Moving grandfathered phone plan to a hotspot

Netherprovinc3Netherprovinc3 Posts: 34FreedomPop Newbie
Right now I have a free phone plan with Freedompop. The plan that I have is a lot better than the ones currently being offered. I am thinking about changing my device to a mobile hotspot instead. Will I still be able to retain the GB/mo limit that I have on my current plan if I do this?

Answers

• Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,282FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Netherprovinc3 - I think you have an older account with a phone and asking if you setup the phone to act as a hot spot ? Some phones support this function. Some others were 'doctored' by the initial carrier to have the hot spot function removed from the Menu in the phone. Then there are the AT&T unlocked phones that are hard coded to connect to AT&T and not FreedomPop. Try your phone and see which you have. I can search out how to fix if one of the two I described that don't work straight from FreedomPop.
    Yes, the MB/mo that you are subscribed to, will remain the same. The FREE plan on a Sprint phone is 500 MB/mo and doesn't take very many YouTube videos to gobble up the entire 500MB.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • Netherprovinc3Netherprovinc3 Posts: 34FreedomPop Newbie

@Netherprovinc3 - I think you have an older account with a phone and asking if you setup the phone to act as a hot spot ? Some phones support this function. Some others were 'doctored' by the initial carrier to have the hot spot function removed from the Menu in the phone. Then there are the AT&T unlocked phones that are hard coded to connect to AT&T and not FreedomPop. Try your phone and see which you have. I can search out how to fix if one of the two I described that don't work straight from FreedomPop.
    Yes, the MB/mo that you are subscribed to, will remain the same. The FREE plan on a Sprint phone is 500 MB/mo and doesn't take very many YouTube videos to gobble up the entire 500MB.

Thanks for the response.
    I am actually planning to change from using a cell phone to using a cellular hotspot. Cellular hotspots are similar to phones except that they run on different operating systems and don't have built in software for making calls.
    Right now I have unlimited talk/ unlimited text / 2GB of data.
    I am hoping that my cellular hotspot can use 2GB/mo for free.
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,282FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Netherprovinc3 ,
    My oldest phones are 500 MB free. I am unaware of any free offerings that are 2GB/mo. My oldest phones are on the Sprint network. FreedomPop does not offer any Sprint hot spots at the moment. The SIM in the phone will not work in the hot spot. A different Sprint SIM part number would be needed.

If you are considering the Netgear Unite that FreedomPop is recently selling, that one works on the AT&T network and it comes with the proper SIM installed when shipped to you. Free is 200 MB/mo.

'Some' of the Sprint phones have a tethering menu option enabled. You might get that to work - maybe. Google your model and tethering to see if others learned how to re-enable the menu option. The instructions can get to be complicated.

@Netherprovinc3 ,
    My oldest phones are 500 MB free. I am unaware of any free offerings that are 2GB/mo. My oldest phones are on the Sprint network. FreedomPop does not offer any Sprint hot spots at the moment. The SIM in the phone will not work in the hot spot. A different Sprint SIM part number would be needed.

If you are considering the Netgear Unite that FreedomPop is recently selling, that one works on the AT&T network and it comes with the proper SIM installed when shipped to you. Free is 200 MB/mo.

'Some' of the Sprint phones have a tethering menu option enabled. You might get that to work - maybe. Google your model and tethering to see if others learned how to re-enable the menu option. The instructions can get to be complicated.

I got the 2GB/mo plan in early 2016. I still have it today.
    I agree that you can turn a phone into a wireless hotspot. But, I was wanting something more built for the job.
    @Netherprovinc3 - The Netgear Unite is hot spot built for the job. I have two. The FREE plan is 200 MB /mo. I've tried using my phone's SIM in the Netgear, it would not recognize it. I use my phone's tethering and the Unites, they work about equal. The hot spot has longer lasting battery.
    If I had a SIM with 2 GB free/mo, I'd use my 'portable battery charger' more often to keep the phone running longer. My battery booster is 15,000 Mah and lasts all day with some still left over running my phone in tethering mode. I don't game on the phone so it doesn't heat up as much. My phone is limited to 250 MB free /mo.

