring your own phone to the sprint cdma free plan?

mk92735mk92735 Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
I bought a new, unlocked phone without a cellular service plan. It's a motorola G6 which is compatible LTE and with with sprint CDMA and also GSM. I would like to use it with the freedompop free plan on the sprint CDMA network because that allows 500MB of data per month while the GSM plan only allows 200MB of data. But I don't know how to get a sim card. The freedompop sim cards seem to be for the GSM network they only have 200MB of data with the free plan.

How do I gat a sim card so I can use my own phone on the sprint CDMA network with 500MB of data per month?

(I tried a sim card from Straight Talk Wireless that is supposed to be compatible with the sprint CDMA network but it doesn't work when I try to activate it on the freedompop web site. I set the phone to use LTE/CDMA network and I set the apn to fp.com.attz, is there anything else I could try? )

Answers

  • CarlosGCarlosG Posts: 2,155 admin
    mk92735 said:

    I bought a new, unlocked phone without a cellular service plan. It's a motorola G6 which is compatible LTE and with with sprint CDMA and also GSM. I would like to use it with the freedompop free plan on the sprint CDMA network because that allows 500MB of data per month while the GSM plan only allows 200MB of data. But I don't know how to get a sim card. The freedompop sim cards seem to be for the GSM network they only have 200MB of data with the free plan.

    How do I gat a sim card so I can use my own phone on the sprint CDMA network with 500MB of data per month?

    (I tried a sim card from Straight Talk Wireless that is supposed to be compatible with the sprint CDMA network but it doesn't work when I try to activate it on the freedompop web site. I set the phone to use LTE/CDMA network and I set the apn to fp.com.attz, is there anything else I could try? )

    Hello,

    Our team will gladly help you with this issue. Before we move forward it is important to understand that there are only two types of device configurations: CDMA and GSM. However, regardless of the device's configuration, both types require a SIM card.

    Our GSM services require one of our LTE SIM cards, which you can purchase on our website or any of our online retailers.

    Once you have the LTE SIM, all you need to do is place the SIM card in the device and reconfigure it's APN settings. Once it's set up, you should be able to use the services right away.

    Unlike GSM phones, CDMA phones need to be "Activated" in our system. Simply placing a SIM card in this device will not work. The device's ID information is placed in our system so the device can allow a connection with the towers we use for service.

    A CDMA device also requires a SIM card however FreedomPop does not sell these SIM cards. CDMA devices require a SIM card that is only compatible with each specific device and can only be purchased at Sprint. If your device doesn't already have one, simply go to Sprint and ask for a SIM compatible with that device.

    Once the device has it's SIM, you'll be able to activate the device by following these instructions.

    Let us know if you have any questions at all and we'll gladly help.
  • mk92735mk92735 Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    I called freedompop this morning and the sales rep told me that sprint cdma is no longer supported by freedompop. Is that right?


    Thanks
  • CarlosGCarlosG Posts: 2,155 admin
    mk92735 said:

    I called freedompop this morning and the sales rep told me that sprint cdma is no longer supported by freedompop. Is that right?


    Thanks

    Hi,

    This is not correct. We do still offer the option to activate a device through our BYOD activations page.

    In order to receive the most accurate information, latest promotional offers and for any other sales questions please contact our sales department directly from 9am-5pm PST, any day of the week at (877) 848-2810.
  • mk92735mk92735 Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    I called the sprint store near my home and they said it is impossible to get a sprint sim card without a sprint plan. I also called sprint customer service and they would not sell me a sim card without a plan either. The sprint store referred me to Best Buy but the would also not sell me a sim card without a plan.

    How do I get a sprint sim card for a motorola g6?

    The freedompop web site referred me to phone number 800 617 5017. Is that the right number?





  • mk92735mk92735 Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    edited March 13 #6
    I went to the Sprint web site and went to their bring your own phone page. I entered the IMEI number of my phone and it told me the part number of the SIM I needed.

    https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/bring-your-phone-to-sprint.html

    Then I went on ebay and I can buy the part there.
    Post edited by mk92735 on
  • CarlosGCarlosG Posts: 2,155 admin
    edited March 13 #7
    mk92735 said:

    I went to the Sprint web site and went to their bring your own phone page. I entered the IMEI number of my phone and it told me the part number of the SIM I needed.

    https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/bring-your-phone-to-sprint.html

    Then I went on ebay and I can buy the part there.

    Hi,

    Place click on this link if you are having problems with purchasing a SIM card for your device.
  • mk92735mk92735 Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    edited March 15 #8
    CarlosG,

    I tried the link you suggested:
    https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3453/kw/needs a sim

    It has a link to sprint.com to buy a sim card but when I followed the link and tried to buy the card I got an error (can't find page) when I tried to check out. Is there another way for freedompop customers to get a sprint sim card?
    Post edited by mk92735 on
  • mk92735mk92735 Posts: 7FreedomPop Newbie
    One more question ... . I am hoping to get a sprint sim working but I also ordered a freedompop sim. I am wondering if can I have a free plan from freedompop on each network CDMA and GSM? Or will I have to cancel the freedompop sim account if I can get a sprint sim account working and want to use that one?

    Thanks
  • CarlosGCarlosG Posts: 2,155 admin
    mk92735 said:

    CarlosG,

    I tried the link you suggested:
    https://support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3453/kw/needs a sim

    It has a link to sprint.com to buy a sim card but when I followrf the link and tried to buy the card I got an error (can't find page) when I tried to check out. Is there another way for freedompop customers to get a sprint sim card?

    Hi,

    It should be as easy as going to your nearest Sprint store and giving them the SIM card's ID and paying for the SIM without any problems. If this doesn't work, you can purchase a SIM card from many online retailers that sell SIM cards. Let us know what type of device you are attempting to activate so we could provide you with the correct SIM needed.
Sign In or Register to comment.