I would like to get some clarification on "enabling" Top Off and clarification on credit paid.

jezearijezeari Posts: 15FreedomPop Newbie
In order to not be "suspended" so I could have time to borrow some data from Freedom Pop friends when my data ran out yesterday. I enabled "TopOff" and chose to click on $10 credit rather than $20 credit, however FP charged $20 to my PayPal account. Now it is seems impossible to "disable top off" and retrieve my $20 credit without signing up for another service at $6.95. It also seems this credit "expires" after 30 days, but can be reactivated if needed. I don't think any of this is even legal and want to get definitive information about it. I have looked this topic up in the community forums, several have asked the same question. All the answers have been deleted. I have taken screenshots and will decline the above $20/19.84 charge with my credit card bank. Please tell me how to retrieve my credit of $20/19.84 and disable Top Off? I was not warned/alerted when "enabling Top Off" that I would be charged $20 instead of the $10 button that I clicked on. In addition I was not warned nor advised that I would not be able to disable Top Off, nor was I warned the $20 was non refundable. In addition as I understand, if I do not use the $20 by the end of 30 days I will lose it. Can someone please clarify Top Off policy. In this day and age, a credible company would state the facts with every step.

Answers

• Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,274FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jezeari -
    First - if you bounce a change back to them from your bank, a paragraph in the TOS that we all checked (agree) to start an account is if you do that the account and related things are canceled without a chance to re-instate allowed. This is only useful with the 'parting shot' because then you are not continuing any business relationships past that point anyway.

Now on to the rest. The $10 & $20 options are for a manual top-up. Automatic top-ups are $20 each at the present time. The top-up credits go inactive if there is no activity changes for 30 days straight. Yes, you can be diligent to check and redo it but eventually I slipped and forgot 2 more times now my balance is $57.93. I do not pay the $6.99 for privelidge of suspending the account when out of data. In 10 months I'd have spent $69.90. Compare that with my 'mistakes' of last 18 months ($57.93) And those credits are useful when I run over.

In your online account, click on Billing and in history box select "top-up credits". Scroll all way to bottom to see link to re-activate the credits if they have been deactivated. Review the history list to see what day you last re-activated the credits to know when to log back in and do it again.

The top-up policy is listed in the TOS. Although the lawyers mess a bit too much with English language to keep it clear for the rest of us that have to click agree to do business.

Here is off top of head summary: When you use up all your data and then FP checks the credits balance. If below $2 - do a topup. Use the credits to cover the latest usage and check balance again.. Conceivably one could manually top-up while balance is over $2 with just a $10 bump. Beating out the automatic top-up feature from kicking in. I don't bother too much bother.

Mostly the credits are non refundable. Unless charged less than 30 days ago. Even then it's difficult to get refunded.

I was warned with pop-up window announcing the 'rule' and the button active is "OK". I hear lots of folks are hitting return key to speed thru the setup or what have you and buzz right past the pop-ups the just blink quickly. Some others the pop-up warning never appears at all. One person posting on the forum here mentioned that they pressed one key and waited to read everything each time and did not ever see the pop up warnings.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
  • jezearijezeari Posts: 15FreedomPop Newbie
    Two days ago was when this all happened. I was warned on my phone about being out of data, and given a link. I clicked on the link and saw that top off was being offered and was disabled and a button each for $10 and $20 credit. The $10 button was highlighted so I clicked on enable. However $20 was taken out of my PayPal. Of course in addition, I can't get rid of the enable Top Off feature now. I didn't see any other terms and conditions or advice, or warnings about what would or wouldn't happen after clicking "enable".
    One more thing since this just happened two days ago, there is a possibility I can get a refund? Never in three years have I added credit or enabled Top Off. Are you saying FP will just keep adding to the credit amount if I don't use it or forget to activate it. I was able to get some shared data from my FP friends, so all I used of the credit so far is $.18. I have enough data now to get me through to the 19th without using any of the credit. .
    I just read the terms of service on Top Off and I do not see where it says once enabled you cannot disable. I also think the way the $10 and $20 buttons are setup with the $10 highlighted is **** and switch. WHO KNOWS NOT TO CLICK ON ENABLE THINKING THEY ARE LOADING $10. I will definitely be declining these charges on my credit card. All but the 16 cents I used. I have plenty of screen shots.
    And I never saw any popups.
  • Rich Sias (16th)Rich Sias (16th) Posts: 3,274FreedomPop Newbie, FreedomPop Master, FreedomPop Expert ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jezeari - It sounds like you have an older account like many of mine that I have. They existed before the mass of rules preventing the easy switching on/ off of the automatic top-up. Top ups were $10 when I started my oldest accounts.

Usually the account suspends just as it runs out of data and waits for month cycle to reset. On rare occasions it doesn't react fast enough and ends up like 16 cents in the hole and with no authority to charge a top-up would suspend indefinitely. I had to get attention of an admin here to reset things. Might take from couple days to couple weeks to get it all back right. The click you did was the "instant" cure but managed to switch your account to the "newer" rules. I would have expected the same as you, to be charged ONCE for $10 and to continue with current setup.

I just reviewed the top-up settings page and the $10 & $20 are above the "Add" button. WAY over to the left is the automatic top up ENABLE switch. Even if the clicking of the Add $10 changed the grandfathering of rules to the newer ones on top-ups, I still do not see how it was to change the add charge from $10 to $20.

@CarlosG , @EuniceL , I did you a 'favor' and called attention of Admins here to review your account and possibly credit back things and maybe even restore the 'grandfathering'. But I'm not as sure on that last one. If response is not satisfying enough then there is that last parting shot.
    Be my Valentine ZTE, Victory, LG Volt, 803S, & 4 SIMs
    Thanks Rich and Carlos for all the information, advice, and calling attention to Admins. I truly appreciate your assistance.......Mary Field
  • CarlosGCarlosG Posts: 2,255 admin
    jezeari said:

Thanks Rich and Carlos for all the information, advice, and calling attention to Admins. I truly appreciate your assistance.......Mary Field

We're happy to help. Have a great week!
This discussion has been closed.