**Reminder** When you sign up for FreedomPop service we often offer a free trial experience for one of our plans or add-on services. Upon the end of your Trial, you will incur the regular charge for that plan or service. Please take a look at our Community post for more information regarding your recent purchase and what to expect: http://bit.ly/2xFTGWY

Multiple Mifi 4082 issues

mmkatzmmkatz Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
1. Mifi not working in USB-only mode

Sometimes I use my Mifi with my laptop over USB. If I turn on the Mifi and then plug it into my computer, the computer connects over USB but the Wifi is still on.This causes the Mifi's battery to drain faster than my laptop can charge it.

If I try to plug the Mifi into the computer first and then turn it on, it connects to the computer over USB and assigns a local IP address, and, as desired, it does not turn on the Wifi. However, it also does not turn on the 3G/4G radios so it never actually connects to the Internet. It says "3G Searching" on the status page, but it never connects - there is also 4G coverage where I am, but it doesn't find that either.

Is this the expected behavior? I know that I should be able to get this to work somehow!

Comments

• Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,124FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    My Photon can be set to have wifi set off. Maybe the mifi can be set off in similar way ?
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • Brian McPhersonBrian McPherson Posts: 1,365FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    The WiFi is to be turn off before you connect to USB, also in order for the USB to work, the driver much be install, this should be done for you. But your computer for some reason block the driver, then you have a problem. There issue sometime with Microsoft and the driver because Microsoft see it as unknown source and will not download it. There a setting somewhere on the computer that will allow software from unknown source to be downloaded but I do not remember where it is.
    Email: [email protected]
    [email protected]

For better help in real time, "Skype" is the best help I can offer. My Skype User is "freewill95". You can add me to your contact list and in the message box, type "freedompop user".
  • mmkatzmmkatz Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    Brian,
    Your comment about the Wifi needing to be off before you connect with USB is completely wrong. In my testing, the USB and the Wifi both work at the same time - I can use my laptop over USB and my tablet over Wifi at the same time with no trouble.

My computer does recognize the Mifi - that's also not the problem.

The problem is that the 3G/4G radio does not turn on unless the Wifi is also on. I am trying to figure out how to get the 3G/4G to turn on but to have the Wifi stay off.

Rich,
    There is a setting on the Mifi to disable Wifi when USB is connected, but it has a major bug. It means that you also can't use the Mifi while it is plugged in to a charger because the Mifi does not seem to differentiate between a charger and a computer.
  • mmkatzmmkatz Posts: 1FreedomPop Newbie
    (The original post box was not long enough for the rest of my question when I originally posted, so here it is.)

2. Wifi Reconnection

When I use the Mifi's Wifi with any of my devices (laptop, Nexus 7, iPod Touch), if I get close to the edge of the Wifi signal and then come back closer to the Mifi, a second "connected device" dot appears on the Mifi's screen and whichever device it is loses its IP address and its Internet connection.

What can I do about this? There is one place I go that I put the Mifi next to a Window (because that is the only place with coverage) and I need to move around the room. However, I can't keep rebooting the Mifi every time that my Wifi signal drops out!

Might all of these issues have something to do with the fact that the software on my Mifi is Comcast "Xfinity" branded and that it is an old version? It says that the software version is "2.1.32", and when I do a search online, I see that the Sprint-branded version has a "2.1.56" available.
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,124FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014 #6
    mmkatz said:

NOTE: as I indicated above I pay for 3g legacy access.
    ? It says that the software version is "2.1.32", and when I do a search online, I see that the Sprint-branded version has a "2.1.56" available.

I'd vote for this option to 'fix' next.
    Hey @Vanessa‌ , @K_Ber‌ , @Jorge M ‌ or other admin, is the a way to have @mmkatz‌ update his firmware to see if that fixes this issue?
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • Brian McPhersonBrian McPherson Posts: 1,365FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭
    @mmkatz‌ , yes, you need to get that comcast firmware off and get sprint firmware in it. Then do a PRL and Profile on WiFi or 4G.
    Email: [email protected]
    [email protected]

For better help in real time, "Skype" is the best help I can offer. My Skype User is "freewill95". You can add me to your contact list and in the message box, type "freedompop user".