@Netherprovinc3 - The Netgear Unite is hot spot built for the job. I have two. The FREE plan is 200 MB /mo. I've tried using my phone's SIM in the Netgear, it would not recognize it. The hot spot has longer lasting battery.

I was hoping for a cellular hotspot that is powered with an AC cable and has a CAT5/5e/6 port. I made another post on here a couple of months ago and a rep said that no such thing is available.
    I would think that there are some cellular hotspots (the portable kind that you describe) available on the Sprint network (through Freedom Pop). I would think that it's just a search of what supports the bands that Freedom Pop offers.
    @Netherprovinc3 - At pesent they do not sell any.
    They used to sell 2 years ago Netgear 6100D router. Looks like the the 6-8" box router with two antennas of the back. BUT it has a SIM card and accesses cellular towers of Sprint variety. Unfortunately I have one, it uses data during idle hours. I in the course of 30 days the entire free account is more than exhausted.

Currently there is offering by AT&T called NETGEAR Nighthawk LTE Mobile Hotspot Router
    Hmmm, I copied the text above but got a slew if info with the copied text. I'll leave it in for reference. To buy one UNLOCKED is $299 without a contract with AT&T.
    ------------------------------------------
    Star RatingsStar Ratings
    Star RatingsStar RatingsStar Ratings
    3.0 | 62 reviews
    Color:Steel Gray
    Capacity
    512 MB
    Device Condition
    New
    Pricing Options
    $10.00
    /mo.
    $199.99MSRP
    Requires 0% APR 20-month installment agreement, well-qualified credit and service. Other options available. See pricing details

DUAL-BAND DUAL-CONCURRENT WI-FI
    SECURE ACCESS
    24-HOUR BATTERY LIFE
    DATA OFFLOADING

See features and specs
    Express Shipping
    Delivers between Jun 12, 2019 and Jun 14, 2019
    . . . . . . .
    TechBuzz blog

Community forums

Legal policy center
    Privacy policy
    Terms of use
    Broadband details
    Advertising choices

Accessibility
    Site map

©2019 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved.
    TRUSTe
    Feedback This link will open a new window
    Your chat may be monitored and recorded for quality purposes.
    Send

They used to sell 2 years ago Netgear 6100D router. Looks like the the 6-8" box router with two antennas of the back. BUT it has a SIM card and accesses cellular towers of Sprint variety. Unfortunately I have one, it uses data during idle hours. I in the course of 30 days the entire free account is more than exhausted.

So someone should be able to buy that today from a 3rd party and use it with Freedom pop. By "idle" I assume that you mean you are not using it? I wonder what it's using data for in that case? Firmware update? You have a server set up for something?

There are many who have investigated the 6100D and found that the cause is that it "calls home" frequently. It might be once an hour or maybe more often. This calling home costs data. This happens even if nothing is going on with usage at all. I left mine with NO connections to the WiFi and no LAN cables plugged in and it still continued to use data. Each calling isn't seeming to be very much but over the month the total accumulates to over 500 MB !
    The determination is that it is built into the firmware installed in the device. There has been NO updates since the 6100D came out that even tried to change this section.

There are many who have investigated the 6100D and found that the cause is that it "calls home" frequently. It might be once an hour or maybe more often. This calling home costs data. This happens even if nothing is going on with usage at all. I left mine with NO connections to the WiFi and no LAN cables plugged in and it still continued to use data. Each calling isn't seeming to be very much but over the month the total accumulates to over 500 MB !
    The determination is that it is built into the firmware installed in the device. There has been NO updates since the 6100D came out that even tried to change this section.

I hear open source software calling our name :)
    In the mean time, power it off.